Impossible to install High Sierra in laptop Asus G74SX, configure Capitán perfect full for Asus G74SX

5 posts in this topic

Hey, good afternoon, everybody,

First of all, I want to thank all the colleagues who every day make this forum the biggest in the world, really, thank you all.

Currently I have a problem with my laptop, it is an Asus G74SX that in the firm can see all the details.

I have tried more than 8 or 10 config.plist files to be loaded in clover, without success, it is never able to reach the installation window of High Sierra, actually I managed to install some time ago "Captain" but I need to start working with High Sierra, it is very good operating system and also, it still has compatibility with Nvidia graphic cards.

Please help me to see if I can finally enjoy my laptop and make everything work for real, because I have never been able to make everything work as if it were an original equipment.

I leave images of the errors so you can see them more easily.

With all my heart, thank you very much!

20200616_193358.jpg

20200616_202512.jpg

Edited by LuisImpreza
Insert img

15 minutes ago, Hervé said:

GTX 560M is Fermi, i.e. no good beyond El Capitan because Fermi cards are very poorly/not properly supported in Sierra/High Sierra. You'll have to disable the dGPU and run solely on the HD3000 iGPU.

For the rest, post your zipped Clover EFI folder and specify which version of Clover you use.

Hi Hervé, my laptop not have graphics Intel.

My EFI Folder to 5103 version:

EFI

Thank you very much! :)

Edited by LuisImpreza

40 minutes ago, Hervé said:

In that case, stick to El Capitan; you won't be able to run Sierra or High Sierra on this laptop with Fermi graphics.

If your dGPU is on an MXM-B (3.0) module, you may be able to consider swapping it out for a Kepler module if that is at all supported on the laptop. If it were, given that Kepler graphics are supported OOB from Sierra to current Catalina (Mojave and Catalina only support nVidia cards of the Kepler generation, nothing else), you could consider one of those Kepler MXM-B (3.0) modules. There are also Kepler MXM-A and Kepler 2.0 MXM-A modules too but I can't remember if they can be interchanged (I think they can). I've read that some of those Kepler MXM models can be obtained for very cheap (eg: Quadro K610M).

It's a real shame, because the graphics card that this laptop has, is very powerful and also with 3D technology, which I like very much and I use it.

In that case, I'll stay with the captain, the problem comes from the fact that I don't know how to make a SSDT or DSDT file in order to make all the components of my laptop work 100%.

To know which exact KEXT files I need and not to include junk kext that are not useful.

Could you help me out, Hervé?

The files are extracted in the zip, because I pressed F4 in clover before sharing with you.

I can change the title of the post if you want.

Thank you very much indeed.

On 17 de junio de 2020 at 4:10 PM, Hervé said:

You simply need to identify all hardware components of your laptop and only install the kexts that are relevant to those components. I'm talking about items such as Ethernet, Wifi, bluetooth, audio, card reader, etc.

Components that are part of the Intel chipset should all be natively supported without the need for any add-on driver; these include items such as SATA controller, USB controller, etc. To me, you've got unnecessary kexts in that respect and that extends to NullCPUPowerManagement or VoodooTSCSync.

Throwing all sorts of things to the Hack is an excellent recipe for trouble and failure. Of course, you have to sort out your Clover config file too, especially on the patches and SMBIOS side. I can't even imagine any Hack running properly without a suitably chosen SMBIOS. Your config shows none whatsoever...

Good luck in your endeavour.

I'm sorry @Hervé, I provided you with the High Sierra installer's EFI folder.

I'll upload the file immediately.

Many times it gives error in the boot after clover, I think it is because there has to be some incompatibility...

I am very new and I lack a lot of experience to understand all this.

The Asus G74SX does work:

Wifi OK
Sound OK
Nvidia OK graphics

Webcam OK

It doesn't work:

USB 3.0
Bluetooth.

External mic

Hotkey
Percentage battery.
Thermal temperature sensors.

Thank you very much for everything really @Hervé

A hug.

EFI Asus G74SX

Edited by LuisImpreza

On 6/17/2020 at 4:10 PM, Hervé said:

You simply need to identify all hardware components of your laptop and only install the kexts that are relevant to those components. I'm talking about items such as Ethernet, Wifi, bluetooth, audio, card reader, etc.

Components that are part of the Intel chipset should all be natively supported without the need for any add-on driver; these include items such as SATA controller, USB controller, etc. To me, you've got unnecessary kexts in that respect and that extends to NullCPUPowerManagement or VoodooTSCSync.

Throwing all sorts of things to the Hack is an excellent recipe for trouble and failure. Of course, you have to sort out your Clover config file too, especially on the patches and SMBIOS side. I can't even imagine any Hack running properly without a suitably chosen SMBIOS. Your config shows none whatsoever...

Good luck in your endeavour.

@Hervé? You can close post please. Thanks

Edited by LuisImpreza