This site is a disaster. Is it ever maintained?

apianti

3 posts in this topic

Is this site still maintained? There are constant caching issues with expired certificates. Posting takes on the magnitude of tens of minutes in some instances (it's always at least thirty seconds and seems to be getting worse as time moves from the relaunch) causing lots of double posting, which then become merged. However, the merge is broken so you can't properly edit or quote these comments, if you can at all anyway. Because sometimes you randomly get that you can't edit your own comment, or that the content does not exist to edit. I won't get a notification or see a response while I'm logged in (even if I clear the cache) but I log out and then I see that there are multiple responses, log back in and I don't see them, then like some period of time later it notifies me and they appear. Search is dead, if you can actually get a response, there are always zero results. What is going on? These are just absolutely killing the ability to use this site. Is there any forum optimization or software updating happening? I see basically all of these things every time I'm at the site.... It's getting very old.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

What is going on?

Well... the truth is that there're no more people logistically capable of maintaining the site. The current owner (Fubra) only uses this site to generate revenue (traffic and ads), they do not even care about updating the current forum software version (IPS V4.3.6) while the latest software version is V4.4.10 that includes a tons of security updates and improvements, so I let you to imagine what does that mean.

Before there was Poco doing a huge job for over a decade by maintaining this mastodon but didn't hear from him since a long time. I just hope he's alright, especially with Covid-19 sanitary situation.  :(

All I can to say is that I entirely share your sentiments. I just hope that things get better but only the future will tell us.

BR

fantomas

• Like 4

I'm new here, but have been going through the OpenCore documentation to rebuild my Hackintosh from scratch. Almost finished  getting Mojave+Clover switched to Catalina+OC. I'm impressed by the quality, thoroughness, and organization of the docs.

Was trying to start a thread about the insanelymac.com site's expired SSL certs when I happened across this thread.

Kind of as a way of saying thanks -- I don't have time to maintain an entire site, but you said there's no one currently able to do it, I could probably sort out the SSL certificate stuff (when loading any given page, I'm seeing at least 3 different certs, 2 are expired) and set it up to automate updating the certificates before they expire - which is how LE is meant to operate.

My day job is Linux automation/SRE stuff. Happy to privately provide IRL credentials/references/etc so you know I'm not some nutter. Would like to help fix at least the expired cert stuff if I can.

• Like 2