[Solved] OC 0.5.8 Catalina Black screen for seconds - minutes after wakeup from sleep

dmpcoke

7 posts in this topic

Hi,

I followed the OC guide, and installed Catalina 10.15.5 on my PC.

The installation went very well. Most parts also work well after I login to the desktop except the following
issue:

Each time I tried to log back into the desktop from sleep, I would get a black screen very shortly after I entered the desktop.

And black screen will last from a few seconds to a few minutes, no exact lasting time.

Keyboards and mouse are still working during black screen, I can see the operations after the monitor works again.

It connects LG monitor via DP port and I tried to modified the dp version between 1.2 and 1.4, got the same issue.

Attached my entire OC folder, I'm so appreciated if someone could help me check it out, or tell me which part I should focus on.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. Here is my PC summary: Dell Optiplex 7060 MFF

CPU Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-8100 CPU @ 3.60GHz; 8th Gen, Coffee Lake
GPU Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630
RAM Team Group 32 GB (2 × 16GB), 2400 MHz, DDR4

Chipset

Intel 300 Series LPC (Q370) – A306
Audio Realtek ALC255/3234 (Codec ID: 0x10EC0255)
Ethernet Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I219-LM
WiFi/BT M.2 BCM43224 802.11a/b/g/n
Storage Samsung SSD 970 EVO 500GB
USB Ports Type-C × 1,USB 3.0 × 5
Video Output DP × 2
Monitor

LG 4K 3840 x 2160 @ 60 Hz

BIOS v1.4.2

OC.zip

Edited by dmpcoke
Issue Solved

On 6/2/2020 at 11:54 AM, dmpcoke said:

Hi,

I followed the OC guide, and installed Catalina 10.15.5 on my PC.

The installation went very well. Most parts also work well after I login to the desktop except the following
issue:

Each time I tried to log back into the desktop from sleep, I would get a black screen very shortly after I entered the desktop.

And black screen will last from a few seconds to a few minutes, no exact lasting time.

Keyboards and mouse are still working during black screen, I can see the operations after the monitor works again.

I'm using Clover, but I'm responding in case this helps.  When I had display issues with my UHD 630 after sleep, the problem was that I did not have Intel ME enabled in BIOS.  Could your issue be Intel ME related?  Also related would be the presence of an IMEI device in your DSDT (which should be automatically addressed by WEG).  Here's my installation thread for my HP EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini in case it helps you.

A few other observations:

• Upgrade to the latest Lilu / WEG
  • Switch from IntelMausiEthernet.kext to IntelMausi.kext 1.0.3
  • I don't see any framebuffer patches in your config.plist and you have framebuffer-patch-enable = 0.  Is that intentional? 
Edited by tonyx86

1 hour ago, tonyx86 said:

I'm using Clover, but I'm responding in case this helps.  When I had display issues with my UHD 630 after sleep, the problem was that I did not have Intel ME enabled in BIOS.  Could your issue be Intel ME related?  Also related would be the presence of an IMEI device in your DSDT (which should be automatically addressed by WEG).  Here's my installation thread for my HP EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini in case it helps you.

A few other observations:

• Upgrade to the latest Lilu / WEG
  • Switch from IntelMausiEthernet.kext to IntelMausi.kext 1.0.3
  • I don't see any framebuffer patches in your config.plist and you have framebuffer-patch-enable = 0.  Is that intentional? 

Hi,

Thanks so much!

I did framebuffer patches before but none worked so I removed them later. As for framebuffer-patch-enable = 0, yes I set that intentionally since my pc can only output up to 2K if I set it to 1.

Also, I found a temporary solution to this issue:

Switch the monitor to dp 1.1, and it now works properly after sleep.

However, I will still try to troubleshoot the problem as you said and come back to update.

Thanks again for your help.

Edited by dmpcoke

@dmpcoke Be sure to get the latest EliteDesk800.zip archive attached to Post #1 in my thread.  I had inadvertently deleted properties device-id and AAPL,ig-platform-id from the config.plist that I posted.  These missing values are restored now in version .82.

@dmpcoke One other thing - does the property enable-hdmi20 address your HDMI issue?  Not sure.

Edited by tonyx86

8 hours ago, tonyx86 said:

@dmpcoke Be sure to get the latest EliteDesk800.zip archive attached to Post #1 in my thread.  I had inadvertently deleted properties device-id and AAPL,ig-platform-id from the config.plist that I posted.  These missing values are restored now in version .82.

@dmpcoke One other thing - does the property enable-hdmi20 address your HDMI issue?  Not sure.

Hi,

Thanks, I will try to enable-hdmi20 and test later even though I don't have HDMI ports on my PC.

Will come back and update.

Edited by dmpcoke

9 hours ago, dmpcoke said:

Hi,

Thanks, I will try to enable-hdmi20 and test later even though I don't have HDMI ports on my PC.

Will come back and update.

Sorry about my confusion - I was remembering HDMI from someone else's post.

You may also want to read more like this post here  - others have reported sleep problems when using only 2 displays.  You may need to disable your 3rd unused framebuffer connector.

Also see here.

Edited by tonyx86

On 6/4/2020 at 9:15 PM, tonyx86 said:

Sorry about my confusion - I was remembering HDMI from someone else's post.

You may also want to read more like this post here  - others have reported sleep problems when using only 2 displays.  You may need to disable your 3rd unused framebuffer connector.

Also see here.

Thanks @tonyx86

I've tried and found a solution finally, not that perfect but it works.

For anyone who may search for a possible solution here:

1. iGPU patching using Hackintool

>>In Patch - Patch - General, choose DeviceProperties, check Connectors, VRAM, Graphic Device,  Auto Detect Changes, Use AllData Method.

>> Click on "Generate Patch" and then overwrite config using "File" - "Export" - "Bootloader config.plist"

2. Choose dp 1.1 on my monitor OSD (My monitor still runs 4K @ 60 Hz even I switch to 1.1)

Now I don't get black screen anymore when it wakes up from sleep.

Edited by dmpcoke