[GUIDE] Catalina, Big Sur, Monterey, Ventura, Sonoma on HP EliteDesk 800 G4/G5 Mini - The perfect MacMini8,1 Hackintosh

deeveedee
867 posts in this topic

The OC EFI attached to Post #1 is now updated to OpenCore 0.8.6.  This is not a critical update, so if you are happy with your current EFI / OC version, my recommendation is to leave your EFI unchanged.  The changes included in this new EFI (OC0.8.6-EFI-R001) are:

Changes in OC0.8.6-EFI-R001 (from OC0.8.5-EFI-R001)

• EFI/BOOT: Update BOOTx64.efi
  • EFI/OC: Update OpenCore.efi
  • EFI/OC/Drivers: Update OpenRuntime.efi, AudioDxe.efi, ResetNvramEntry.efi
  • EFI/OC/Kexts:
    • Upgrade AppleALC.kext 1.7.5 -> 1.7.6
  • EFI/OC/config.plist
    • Add UEFI > AppleInput > PointerDwellClickTimeout (Number, 0)
    • Add UEFI > AppleInput > PointerDwellDoubleClickTimeout (Number, 0)
    • Add UEFI > AppleInput > PointerDwellRadius (Number, 0)
  • EFI/OC/Tools: Update tools
Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 3

Following @Jazzoo 's lead, I upgraded my HP EliteDesk 800 G5 Mini BIOS to version 02.15.00 Rev.A.  Similar to @Stefano Pugliese 's experience, the BIOS upgrade was not available via the built-in updater in BIOS.  To upgrade BIOS, I performed the following steps (using a BIOS Recovery flash drive):

1. In Windows (not macOS), visit the support website for the HP EliteDesk 800 G5 Mini (or the website for the G4 Mini if you have a G4 Mini).  I don't have Windows installed on my HP EliteDesk Mini, so I needed to use a separate Windows PC for this.
  2. Insert a USB flash drive into a USB port on the Windows PC and format it using FAT formatting
  3. Download the latest BIOS update executable (e.g, sp142789.exe for the G5 Mini or sp143306.exe for the G4 Mini)
  4. Run the BIOS update executable downloaded in step 3 above and follow the steps to create a Recovery USB flash drive.
  5. When prompted, select the USB flash drive that you inserted in step 2 above and allow the HP utility to create the recovery flash drive.   If the BIOS update executable does not create a recovery flash drive, manually create a BIOS recovery flash drive by copying the BIOS .bin file from the HP BIOS folder to \HP\DEVFW\FIRMWARE.BIN on the flash drive.
  6. Eject the USB flash drive and insert it into a USB port on your HP EliteDesk Mini
  7. Boot your HP EliteDesk Mini into BIOS configuration (press F10 while booting)
  8. Choose the option to upgrade BIOS and scroll down and click "Update System and Supported Device Firmware Using Local Media"
  9. Be patient while your HP EliteDesk Mini copies the new BIOS from your USB flash drive. This may require multiple reboots.  Do not interrupt the BIOS upgrade process.
  10. When the BIOS upgrade is finished, your HP EliteDesk Mini will boot normally

NOTE:

I upgraded my HP EliteDesk 800 G4 and G5 Mini BIOS using the steps I outlined above.  The BIOS upgrade executable for the G5 Mini worked fine for me and it created the BIOS Recovery flash drive without any problems.  The BIOS upgrade executable for the G4 Mini did not work for me, so I needed to manually create the BIOS recovery flash drive for the G4 Mini as follows:

1. Download the G4 Mini BIOS upgrade executable (e.g., sp143306.exe)
  2. Run the BIOS upgrade executable (sp143306.exe) to create folder c:\swsetup\sp143306 which contains the BIOS upgrade files.
  3. Create folder \HP on the USB flash drive
  4. Create folder \HP\DEVFW on the USB flash drive
  5. Copy the BIOS .bin file (q21_022100.bin) from c:\swsetup\sp143306 to \HP\DEVFW\firmware.bin on the flash drive.
  6. The BIOS upgrade file (firmware.bin) is now in folder \HP\DEVFW on your flash drive.  Proceed with the G4 Mini BIOS upgrade by continuing with step 6 in my procedure above
Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 4

@Stefano Pugliese I apologize for the mistake in my instructions.  I should have said to upgrade using local media (not external media).  I have made the correction in my instructions.  After inserting the USB flash drive with \HP\DEVFW\FIRMWARE.BIN, choose the option "Update System and Supported Device Firmware Using Local Media."

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, deeveedee said:

@Stefano Pugliese I'm sorry that my instructions did not help you.  I have no more suggestions.  Please contact HP for technical support.

Done
The answer is to start the machine holding down win+B for all the startup process (with the bios usb drive plugged in)

Nothing changed

Edited by Stefano Pugliese

@Stefano Pugliese Holding Win + B when powering-up the HP EliteDesk with the USB flash drive inserted is a shortcut for the same BIOS recovery that you perform when selecting "Update System and Supported Device Firmware Using Local Media." 

The only way to perform a BIOS recovery without changing the BIOS version is if the BIOS version on the recovery flash drive is the same as the BIOS version that is already installed.

I'm guessing since I don't know all the steps you performed, but when you used Win + B to perform your BIOS recovery, I suspect that you also downloaded the new BIOS version to your flash drive.

I'm not using Sidecar and so I don't provide FeatureUnlock.kext in my HackMini8,1 EFI.  If you are using FeatureUnlock.kext in your hack, I noticed that version 1.1.0 broke something for MacMini8,1 (the SMBIOS we're using for our EliteDesk 800 G4/G5 Mini).  The problem will be fixed with the release of FeatureUnlock.kext 1.1.1.  I'm only mentioning this for others and have no plans to include FeatureUnlock.kext in my EFI.

I gave my HackBookPro15,2 (HP Envy x360 i5-8250U) to my wife after restoring Windows (was running macOS Monterey perfectly).  My laptop is now the HackBookPro6,2 that I documented here.   Before I gave her the HP Envy laptop, I removed the BCM94360NG and replaced it with the original Intel Wi-Fi/Bluetooth card.  I installed the BCM94360NG in my HP EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini 65W using the steps below and Wi-Fi / Bluetooth are working without any problems in macOS Ventura 13.1 Beta 3.

BCM94360NG Installation Steps

• Install BCM94360NG card and connect antennas
  • Enable Bluetooth USB in BIOS (there are two items in BIOS that must be configured for working Bluetooth)
    BIOS System Options
    Spoiler

thumbnail_IMG_2254.thumb.jpg.9f611725880c47886ddc94a06954175d.jpg

BIOS Built-in Device Options

Spoiler

thumbnail_IMG_2253.thumb.jpg.052c24571435ea7ab048a3a3ed80696f.jpg

• Revise EFI as follows:
    • Create a new USBPorts.kext by editing the USBPorts-16.kext that I include in my EFI: Edit USBPorts-16.kext/Contents/Info.plist to remove port SS10 so that the Info.plist has only 15 USB ports while enabling port HS14 (for Bluetooth).  15 USB ports  is the max allowed by macOS Ventura.
    • Replace the existing USBPorts kext in my EFI with this new USBPorts.kext that now includes USB port HS14
    • Add AirportBrcmFixup.kext to OC/Kexts and in the config.plist Kexts > Add (addition of this kext is probably optional but just a habit for me)
  • Boot Ventura and configure Wi-Fi
  • Turn-on Bluetooth and connect to Bluetooth devices

When I installed the Wi-Fi card in the EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini, I didn't like that the antenna connector made contact with the mounting screw (which is grounded) (this doesn't happen with the Intel card, because the Intel card's antenna ports are both to one side of the mounting screw).  To insulate the antenna connector from the mounting screw, I placed electrical tape over the mounting screw as shown below.

Installed BCM94360NG Card

Spoiler

thumbnail_IMG_2243.jpg.158377c33326aecd2db257530f1520d1.jpg

My home Internet connection is 75 Mbps down and 5 Mbps up.  As you can see, with an 802.11a Wi-Fi link, I'm maxing out my home Internet speed.  For the test below, I'm 100 feet way from my router / AP on a different floor through several walls (wood /  drywall construction).  This Wi-Fi / Bluetooth card is fine for me.  If you have blazing fast Internet with a modern router / 802.11ac AP, this card will limit your performance as discussed here.  I am using the antennas that came with the EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini 65W.

My home Internet connection is 75 Mbps down / 5 Mpbs up, so this card is fine for me

Spoiler

804359296_Screenshot2022-11-28at8_46_31PM.png.710068fd54d6aada909091177d074b04.png

EDIT: New Internet connection speedtest

I checked with my Internet provider and learned that I'm supposed to be getting 10Mbps up, so I re-ran the test with a different speedtest (still connected via Wi-Fi).  New results are below.  Up and down speeds are good.  It appears that different speed tests produce different results.

Spoiler

676914512_Screenshot2022-12-10at1_12_01PM.thumb.png.5f0a3e392cad833acf9f1dc914c39f5c.png

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

@hiphopboy I don't understand your question.  I have speakers plugged into one of the audio ports on the front of the HP EliteDesk 800 G5 Mini.  With the EFI that I've attached to Post #1, the line out is automatically detected and is available as an audio option.

Audio Options

Spoiler

1207011934_ScreenShot2022-11-29at9_59_06AM.png.75795d427efe2ed9b2cd54cee6549a1e.png

• Thanks 1

@hiphopboy The SFF is a different PC. This thread is for the 800 G4/G5 Mini. You will need to determine your audio chipset and look at AppleALC documentation to determine your PC's layout-id. If you can't figure it out, ask your question in the appropriate thread or start your own thread.

On 11/29/2022 at 9:20 AM, deeveedee said:

@hiphopboy The SFF is a different PC. This thread is for the 800 G4/G5 Mini. You will need to determine your audio chipset and look at AppleALC documentation to determine your PC's layout-id. If you can't figure it out, ask your question in the appropriate thread or start your own thread.

Its the same with Configuration Hp 800 G4 Mini, then hope u patch a rear line out for all

• Confused 1

@hiphopboy  I don't want to clutter this thread with discussion about the SFF.  I have started a new thread here.  If you still have questions about SFF audio, please continue the discussion in this thread.  Thank you.

For others who want help with patching their rigs that are not 800 G4  / G5 Minis: it is not that I don't want to help you.  I just don't want to clutter and confuse this thread (which has taken many hours to produce and maintain) with discussion about different PCs (like the 800 SFF) or discussion about unsupported options (like Intel Wi-Fi/Bluetooth).  You are free to find a thread that is relevant to your question or to start your own threads as I have done here.  If you think I can help, just tag me in your question with @deeveedee .  Please note that I'm an unpaid volunteer who freely contributes my time here just like you do.  My advice (right and wrong) and opinions (strong and stubborn as they may be) are mine and are offered here thanks to the wonderful forum made available by the nice admins and moderators at InsanelyMac.

Thank you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I haven't yet upgraded this HackMini8,1 EFI to OC0.8.7 (the new OC Release is now available here).  It's not a critical update for us, but I do plan to update the EFI attached to Post #1 to OC0.8.7.

For those who are using FeatureUnlock for SideCar, you'll want the new version of FeatureUnlock.kext here.  I won't be including FeatureUnlock.kext in my posted EFI.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

On 12/6/2022 at 11:57 AM, deeveedee said:

I haven't yet upgraded this HackMini8,1 EFI to OC0.8.7 (the new OC Release is now available here).  It's not a critical update for us, but I do plan to update the EFI attached to Post #1 to OC0.8.7.

For those who are using FeatureUnlock for SideCar, you'll want the new version of FeatureUnlock.kext here.  I won't be including FeatureUnlock.kext in my posted EFI.

Good both with 0.8.8 anyone change the SMBIOS still using keyboard and mouse by usb ?

@hiphopboy The answer to your question is in Known Issues.   You will learn a lot by thoroughly reading the Known Issues, the methodology used to create this solution and this entire thread.  If you are still asking questions about your SFF, please start a new thread that is focused on your rig and ask your question there.  If you need me to look at the question in your thread, ping me @deeveedee.  This thread is for the 800 G4/G5 Mini.  Thank you.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

I'm still running OC 0.8.6 and Monterey as my production baseline on my HP EliteDesk 800 G5 Mini (65W, i9-9900).  I continue to test Ventura on my HP EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini (65W, i5-8600) where I have also installed a BCM94360NG Wi-Fi/BT card as described here.  After I installed Ventura 13.1RC as I described here, I needed to reboot one more time in order for Wi-Fi to work.  When Ventura 13.1RC installation first completed, Wi-Fi was not working.  Wi-Fi is working perfectly after a reboot.  Note also that it appears that Apple has fixed the FAT32-formatted USB Write performance with the release of Ventura 13.1RC.

I am reporting this for others and because I continue to monitor the operation of Ventura on our HackMini8,1, but Monterey is still my production baseline macOS and it will be until Ventura is required in order for me to upgrade XCode.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 2

I have attached a new OC EFI to Post #1.  This new EFI is upgraded to OpenCore 0.8.7 with the changes listed below.  This is not a critical upgrade.  If you are happy with your current EFI, keep it.

Changes from OC0.8.6-EFI-R001 -> OC0.8.7-EFI-R001

• EFI/BOOT: Update BOOTx64.efi
  • EFI/OC: Update OpenCore.efi
  • EFI/OC/Drivers: Update OpenRuntime.efi, AudioDxe.efi, ResetNvramEntry.efi
  • EFI/OC/Kexts:
    • Upgrade AppleALC.kext 1.7.6 -> 1.7.7
    • Upgrade WhateverGreen.kext 1.6.1 -> 1.6.2
  • EFI/OC/config.plist
    • Add Misc > Boot >  HibernateSkipsPicker (Boolean, false)
  • EFI/OC/Tools: Update tools
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I tried to install Windows 11 via BOOTCAMP on my HP EliteDesk 800 G4.
Everything is fine until the PC is reset. At that point the Win11 installation should start, but it doesn't.
PC boots normally OC and loads macOS Monterey which I have on PC.
Im asking for help.

Greetings,

On 12/21/2022 at 8:10 PM, luky35 said:

I tried to install Windows 11 via BOOTCAMP on my HP EliteDesk 800 G4.
Everything is fine until the PC is reset. At that point the Win11 installation should start, but it doesn't.
PC boots normally OC and loads macOS Monterey which I have on PC.
Im asking for help.

Greetings,

Why would you use BootCamp? The HP EliteDesk 800 G4 is a PC, so just install Windows 11 on a separate physical drive from the MacOS and use the F9 key to select the appropriate boot disk at power up.

• Like 1