[GUIDE] Catalina, Big Sur, Monterey, Ventura, Sonoma on HP EliteDesk 800 G4/G5 Mini - The perfect MacMini8,1 Hackintosh

deeveedee
858 posts in this topic

My latest OC EFI (OC0.6.9-EFI-r002) may not include the latest HFSPlus.efi driver here. I'm not certain, but it does appear that my included HFSPlus.efi file size is different from the HFSPlus.efi included in the OCBinaryData Master. I'm not sure if we'd notice any difference and am just pointing this out in case you want to replace your current HFSPlus.efi for testing.

All - I am looking for tested/proven Device Properties to be included with the macOS install instructions here for HP EliteDesk G4/G5 Minis.  If you would like to volunteer your Device Properties for others to use, please create a new post in this thread as follows:

• In your post, provide a description of your device properties (see my example below)
  • Attach your device properties to your post as a compressed (.zip) .plist by following the attached example

------------------------------------------
Example Device Properties Post: 3 x DP -> DVI Adapters

• Graphics Device Properties: 3 x DP -> DVI adapters
  • Audio Device Properties: Audio over DP / HDMI is disabled with property No-hda-gfx

3xDP-to-DVI.plist.zip

*** WARNING *** If you perform this drive caddy modification, make sure that you thoroughly clean the modified drive caddy so that you don't introduce metal fragments into your PC ***

These instructions are a continuation of my original instructions here.

I modified the SATA drive caddy in another 65W HP EliteDesk 800 G Mini in order to be able to install two M.2 NVMe SSDs and a 2.5" SATA HD. This mod was a bit more difficult than my first, so I'm sharing my lessons learned.

1. I needed to slightly bend the tabs circled here:

Spoiler

thumbnail_IMG_1565.thumb.jpg.c56acf7d52d87fd898312d0ef5e3dfde.jpg

I needed to bend the upper two tabs "down" toward the motherboard and the bottom two tabs "up" away from the motherboard, so that the top of drive caddy (top as viewed in the photo) sits a little higher (to provide clearance above the M.2 NVMe SSD). Bend the tabs a little at a time and assess your adjustment after each bend. The fan needs to clear the M.2 NVMe SSD so that it spins freely and the fan should sit flush on the mount points without wobbling.

2. I inserted cardboard washers under the caddy fan to raise the fan slightly as pictured here:

Spoiler

thumbnail_IMG_1566.thumb.jpg.88b6d26453a289270c4dbe1e557a32d8.jpg

With these mods, two M.2 NVMe SSDs and the 2.5" SATA HD fit perfectly in the 65W HP EliteDesk 800 G4/G5 Mini.

Edited by tonyx86
  • Like 2

I'm continuing to run Catalina 10.15.7 on my HP EliteDesk 800 G5 Mini using the OC 0.6.9 EFI attached to Post #1. The latest Catalina security update installed without any issues.

About This Mac: Catalina 10.15.7 (19H1217)

Spoiler

1605551311_ScreenShot2021-05-24at5_48_49PM.png.ee1cf531954f32b276049097ad1759bd.png

EDIT: After applying the Safari 14.1 Security Update, I needed to reboot before Safari would work properly.

Edited by tonyx86

I started working on a G3 Mini, but I abandoned it after I couldn't get it to wake from sleep (a known HD 630 problem).  If you search, you'll find others who have installed macOS on the G3 Mini.  If you want to attempt it yourself, follow my approach here and use my G4/G5 Mini EFI (attached to Post #1) as an example.  I don't have my G3 Mini EFI anymore, but from what I remember, my G3 Mini EFI resembled my G4/G5 Mini EFI with the following differences:

• SMBIOS iMac18,1 instead of MacMini8,1
  • SSDT-PMCR is different (copied from a real iMac18,1 ACPI) and there is no need for SSDT-PPMC (already in the unpatched DSDT)
  • An ACPI patch is required to prevent kernel panic at boot.  Search for "FIX for boot hangs after BIOS update (ACPI PATCH)"

If you start your own G3 Mini thread and post your attempted solution with questions, ping me and I'll take a look.  I don't want to work on the G3 Mini in this thread.

Good luck!

On 5/27/2021 at 3:18 AM, tonyx86 said:

I started working on a G3 Mini, but I abandoned it after I couldn't get it to wake from sleep (a known HD 630 problem).  If you search, you'll find others who have installed macOS on the G3 Mini.  If you want to attempt it yourself, follow my approach here and use my G4/G5 Mini EFI (attached to Post #1) as an example.  I don't have my G3 Mini EFI anymore, but from what I remember, my G3 Mini EFI resembled my G4/G5 Mini EFI with the following differences:

• SMBIOS iMac18,1 instead of MacMini8,1
  • SSDT-PMCR is different (copied from a real iMac18,1 ACPI) and there is no need for SSDT-PPMC (already in the unpatched DSDT)
  • An ACPI patch is required to prevent kernel panic at boot.  Search for "FIX for boot hangs after BIOS update (ACPI PATCH)"

If you start your own G3 Mini thread and post your attempted solution with questions, ping me and I'll take a look.  I don't want to work on the G3 Mini in this thread.

Good luck!

I found this EFI but my HP 800 G3 computer doesn't have a vga card

https://www.reddit.com/r/hackintosh/comments/i3qanu/hp_elitedesk_800_g3_sff_catalina_on_opencore/

https://github.com/BlurrySasquatch/OSX86-HP-EliteDesk800-G3-SFF-Catalina

My first version of an OC 0.7.0 EFI is now attached to Post #1. This new EFI for Open Core 0.7.0 includes the updates below. After changing EFIs, reset NVRAM before booting macOS with the new EFI.

OC 0.7.0 EFI R001

• config.plist
    • Changed ACPI>Quirks>ResetLogoStatus from False to True
    • Added Kernel>Quirks>ProvideCurrentCpuInfo (Boolean: False)
    • Added Misc>Entries>Item0>Flavour (String: Auto)
    • Added Misc>Security>AllowToggleSip (Boolean: False)
    • Added Flavour key to Misc>Tools>Items
    • Changed PlatformInfo>Generic>AdviseWindows -> AdviseFeatures
    • Changed UEFI>Output>GopPassThrough from Boolean (False) to String ("Disabled")
    • Added UEFI>ProtocolOverrides>AppleEg2Info (Boolean: False)
  • Kexts
    • Updated AppleALC.kext from 1.6.0 to 1.6.1
    • Updated NVMeFix.kext from 1.0.7 to 1.0.8
    • Updated VirtualSMC.kext from 1.2.3 to 1.2.4
    • Updated WhateverGreen.kext from 1.4.9 to 1.5.0
  • Drivers
    • Updated HfsPlus.efi (neglected to do this for OC 0.6.9)

After further testing, I have reverted the change to ACPI>Quirks>ResetLogoStatus (changed from True back to False). When ResetLogoStatus was True, I observed strange boot behavior when booting other OSes (Windows and other macOS versions) with Open Core. The new EFI attached to Post #1 (OC0.7.0-EFI-r002) replaces OC0.7.0-EFI-r001 (described here) and includes the following changes:

OC 0.7.0 EFI R002

• config.plist
    • Changed ACPI>Quirks>ResetLogoStatus from True to False (reverted change from OC 0.7.0 EFI R001)

Important: When updating to a new EFI, Reset NVRAM before booting macOS with the new EFI.

I was thinking about switching from EFICheckDisabler.kext to RestrictEvents.kext, but as I noted here, I don't see evidence that eficheck is disabled when I use RestrictEvents.kext.

I've added RestrictEvents.kext as follows in my OC 0.7.0 config.plist:

config.plist: Add RestrictEvents.kext

Spoiler

753152655_ScreenShot2021-06-11at1_56_38PM.png.90cf9362bbfa2ea1a57a5e1f5c383bf5.png

Using kextstat, I have confirmed that RestrictEvents.kext is loaded.  Do I need to add any boot-args when using RestrictEvents.kext?

Edited by tonyx86

A note about my current HP EliteDesk 800 G5 Mini configuration that may help others:

I am careful about maintaining a fully operational production baseline for my G5 Mini. This means that I test OC config changes, new OC versions and macOS updates in a test environment BEFORE I introduce the changes to my production environment. I keep a USB with my working OC baseline, so that I have a fallback to boot my rig if I accidentally screw up the EFI on my SSD (it's happened and the USB makes recovery easy).

I have completely ditched Windows on my G5 Mini and operate with two M.2 NVMe SSDs (Western Digital Black) for macOS. One NVMe SSD has my production baseline (OC EFI Baseline and macOS Baseline) and the other M.2 NVMe SSD is my test environment (OC EFI testing and macOS testing). My current production macOS is Catalina and I'm testing Big Sur 11.4 with the apps / functions that I need.

When I am satisfied that Big Sur is ready for production (for me), I'll clone my production Catalina SSD to the test SSD and then upgrade the test SSD to Big Sur. After some more testing, my Big Sur SSD will become my production SSD and I'll change my Catalina SSD (the former production SSD) to my test SSD (e.g. for testing Monterey).

On top of the two M.2 NVMe SSDs, I have installed a 2TB 2.5" SATA HD (see here) on which I maintain backups and TimeMachine (only using TimeMachine for the production SSD).

In my opinion, the BCM94360NG M.2 card is a good Wi-Fi/Bluetooth option for our hackminis. Details below...

I'm hacking an HP Envy x360 15m laptop and wanted to replace the Intel Wi-Fi/Bluetooth with Brcm, so I splurged and purchased a Fenvi BCM94360NG M.2 card. The BCM card can be found for under $40 USD. Before installing the card in my laptop, I tested it in my hackmini.

The BCM94360NG is sized perfectly to replace the intel card in the existing M.2 2230 slot without any adapters. This is important if you are using both M.2 2280 slots and the 2.5" SATA HD Caddy (using the modification here). The antenna cable connectors in the HP EliteDesk 800 G5 Mini must be MHF4 because they fit the BCM94360NG connectors perfectly. I did find that the antenna connector alignment needed to be PRECISE in order for the antenna connector to snap onto the card connector, but once attached, the fit was secure. DO NOT force the antenna connector. The connectors will snap in place when they are propertly aligned. I ended up using a magnifying glass to be certain of the alignment before pressing/snapping the connectors.

The Intel color coding of the connector labels (MAIN and AUX) is opposite the BCM color coding (but the numbering is the same):

Intel Wi-Fi Card

Spoiler

1992603079_ScreenShot2021-06-15at12_19_26AM.png.838ba24ec5fb369dd763bc6c0e365ec5.png

Brcm Wi-Fi Card

Spoiler

s-l1600.jpg.568b9be3246a47d109ac30f76865dbdb.jpg

Be sure to fasten the antenna connectors correctly when replacing the Intel card with the BCM card. Double and triple-check your connectors to make sure you don't have them reversed.

After replacing the Intel card with the BCM94360NG and making sure that the antenna connectors were correctly fastened to the card, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth worked without any Kexts. I haven't tested watch unlock or anything exotic, but basic Wi-Fi and Bluetooth functionality is solid.

Edited by tonyx86
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

There probably aren't any Acidanthera updates in OC 0.7.1 or Kexts that affect our HackMini's, unless you're testing Monterey. I upgraded OC and Kexts on my HackBookPro14,1 just because this update was so easy and I probably won't get around to upgrading my HackMini8,1 for a while.  

If you want to apply the latest Acidanthera updates to your HackMini8,1, the following steps are the way I'd proceed:

1. Prep a USB stick to store your new EFI for testing
  2. Copy your current OC 0.7.0 EFI to the USB stick EFI (your upgrade steps will be different if you currently have an EFI with an older version of OC)
  3. Download OpenCore 0.7.1 (Release)
  4. Run OC 0.7.1 ocvalidate (in Utilities) against your current config.plist in your USB stick EFI. You'll see two missing properties that need to be fixed: ACPI>Quirks>SyncTableIds and Kernel>Scheme>CustomKernel. Use a plist editor (I use XCode) to copy these properties from the OC 0.7.1 Sample.plist (in Docs) to your config.plist. Re-rerun ocvalidate against your config.plist to confirm the fixes.
  5. Copy the following from OC 0.7.1 that you downloaded to your USB stick EFI (to replace the old versions): OC/OpenCore.efi, OC/Drivers/OpenRuntime.efi, BOOT/Bootx64.efi
  6. Update the following Kexts in your USB stick EFI (you may have other Kexts that need to be updated): AppleALC.kext, Lilu.kext, NVMeFix.kext, VirtualSMC.kext, WhateverGreen.kext, IntelMausi.kext
  7. Boot from the USB stick, Reset NVRAM and confirm that macOS boots with your new OC 0.7.1 EFI. After macOS boots, confirm that you're booting with OC 0.7.1 (I check Hackintool's Boot tab)
  8. If you're happy with your new EFI, replace the EFI on your SSD with the updated EFI on your USB stick

I uploaded an EFI for OpenCore 0.7.1 (attached to Post #1). This new EFI for OC 0.7.1 includes the following changes from OC0.7.0-EFI-r002:

OC 0.7.1 EFI R001
config.plist

• Added ACPI>Quirks>SyncTableIds (Boolean, False)
  • Added Kernel>Scheme>CustomKernel (Boolean, False)

Kexts

• Upgraded AppleALC.kext from 1.6.1 to 1.6.2
  • Upgraded Lilu.kext from 1.5.3 to 1.5.4
  • Upgraded VirtualSMC.kext from 1.2.4 to 1.2.5
  • Upgraded IntelMausi.kext from 1.0.6 to 1.0.7
  • Upgraded NVMeFix.kext from 1.0.8 to 1.0.9
  • Upgraded WhateverGreen.kext from 1.5.0 to 1.5.1

When you upgrade from a previous OC version to OC 0.7.1, be sure to reset NVRAM before you first boot macOS with the new EFI.

• 2 weeks later...

I was unable to upgrade from XCode 12.4 to XCode 12.5.1 after upgrading from Catalina to BS.  My solution was a clean install of BS.  Details below...

I finally had to upgrade from Catalina to Big Sur, since I need XCode 12.5.  I attempted to perform an in-place macOS upgrade which appeared to go well, but I could not upgrade XCode 12.4 to 12.5.1 (even though the macOS upgrade to BS seemed to complete without issues).  Since I was performing my Catalina -> BS upgrade on a separate SSD, I was able to make multiple attempts at the OS and then XCode upgrade, but none of my attempts succeeded.  I tried both an AppStore upgrade of XCode and I tried downloading XCode 12.5.1 from developer.apple.com, but neither XCode upgrade would work.  In all attempts, my rig would freeze at 95+% complete.  The only way to recover from the frozen system was to force shutdown by holding the power button.

XCode 12.5.1 upgrade almost complete

Spoiler

1168732452_ScreenShot2021-07-20at4_10_33PM.png.d00021711b0930bb9f035e35310c1866.png

I was finally able to upgrade from XCode 12.4 to XCode 12.5.1 by peforming a clean installation of BS, migrating my data from Catalina to BS and then upgrading XCode.  With a clean install of BS, the XCode 12.5.1 upgrade proceeded without issues.

Edited by tonyx86

I'll never take for granted the fact that we're running macOS on our Windows PCs. These EliteDesk Minis think they're Macs! The Big Sur 11.5 update was painless with the OC 0.7.1 EFI attached to Post #1.

About This Mac: Big Sur 11.5

Spoiler

991878504_ScreenShot2021-07-22at10_21_01AM.png.3de8a56db19630d526aad57237c5f741.png

GB5 CPU Benchmark

Spoiler

GB5-MM81-i9-9900.png.a0a429dd2f428d82be6a6e7d4264a0ac.png

Edited by tonyx86