Need help troubleshooting "DSMOS has arrived", "Sound assertion in applehdadriver at line", "ioconsoleusers gioscreenlockstate 3" and other errors (HS, GTX 1060)

2 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I have been struggling with problems getting my GTX 1060 to work on macOS for around 7 months now and I just do not know what to do anymore. I have gone through hundreds of posts on the internet on different forums and no possible fix has worked for me. I have almost made my mind to sell this card and get a Sapphire RX 580 (which doesn't have good service in my region). But before doing so, I just wanted to give this card a last try (as I am mainly using it for gaming on Windows and thus hesitating to replace) and I am hoping an expert here on this forum can guide me in the right direction.

The specs: 

• Gigabyte H61M-s
  • EVO 860 500 GB (APFS formatted)
  • i3-3220
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6 GB GDDR5X (currently using HDMI)
  • 16 GB DDR3 RAM
  • macOS 10.13.6, dual booted with Windows 10 on a different drive

Full EFI: https://drive.google.com/open?id=12IeTk6tmMMaNgK0uf_hXfLyyMAWc_4I7

Config.plist: https://pastebin.com/XfLKiRbu

Contents of Clover/Drivers/UEFI: 

• FSInject.efi
  • SMCHelper.efi
  • VBoxHfs.efi
  • DataHubDxe.efi
  • ApfsDriverLoader.efi
  • AudioDxe.efi
  • AptioMemoryFix.efi
  • EmuVariableUefi-64.efi
  •  

Contents of Clover/kexts/Other:

• Lilu.kext
  • RealtekRTL8111.kext
  • VirtualSMC.kext
  • USBInjectAll.kext
  • VoodooPS2Controller.kext
  • NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext

The main problem is that whenever macOS is booted up with nvidia webdrivers enabled (nvda_drv=1), after reaching the login screen, the display starts to blink and cycle through 3-4 different screens. The first is the login screen with a blurred HS background, the second is a black screen with cursor in corner, the third is a black screen displaying ACM and IOConsoleUsers errors, etc. 

Here is the imgur link containing the pictures of the screen with those error codes: https://imgur.com/a/f7ePcrs.

Here's the YouTube link to the 60 FPS video of the display, showing exactly what happens (including the verbose screen): 

The IOConsoleUsers error that is displayed on the login screen is also shown at the end of the verbose screen before the apple logo. Two popular (similar) solutions to this error (which I tried 5-6 times with no success) are the following:

Spoiler

Disable nvidia in clover, go to recovery partition, open terminal and enter the following, pressing enter after every line:

• cd /Volumes/yourdiskname/Library/Extensions

• rm -rf NV*

• rm -rf GeForce*

• kextcache -i /Volumes/yourdiskname

Use /yourdisk\ name/ if your disk has a space in its name.

Now reboot and try to boot into your macOS High Sierra install with nv_disable=1 as boot argument and unchecking Use Nvidia Web Drivers in Graphics Injector.

After that, install the latest web drivers

Reboot, you should now have everything working!

Spoiler

I opened Terminal from clover boot menu and ran these following commands

cd /Volumes/yourHSdiskname/System/Library/Extensions/
rm -R GeF*.*
cd /Volumes/yourHSdiskname/Library/Extensions/
rm -R GeF*.* NVDA*.*
cd /Volumes/yourHSdiskname/
sudo touch ./Library/Extensions/ ./System/Library/Extensions/

Later I rebooted and then used this:

Mount the HS drive's EFI partition and change the SIP setting (CsrActiveConfig) from #####'s default 0x3 to 0x0 which turns on SIP and save

Reboot

and later installed Nvidia web driver. Next, without rebooting I used this:

In the Terminal, "touch" the two major kext directories:
sudo touch /Library/Extensions/ /System/Library/Extensions/
:ch: Now, mount the EFI partition and change the SIP (CsrActiveConfig) setting back to 0x3 and NvidiaWeb setting to "true";

:ch: Reboot

The same instructions are present in some other posts on different forums with slightly different order of steps, and nothing worked for me. I have literally tried every possible fix I could find on the internet to try to get GPU acceleration to work. I have tried different SMBIOS, reinstalled webdrivers multiple times both with SIP enabled and disabled, used the nvidia script by Benjamin Dobell, again both with SIP enabled and disabled. I also once got the EFI folder from another user with a successful build who has the same GPU, and tried replacing mine with it, and I still had that exact problem of screen blinking on login screen, which makes me I believe that everything is fine inside the EFI partition, and the problem lies somewhere outside of that. 

I later on tried to look at the verbose screen and noticed that it displays some more errors, such as "DSMOS has arrived", "Sound assertion in applehdadriver at line ...", etc. Could someone please analyze the whole verbose screen in the above video, and let me know of all the other problems and their possible fixes? Maybe these other problems are causing me not being able to solve that IOConsoleUsers problem and thus, they need to be fixed first.

(Please note that I have also tried installing macOS Sierra on a different drive, and unlike High Sierra, it doesn't even boot up when webdrivers are enabled and remains stuck on the verbose screen with that "IOConsoleUsers" error.)

Please help. I am just so tired now and have spent so many days in the past few months trying to get this to work, all gone to waste. Any nvidia hackintosh experts here who can assist me? I'll otherwise have no other option than to unwillingly sell this GPU for an RX 580. :|

Edited by manav20

1 hour ago, Hervé said:

Seems like you've gone gone through all the alleys though I can't see why you'd use NvidiaGraphicsFixup kext with the Wed Driver. I also assume you always installed the Web Driver that matched your High Sierra build (version v378.10.10.10.15.121 is not the latest...). Under those conditions, I'd too consider selling the card and replacing it. AMD RX580 is an excellent choice (ideally Sapphire, avoid XFX) that you should not regret. It'll allow to upgrade to current macOS Catalina and beyond.

I actually replaced whatevergreen with nvidiagraphicsfixup later to see if it fixes the problem. 

I was still hoping to find some solution to get the 1060 to work. The main reason that kept me from going for the RX 580 is that my current GPU has a 5 years warranty from Zotac, compared to the 3 years on RX 580 from Sapphire.

My country is on a complete lockdown currently and I'll be able to sell the 1060 only after that. If somehow I am able to get this card to work during this time, that would be really great and will curb the need to get the 580.

This system earlier had a GT-210 which worked flawlessly with macOS with just "InjectNvidia" enabled. I used to use FCPX without any problem. Why it doesn't bother to work with 1060 even after so much of struggle is beyond my understanding.

Edited by manav20