[KEXT] Tired of low Geekbench scores? Use RadeonBoost!

CMMChris

133 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, CMMChris said:

Because I can merge properties with it. Easiest way to get the job done. There are other kexts as well that use MergeNub for that purpose.

Would you mind if I added this to AGPMInjector?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Pavo said:

Would you mind if I added this to AGPMInjector?

You mean the additional device properties for each GPU I use in my kext? Better wait until this one is finished. There are some reported issues I have to deal with. For some reason it doesn't work with an eGPU right now and Navi14 support appears to be broken at the moment.

17 minutes ago, DocXavier said:

Hi CMMChris, many thanks! It works on my RX460

Unlikely, the Kext doesn't contain the RX460 device id.

6 hours ago, Simonej said:

Is it compatible with AGPMInjector?

It's just injecting device properties so it shouldn't be interfering with anything else.

Edited by CMMChris
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, CMMChris said:

Unlikely, the Kext doesn't contain the RX460 device id.

Ops ... It was a false test with Geekbench¡¡ I made it just before installing your kext with a result of 11k aprox. Restart, test again and 21k ... because of that I thought the kext was working, sorry ... I have tried right now disabling the kext, and result was 21k ...

It would be possible to ad RX460 device?

Anyway, many thanks¡¡

Nice! Thanks for this very user friendly method of tweaking.

macOS 10.15.4 - ASUS RX 5700, kext put to Clover/kexts/Other

Before:

• OpenCL: 43361
  • Metal: 38024

After:

• OpenCL: 53861
  • Metal: 59954

On Windows OpenCL is 64951 so it is a nice improvement indeed!

@r!ppz No, it does not improve gaming performance.

Most games are performing bad on macOS because of the bad implementation of the graphics API (most games are using an outdated OpenGL API, not Metal, for ex. CSGO is horrible with 130 FPS on macOS, 250+ on Windows). Unfortunately only developers could improve the performance by tweaking their games to perform better.

I just test with OpenCore

AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 Compute Engine

574913860_ScreenShot2020-04-18at4_58_00AM.thumb.png.34fd65fadb8b8ae6a9526221786c307e.png

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, r!ppz said:

What about Metal games like World of Warcraft?

If I guess correctly (from your signature) you are using an RX 5700 XT. In wow your GPU will never be on 100% utilisation because the game itself is not that demanding. So you might see no difference with/without the kext, but of course you can try and correct me if I'm wrong. If there is a game that could maximise GPU utilisation, that might see a little FPS increase.

I tried Unigine Valley bench (OpenGL), ended up with 93 avg. FPS with and without kexts. in Borderlands 2 (which is using Metal) avg. FPS was ~180 FPS with/without the kext. CSGO (OpenGL) is the same with ~120 FPS

1 minute ago, kushwavez said:

In that fact you might see a little increase in my opinion, try it and let us know!

I cranked up to 100% render scale. It can sustain 60fps now in crowded areas. However, that card gets so loud. Never heard it that loud before lol.

11 minutes ago, r!ppz said:

I cranked up to 100% render scale. It can sustain 60fps now in crowded areas. However, that card gets so loud. Never heard it that loud before lol.

I think it's just because now the game can utilise more power, and the fans will ramp up to stay the card cool (note: macOS and Windows using different profiles for fan controlling). 

New version 1.2 added in first post. Vega10 support has been removed (Vega 56, Vega 64, Vega Frontier).

Reason:
People have observed fan control being broken when using this kext like it was the case prior to the release of macOS 10.14.5 Mojave. You remember? 10.14.5 was the macOS release that fixed the fan issues with Vega 56, 64 and Frontier cards. But you might also remember that exactly with this release the Geekbench scores have become lower as well.

Thanks to the developers of Whatevergreen we now know that Apple disabled the loading of the SMU Firmware to PC graphics cards with this release of macOS. macOS does now check for the device property "ATY,EFIVersion" before uploading the SMU firmware to the graphics card. Adding it back causes the SMU firmware to be loaded again and is the main reason for the increase in Geekbench scores. Anyhow, it also causes the Vega10 fan bug to come back.

It really looks like Apple never fixed the Vega10 fan control issues which apparently are caused by a bug inside the SMU firmware. So they simply did a dirty hack, disabling the firmware for all PC cards and thus essentially crippling them in some way.

Since I cannot fix this issue and a silent card is more important than Geekbench scores, I decided to drop Vega10 support for RadeonBoost.

If you are pissed about the way Apple does handle bug fixing these days, open bug reports about this issue.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, CMMChris said:

New version 1.2 added in first post. Vega10 support has been removed (Vega 56, Vega 64, Vega Frontier).

Reason:
People have observed fan control being broken when using this kext like it was the case prior to the release of macOS 10.14.5 Mojave. You remember? 10.14.5 was the macOS release that fixed the fan issues with Vega 56, 64 and Frontier cards. But you might also remember that exactly with this release the Geekbench scores have become lower as well.

Thanks to the developers of Whatevergreen we now know that Apple disabled the loading of the SMU Firmware to PC graphics cards with this release of macOS. macOS does now check for the device property "ATY,EFIVersion" before uploading the SMU firmware to the graphics card. Adding it back causes the SMU firmware to be loaded again and is the main reason for the increase in Geekbench scores. Anyhow, it also causes the Vega10 fan bug to come back.

It really looks like Apple never fixed the Vega10 fan control issues which apparently are caused by a bug inside the SMU firmware. So they simply did a dirty hack, disabling the firmware for all PC cards and thus essentially crippling them in some way.

Since I cannot fix this issue and a silent card is more important than Geekbench scores, I decided to drop Vega10 support for RadeonBoost.

If you are pissed about the way Apple does handle bug fixing these days, open bug reports about this issue.

You can add PowerPlayTable to the Vega 10 section of the kext and it fixes the fan issue. Confirmed working from 2 users

• Like 2