motherboard and processor combination question

discochris

3 posts in this topic

Hello. I recently built my first Hackintosh, using an old Core 2 Duo that a friend gave me to play with. It's running Yosemite flawlessly. In fact, it runs better than my old Mac Mini Core 2 Duo.

So I've decided to attempt another budget build, though much better, and need some advice. I will likely make two builds out of all of these parts, but want to understand which combination of hardware will perform best.

The plan is to install either Sierra or High Sierra. I have every thing listed here.

Motherboard options:
Intel DH77EB or,
MSI PC67A-S40

Processor options:
i7-3770 - 3.4ghz
i5-2500k - 3.3ghz

The i5 is currently installed on the MSI board with a Cooler Master 212. It has a GeForce 7300 (which I would replace with something with HDMI capability)

The i7 is installed on the Intel board with the stock cooler. It has on-board HD4000 graphics.

RAM would be 32gb, and either way would have a 500gb SSD.

I guess I'm assuming that the i7 would be superior but with which board/cooler, etc.

Thanks!

Since the processors use the same socket and would in theory be interchangable, does one motherboard (Intel vs. MSI) have an advantage over the other assuming the use of the i7 processor and an aftermarket graphics card?

The reason I ask, is that the MSI board is already installed in the Fractal case I'm going to use for the main build, so it would be easier to not swap boards.