Disclaimer: All files of this article are from itpwd.com and rehabman ’s github.com
Graphics card: NVIDIA K1000M / K2000M / K2100M / K3000M / K3100M / K4000M / M1000M (ordinary TN1600x900 or 1920x1080), AMD W5170M / W7170M (DC2 or 4K), Intel HD4000 (ordinary TN1600x900 or 1920x1080) can be driven normally, but NVIDIA graphics card Brightness adjustment is disabled. AMD W5170m and w7170m are the best choices on 8570W and 8770W. The brightness can be adjusted normally and the graphics performance is very good. For WX7100m and WX4170m, the graphics card fans cannot be controlled, and other methods are required to control the fans. CPU: 3rd generation Intel Core i3, i5 and i7 (Ivy Bridge architecture, including all dual-core and quad-core. Celeron and Pentium are not supported), frequency conversion is normal. In general: If you have 8570W, 8770W, and hope you can get the best Hackintosh experience, it is recommended to replace the CPU with i7-3840QM / i7-3940XM, 8570W is recommended to choose W5170M, 8770W, and it is recommended to choose W7170M. In addition: If you want to have a 4K experience or perfect HIDPI, W5170m / W7170M supports 4K output, you can choose a suitable 4K screen to replace, but because 4K screens are mostly edp interface, and 8570W / 8770W motherboard is lvds interface, This requires a custom screen cable, which seems to be a difficult choice, but you can choose to do it yourself or buy it separately. In China, taobao.com is almighty and may be more suitable for you than eBay.
out of the box, the relevant hardware can be driven after the OS is installed, and it is easy to use without code operation.
Supported models: HP EliteBook 8470p, 8570p, 8570w, 8770w (click the model for official specifications)
Wireless network card: Recommended: BCM94360cd (requires ipex4 to ipex1,3 antenna 1300mbps), BCM94352HMB / DW1550 (2 antennas, 867mbps)
Wireless characteristics: no white list, wireless network card with Bluetooth does not support the Bluetooth function of the wireless network card (also does not need to shield the pins), but the wireless normal use, you need the Bluetooth function to use this machine comes with Bluetooth:
Clover version: 5103, keyboard mapping has been added Command key = Alt key, Option key = Win key
Supported systems: macOS Mojave 10.14.6 (18G103)-macOS Catalina 10.15.x,
Notes on known issues:
1. The touchpad and the left and right keys under the touchpad are normal, the pointing stick and the left and right keys above the touchpad are temporarily unavailable (recommended to use the second generation of Apple Magic Trackpad)
2. Indicator display problem (can be ignored, function is normal): Caps light is sometimes not switched in time, mute / wireless key may be yellow
3.AMD graphics card / Intel nuclear display has supported sleep and 15 levels of brightness adjustment, NVIDIA has no
4. If the AMD graphics card enters Huaping, refer to editing the Clover startup parameters, and add the Boot parameter radpg = 15 (the EFI file that has been configured with this parameter has been uploaded, refer to the following EFI-guided download link)
5. Using the above NVIDIA graphics card with a normal TN screen 1600x900 or 1920x1080 can not enter the installation interface, please check whether the VBiOS of the graphics card is exclusively for HP, thank you for your test face K1000M
6. Due to product design defects, the MSata positions of 8570w and 8770w cannot be used as boot disks, so EFI boot can only be placed on the main hard disk (turn the machine over and open the hard disk in the lower left corner of the cover, which is the main hard disk). Put on msata plate
Model: 8470p, 8570p, 8570W, 8770W 1 or more, it is recommended to use another notebook for emergency Hard disk: It is recommended to choose an SSD hard disk of 240g or more. Samsung or Intel SATA hard disk is a good choice. Wireless card: BCM94352HMB, DW1550, BCM94360CD, miniPCIe slot U disk: 1 for 16g and above, another winPE emergency USB disk is recommended If you use a rescue USB flash drive, it means that you read this post carefully
Make and install a USB flash drive:
Get the mirror: please do it your way Making and installing a USB flash drive: macOS command line production is recommended, whether it is a real macOS model or a virtual machine (although this is not allowed to be discussed in many forums)Or you can choose to use TransMac or ether under Windows. This is not recommended, but it is simple enough for those new to Hackintosh. Make boot U disk: If you know how to put the boot into the installation U disk, unzip the EFI file and put it in the EFI partition, or you can choose a fat32 format U disk to store the EFI file separately Note: EFI is an unzipped folder, not a zip or ISO suffix file.
BIOS settings From RehabMan
To start, set BIOS to defaults.
UEFI boot is enabled (hybrid/with CSM for best result) secure boot is disabled disable fast boot IGPU graphics memory set to 64mb, if available disable the serial port via BIOS option, if available disable "LAN/WLAN switching", if available disable "Extended Idle Power States" if you find it under "Power Management Options" disable "Wake on LAN" and "Wake on USB" disable Firewire/IEEE 1394, if your laptop has it for Skylake and KabyLake laptop, enable "Launch Hotkeys without Fn keypress" Note: If you have a laptop with switchable graphics, leave it enabled. You can still use it on Windows, although the discrete card will be disabled when running OS X by the ACPI patches provided here. If you want to also disable it in Windows (via BIOS option), make sure you read about the DGPU option in your model specific SSDT (source is in SSDT-HACK.dsl), as in the scenario where the DGPU is disabled by BIOS, DGPU should be set to zero.
Please modify according to the above BIOS settings: Press F9 after booting, select the boot efi to file option, which is generally the last item. Enter your boot USB disk to find the location of cloverx64.efi, select cloverx64.efi, press Enter, and enter the clover boot interface. Select the location of the install entry and press Enter. Enter the macOS interface, use the disk tool to format the partition you need to install to hfs + or apfs format, do not choose the encryption option, this will make your efforts in vain. Note: The disk must be in gpt format, and the remaining EFI space is greater than 200M, 300mb + is recommended. If it is not, please try to modify it in WindowsPE environment. This may cause you to lose the Windows system boot and disk data. Please prepare for backup.
After formatting the partition successfully, close the disk tool and select install, you will find the partition you installed, and follow the interface prompts. When the installation reaches a certain progress, it will restart. When restarting, select F9, enter from the boot U disk, select the disk partition where you installed macOS (no longer the U disk installation), the installation will continue, and it may restart 2 ~ 3 times Every time, you need F9 to select the boot. After entering the installation interface, except for the first installation, select the U disk, and then select the disk installation partition. Eventually you will enter the settings interface. After following the interface prompts, you will enter the macOS system interface. Remember the system password and turn off the Find my mac option.
After the installation is complete, you need to hang the EFI partition of the disk, copy the EFI file of the U disk to the EFI partition of the disk, so that you can directly use the disk to boot, otherwise you need to select the U disk to boot each time. The mount tool can choose cloverconfigurator. If after copying the EFI file to the disk, the computer cannot recognize your clover boot, you can use the custom boot option of bios: set the custom boot path to \efi\clover\cloverx64.efi, and set it as the first boot, Use bootice or easyUEFI to increase the clover boot option under Windows and set it as the first boot. If you do not have a wireless network card available temporarily, you can use the USB binding function of your Android phone to share the network. This may require the HoRndis driver. It is not recommended to use a US wireless network card. If you need Windows or Linux, you can install it normally. Be careful not to let Windows overwrite your boot files.
For other uses of macOS and brew, please pay attention to forums and other communities. Hackintosh is just the beginning.
Finally, I would like to thank rehabman, vit9696 and others who contributed to Hackintosh. I also thank Cwen for his efforts to modify files and hardware tests. I hope that Hackintosh will be eternal.
Please comply with the laws and regulations of your country or region. My description may not be clear or professional, but I think it is necessary. I think the existence of Hackintosh is everyone's technical hobby and experience macOS, not as a substitute for macOS cheap hardware.
Run Vanilla OS X El Capitan, Sierra, High Sierra or Mojave in VirtualBox 5.x.x on a Windows Host
Following on from my previous guide on how to create a VMware virtual machine running Vanilla OS X El Capitan in Windows, I’ve decided to write a similar guide for creating a VirtualBox El Capitan VM.
The virtual machine should be useful for testing El Capitan and also for creating installers for use on a real machine/hackintosh.
There are other tutorials and videos on the net about running OS X on Windows machines using pre-made VMDK disk images but you can never guarantee what else is in there….
I’ve gathered info for this guide from several threads in the Multibooting and Virtualisation section of this forum and also the wider internet eg
@colt2 HOW TO: Create a bootable El Capitan ISO for VMware
@dsmccombs comment on faking Ivybridge Processor
@Tech Reviews video tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7X07U63lwg.
VirtualBox Forum: Status of OSX on OSX
Intel PC with four or more CPU cores running Windows 7 X64 or later OS (2 or more cores needed for OS X) 4GB or more RAM (2GB or more will be needed for OS X) Hard Disk with at least 40GB free for Virtual Machine Oracle VM VirtualBox v 5.0.34 Install OS X El Capitan app and Mac or Hack to prepare installation iso <-- Now, no longer necessary to have previous access to a Mac or Hack by building the Installer.app from scratch - see post#75 16GB or larger exFAT formatted USB stick to transfer El Capitan iso from Mac/Hack to Host PC
Prepare Installation ISO on your Mac or Hack
1. On your Mac or Hack, download "Install OS X El Capitan.app" from the App Store into your Applications folder.
2. Download and unzip the CECI.tool (attached to this post) into your ~/Downloads folder. The commands in this executable script are shown below for informational purposes. Note: you will need approx 16GB of free space on your hard disk for the script to complete.
3. Open OS X terminal, then run the following commands to execute the script:
cd downloads chmod +x CECI.tool ./CECI.tool 4. At the end of the process, you will have an El Capitan iso on your desktop - copy this onto an exFAT formatted USB for use on the PC Host later.
Create an El Capitan Virtual Machine in VirtualBox
1. Open the VirtualBox program and click the "New" button to create a new VM.
2. Select Mac OS X and Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan (64 -bit) for Operating System type and version. I named my Virtual Machine "El_Capitan", then clicked next...
3. Leave the Memory size at the recommended 2048 MB, then click next.
4. Choose to "Create a virtual hard disk now", then click the create button.
5. For the hard disk file type, the default is VDI (VirtualBox Disk Image) but I have selected VMDK for inter-operability with VMWare. Click next...
6. For Storage on physical hard disk, I have chosen the default Dynamically allocated (grows larger to a set limit as you need more disk space).
7. On the File location and size screen, you can set the location of the new virtual hard disk and its size - I recommend changing disk size to 40GB or larger. When you click the create button, you will now see your new VM in the VirtualBox main GUI.
8. Click the settings button on the Main Menu to tweak a few settings....
a. On the System/Motherboard tab in Boot Order, you can uncheck the Floppy Drive (who has these now?)
b. On the System/Processor tab, you can increase the allocated CPU cores to 2
c. On the Display tab, you can increase the allocated Video Memory to 128MB
d. On the Storage tab, click on the icon of the Optical Drive and select "Choose Virtual Optical Disk File".
Navigate and select the El Capitan ISO we created earlier...
e. Click the OK button to finalise the VM settings.
Patch El Capitan vbox configuration file with DMI Settings from a Mac
1. From the start menu, type cmd and click run as administrator to open an administrative command prompt.
2. Choose a Mac Model similar to your host system, then type the following lines, followed by <enter> after each line. Make sure you first close all VirtualBox Windows and the VirtualBox program, otherwise any changes you make won't stick...
cd "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\" VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemProduct" "iMac11,3" VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemVersion" "1.0" VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiBoardProduct" "Mac-F2238BAE" VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/smc/0/Config/DeviceKey" "ourhardworkbythesewordsguardedpleasedontsteal(c)AppleComputerInc" VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/smc/0/Config/GetKeyFromRealSMC" 1 MacBookPro11,3
cd "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\" VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemProduct" "MacBookPro11,3" VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemVersion" "1.0" VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiBoardProduct" "Mac-2BD1B31983FE1663" VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/smc/0/Config/DeviceKey" "ourhardworkbythesewordsguardedpleasedontsteal(c)AppleComputerInc" VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/smc/0/Config/GetKeyFromRealSMC" 1 Macmini6,2
cd "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\" VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemProduct" "Macmini6,2" VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemVersion" "1.0" VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiBoardProduct" "Mac-F65AE981FFA204ED" VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/smc/0/Config/DeviceKey" "ourhardworkbythesewordsguardedpleasedontsteal(c)AppleComputerInc" VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/smc/0/Config/GetKeyFromRealSMC" 1 3. Optional- For some host systems eg those with Haswell and newer CPUs, you might have to spoof an older CPU to avoid VirtualBox errors. You can try from one of the following if this happens:
To spoof Lynnfield i5 750 CPU
VBoxManage.exe modifyvm "El_Capitan" --cpuidset 00000001 000106e5 06100800 0098e3fd bfebfbff To spoof IvyBridge CPU
VBoxManage.exe modifyvm "El_Capitan" --cpuidset 00000001 000306a9 04100800 7fbae3ff bfebfbff or
VBoxManage.exe modifyvm "El_Capitan" --cpuidset 00000001 000306a9 00020800 80000201 178bfbff 4. Close the command prompt window.
Installation of El Capitan
We are now ready to start the El_Capitan Virtual Machine....
Installation should be relatively straight forward, just following the prompts of the OS X installer:
1. Select language, agree to legal terms
2. Use Disk Utility from the Utilities Menu to erase and format the virtual hard drive as a single partition GUID Mac OS X Extended. I named my drive "Macintosh HD" but you can enter whatever you like eg El_Capitan.
3. Quit DU and choose Macintosh HD to install El Capitan on.
4. After 20-30 min (depending on how fast your system is), the installation will complete. At this point, unmount the El Capitan ISO by clicking the Devices menu from the VM window, click Optical Drives, then choose Remove disk from virtual drive. The VM is now ready to reboot into OS X from the virtual hard drive.
5. At the welcome screen, choose your country and keyboard layout. You can skip transfer information, location services and logging in with your Apple ID if you wish…
6. Create a User Account and select your Time Zone. You can skip sending diagnostics and usage data to Apple….
7. Finally, you will arrive at the El Capitan Desktop.
8. Network/internet and audio should work OOB but on my system, the sounds were distorted. Unfortunately, there is no QE/CI and the VM resolution will be fixed without the ability to dynamically resize the VM window (no VirtualBox additions for OS X guests atm).
Customization with VBoxManage
1. You can change the default resolution of 1024*768 (after shutting down the VM) with the VBoxManage command from the Windows Administrative Command Prompt:
cd "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\" VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" VBoxInternal2/EfiGopMode N (Where N can be one of 0,1,2,3,4,5) referring to the 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024, 1440x900, 1920x1200 screen resolution respectively.
Update: For VirtualBox 5.2.x, the command for changing screen resolution has changed...
VBoxManage setextradata "<MyVM>" VBoxInternal2/EfiGraphicsResolution XxY (where X=Horizontal screen resolution, Y=Vertical screen resolution)
VBoxManage setextradata "<MyVM>" VBoxInternal2/EfiGraphicsResolution 1280x1024 2. Adding serials and other SMBIOS details for the System Information Screen
VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemSerial" "W8#######B6" VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiBoardSerial" "W8#########1A" VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemVendor" "Apple Inc." VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemFamily" "iMac" VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiBIOSVersion" "IM112.0057.03B" A listing of known issues with Mac OS X guests can be found in the VirtualBox Manual - link https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch14.html.
Vanilla Mavericks and Yosemite, Snow Leopard from Retail DVD
The same VM settings for El Capitan will also boot and run vanilla installations of OS X Mavericks and Yosemite . Attached to this post are installer scripts to create bootable Mavericks (CMI.tool) and Yosemite (CYI.tool) ISOs for VirtualBox and VMware.
With the respective OS X installer apps in the Applications folder, download and run the installer tools using terminal ie
To create a Mavericks ISO on your desktop
cd downloads chmod +x CMI.tool ./CMI.tool To create a Yosemite ISO on your desktop
cd downloads chmod +x CYI.tool ./CYI.tool Here is a screenshot of the VM running Mavericks 10.9.5...
Finally, those without a Mac/Hack to prepare the install media can purchase a retail Snow Leopard DVD directly from Apple and install OSX 10.6.3 on their virtual machines (Snow Leopard, Lion and Mountain Lion run quite happily in VirtualBox with 1 CPU, 1-2 GB of RAM and the rest of the settings unchanged from above). Once you update by combo update to SL 10.6.8, you can directly download El Capitan from the App Store for free .
UPDATE macOS Sierra 10.12 to 10.12.6: For macOS Sierra, use CSI.tool in post#51.
UPDATE macOS High Sierra 17A365: For macOS High Sierra, use CHSI.tool in post#73.
UPDATE macOS Mojave 18A391: For macOS Mojave or High Sierra, use macOS_iso_creator.tool on page 4 of thread.
UPDATE macOS Catalina Beta DP3_19A501i: For Catalina, @jpz4085 has made an automated batch file to create a Catalina VM in Windows with iMac 14,2 SMBIOS. You can still use my macOS_iso_creator.tool on page 5 to make an installer ISO to attach to the VM.
Good luck and enjoy