MacOSX_10.4.8DVD_AMD_SSE3_PPF1

l3bed

68 posts in this topic

I din't see any thread for : OSX_1048_AMD_SSE3-PPF2 so i post here.

Great job myzar everything works fine, the boot process is now fast.

I was able to install reboot and create my account without any problems or errors.

Just two thing as i post before :

- CharacterPalette is not working out bof the box

- Quartz Composer crash as before.

Congratulation for this new OSX_1048_AMD_SSE3-PPF2.iso.

Sometimes people keeping a low profile works faster than others.

If you need something i can do just tell me.

hello, I downloaded the file OSX_1048_AMD_SSE3-PPF2.rar from the :) bay

When I extract the file I obtain another file .ppf

Could you tell me how I can open it and how I can install the patch on my OSX 10.4.8 ?

Thank you

Edit: I solved... Inside the RAR file I found the PPF-O-MATIC Java

hello, I downloaded the file OSX_1048_AMD_SSE3-PPF2.rar from the :happymac: bay

When I extract the file I obtain another file .ppf

Could you tell me how I can open it and how I can install the patch on my OSX 10.4.8 ?

Thank you

Edit: I solved... Inside the RAR file I found the PPF-O-MATIC Java

Thanks for posting the solution, the first time I extracted the rar I didn't

seem to get the PPF-O-MATIC directory somehow, or so I though, I extracted

it into another directory with other sub directories and only saw the extracted ppf!

Wooky

Hi, Myzar, what's the change in the ppf2 compare to ppf1 ?

If it's just the bootcache kext, do you think you think you can make a small ppf based on ppf1 ?

The download speed here is really slow, 2k/s only... a small ppf3 will be really appreciated~

Thanks for posting the solution, the first time I extracted the rar I didn't

seem to get the PPF-O-MATIC directory somehow, or so I though, I extracted

it into another directory with other sub directories and only saw the extracted ppf!

Wooky

I did the same thing...

However... the ppf-o-matic works only on a bin/cue file (before OSX installation)

I'm looking for the possibility to apply the ppf2 patch on my 10.4.8 OSX HD without reinstalling the system.

myzar i am using : xcode_2.4.1_8m1910_6936315.dmg

thanks

For all you guy's

From the pirate :

all the fixes in ppf1 + the fix for the slow booting dvd in ppf1 + a bunch of kext tweaks to improve compatibility.

Diskutil will always use the mbr format so dumb people will not format their drive in gpt.

Sata is disabled on nforce4

Generally small tweaks and fixes, i consider this the final iso

I forgot it has Security Update 2006-007 as an installable pkg in the root dvd folder

This PPF2 is a patch needed to uptate :

MacOSX_10.4.8DVD AMD SSE3 TEST 1 dvd image.

You need to reinstall to get an updated OS X system.

Otherwise you can just install the security update.

At this time you must run amd_1048_new.txt with the patcher.

Just look for it inside the DVD in the MacOSXUpd10.4.8Intel.pkg

I wanted to test this PPF2 but still don't have any DVD-R to burn it so here is what I did :

patched the ISO file in window$

booted to my stable OS X disk, copied patched ISO on HFS+ partition, set it to read only (just in case)

mounted it, opened disk utility, erased my testing HD (20GB slave PATA drive) and created 2 MBR partitions.

First is 6GB, -> cloned mounted ISO to it, checking erase partition and unchecking checksum in diskutility. (process took 2 minutes)

then I shutdown (My OSX AMD box still can't reboot...)

boot, and at darwin bootloader (still booting from my master HD where my stable OS X install is) , I used rd=disk1s1 which allowed me to boot from the fake DVD (cloned ISO to HD partition)

booting was really fast, then I selected my native language (french) opened disk utility and formatted the second free partition to HFS+

back to installer, I did a normal install (unchecked languages and printer, selected titan patch for my 7600GT PCIe)

install process took only 5 minutes, despite working on a very old harddrive, it's still much faster than a real DVD !!

When prompted to reboot, still had to manually shutdown...

This method did not allow the slave drive to get darwin loader installed properly. I tried to do it manually, but did not manage to do it yet. Anyway, it's not really important since it's not a real native install method so it does not really prove anything... DVD has already proved to boot fine for others so I just wanted to report stability status, and an alternative install method...

So, still booting from the darwinbootloader from my primary master PATA disk, this time I need :

rd=disk1s2

to boot from the second primary partition of the slave PATA disk.

It booted fine (and fast), then I got the OS X 1st boot assistant which defaulted to english as usual...

Next I set up the box, go to international pref. pane, set my default language to french, log out and in, now finder is in french.

Applied the secupdate from the fake DVD partition, forced quit the installer when prompted to reboot, and shutdown.

Boot once again, using rd=disk1s2, flawless, everything seem to run fine with this new patched ISO

Keyboard viewer does not crash, AFP and SMB are working fine too.

If there's something else which needs to be tested, just let me know.

So far, it seems pretty stable and really deserves the "final" mention ! BTW, kernel is semthex beta8 27/11/2006

Thanks for this release tubgirl & myzar and others who deserve credits for it, it's a really nice one !

Hi you can try another method when you don't have a dvd burner, i never burn them that's why i missed the slow booting with ppf1. You can just mount it with dtools and install it in vmware selecting a real partition. It's very fast too and you can reboot in native when vmware install is finished

yep, that's what I did...

Actually, it was not hanging, it was just... long !!

So I could install it from vmware, but it took much more time. (I'd say 25 minutes) but it correctly installed darwin bootloader since I can now boot from it native...

So far, it works as well as my first attempt using "fake" DVD on cloned partition.

Maybe it did not install the darwin bootloader because the cloned partition was on the same drive as the destination partition for installation. I believe it could not write the MBR on the drive because it was in use.

The install process from native cloned DVD to partition was really the fastest OS X install I ever did so it could be nice to have a spare 8GB harddrive to clone any new DVD install iso for testing :unsure:

I think my vmware settings are not very good too, that must be the reason it was so slow...

I just reinstalled my stable partition using the fake DVD method and it worked perfect.

I backed up my datas and settings to another partition, installed, rebooted and imported datas and settings via OS X "transfer settings manager"

Everything ran smooth and fast. Complete install only took 7 minutes, importing datas and settings no more than 5 minutes.

That's a very good patched DVD IMHO !

But he can use the secupdate package in the dvd after the ppf is applied

That's what I meant.

I installed 1048 ppf1, and it's quite stable on my PC, except AC97 only sound in left channel

So I prefer to patch the original dvd with ppf2 and just install the security update on my ppf1 osx :rolleyes: