Black screen after boot after combo update

anolorat

1 post in this topic

Hey,

So I got a bit of a problem, I was running 10.13.3 and decided to update to the latest 10.13 release. The update began, but then complained it didn't have enough storage space, but the after a reboot I got the apple logo and progress bar, but when it tries to initialise the gfx/desktop I end up with a black screen and no cursor.

At this point I was like, okay I will just restore from my time machine, well this didn't quite go according to plan as my Application folder was ignored on the time machine so after restoring I end up being able to boot up and see my desktop, just no apps installed. Luckily I was able to run firefox from another location and download the combo update for both 10.13.3 and whatever the latest one is, but either way after installing I end up with the same problem as above, black screen after boot.

I have a vega56, and had the whatevergreen and lilo kexts installed, and the video card model was reported correctly in the system info.

Now I'm thinking if it's gonna be a giant ball ache I may as well update to Mojave, but I can't even do that cos I don't have a working app store to download it after a restore.

Motherboard is Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H, cpu is sandybridge i7 2600k. Running on APFS

Something in the initial bit of the update is causing the black screen after boot, as it still did it when the update failed to install. Is it messing with my EFI volume in someway?

Anyone have any idea what could be causing this issue?

Edit: I should also add that my display is a samsung 4k running over HDMI, and my reason for updating was to get 60hz (rather than 30hz) mode working over HDMI - which I may also need a pointer to if I can get this working again...

Thanks,

Edited by anolorat