Hi guys i am a small developer, i really like to use my sound blaster cards on my machines and i love also coding, so when i find the source code for the kx audio driver on git hub and then Eugene, the creator of kx audio driver decided to no longer maintain the project, i decided to start working on a mod of this driver and maintain it.
With my mod, created starting from the sources of the last official version of kx audio driver and all the small commiunity updates, i am working to keep the driver compatible with the latest mac os versions and to improove the driver over time.
Supported cards are:
- most of the Sound Blaster live!, live! 5.1 and live! 5.1 digital series (except for the cards not using the 10k1 architecture)
- sound blaster pci 512 and pci 256
- Sound Blaster Audigy, Audigy 2 and Audigy 2 zs series
- E-MU cards based on the 10k2 sound chip (like the EMU8852 aka 0404m, including the pcie version)
- Sound Blaster Audigy 4 (SB0610 only) and the Audigy 4 pro
- Sound Blaster Audigy RX (SB0155)
- other creative and e-mu cards based on the (10k1,10k2, 10k2.5 and CA10300 based cards)
The NOT supported cards includes (but are not limited to):
- ES1370/ES1371/ES1372/ES1373 based sound cards
- Any CA0106 based card and cards with similar architectures (like sound blaster live! 24 bit, sound blaster audigy SE SB0570, audigy LS and similars, but audigy SA is supported)
- Any sound blaster x-fi (some of them works on macOS using a modified version of voodoo hda)
- Any sound blaster recon3D
- Sound blaster Audigy FX
- Any sound blaster Z/ZS/ZX and similar series
- Any sound blaster AE5/AE7/AE9 series
- Any sound card without an emu sound chip
- Any ISA Sound card
In the time being the things i have modded or added with this mod are:
- cracking and stability fixes
- added a more proper support for the pci express Sound Blaster audigy rx SB0155 (which basically is an audigy 4 with a pcie bridge chip)
- more user-frienly names for the cards in the settings and other system menus (so the name will be, for example, SB live! 5.1 SB0060 instead of kx SB0060 [e880] witch was shown in the original driver)
- added support to sample rate changing and bit resolution change (the absolte worst supported quality is 7 khz at 8 bit dept while the absolute best is 192 khz at 32 bit depth)
- inputs support
- added boot args to manage the driver (more info on those soon)
What i'd like to implement but i don't know how to do:
- fix the support when using more than one card, to get all the cards shown in the settings and other menus,
- have the gameport/midi port of older cards to be used in mac os as a midi in/out
If other developers would like to join and help they are free to do so, this is a free open source project afterall, and also an hand from other people with testing and feedback will be nice.
LINKS and downloads:
- github repo: https://github.com/ITzTravelInTime/kx-audio-driver
(kext download coming soon, since an update is coming)
I'm currently using AppleALC inside /EFI/Clover/Kexts.
Sound works fine through Laptop speakers. However, as soon as I connect my earphones, i start getting a continuous buzzing sound. Can anyone help me with this?
Some users claim that using VoodooHDA they hear loud bump at system start and sound in system comes with noise.
Although this can be repaired with existing drivers I propose a version that do this automatically.
It started silently and have very clear output. The file is compiled as 32/64 and works from 10.6 up to 10.12.
The sources is in my signature.
There is a VoodooHDA,prefPane compatible with Sierra
Now there is a version 2.9.0 by Zenith432.
It can work with multichannel sound and play it on 5.1 analog system.