[GUIDE] ASUS Z170-DELUXE - i7-6700K - HD 530 & RX 5700 - [From macOS El Capitan 10.11.6 to Big Sur 11 - Windows 10]

kushwavez

57 posts in this topic

A really good motherboard with macOS compatible bult-in Wifi & Bluetooth

P_setting_fff_1_90_end_500.png

ASUS Z170-Deluxe (with Wifi)

BIOS: v3801

CPU: i7-6700K 4.0 to 4.2 GHz (w/o OC)

RAM: 1x 16 GB Corsair DDR4 2400 MHz

GPU: Intel HD 530 (Headless) & ASUS Radeon RX 5700 OC 8 GB

Audio: ALC 1150

Ethernet: I219V2, I211-AT

WiFi & Bluetooth: Broadcom BCM94360HMB Half-Mini-PCI-E

More Specs: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z170-DELUXE/specifications/

El Capitan 10.11.6 -> Big Sur 11 - Windows 10

What is working:

• BCM94360HMB Wifi and Bluetooth
  • AirDrop, Handoff, FaceTime, Messages, App Store, iCloud, etc.
  • Intel HD 530 (QE/CI tested, but now I'm using it in headless)
  • RX 5700 (QE/CI with 2 1080p monitors connected)
  • Sound (all ports)
  • USB Ports
  • Two Ethernet ports
  • macOS with a light OC (4.12 GHz - 4.5 Ghz, XMP, ASUS optimal)
  • ASUS HyperKit and M.2 with a KINGSTON NVMe SSD - 250 GB
  • Hardware decoding/encoding on both HD 530 and RX 5700 (HD 530 up to HEVC, RX 5700 at the time of writing VP9)
    • iGPU only (with QuickSync) is used in the default config.plist
    • To use dGPU for hw decode/encode and also use Intel QuickSync you need to start with "config_headless.plist" This will use iMac17,2 SMBIOS and shikigva=80
    • To use dGPU only boot with "config_amd.plist" also disable iGPU completely in BIOS. This will use iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS without iGPU
  • System Integrity Protection is Enabled by default. If you need to boot with SIP disabled you may use "config_debug.plist" or disable it manually in Clover settings. If you want Enabled SIP but with allowing unsigned kexts you may boot with "CsrActiveConfig = 0x01"
  • FileVault (on dGPU you might have output issues (blind password input) so use it at your own risk!)

What is not working:

• -

Not tested:

• Thunderbolt (no equipment)

Issues:

• On HD 530 if you have dual-monitor you'll have no signal on HDMI at boot. Have to replug the HDMI to get it work.
  • Sleep with HD 530 isn't working

BIOS Settings:

• Boot\CSM (Compatibility Support Module):
    • Launch CSM: Disabled
  • Boot\Secure Boot:
    • OS type: Other OS
    • Secure Boot State: Disabled
  • Advanced\System agent (sa) Configuration:
    • VT-d: Enabled
    • Graphics Configuration: (This is for HD 530 in headless)
      • Primary Display: Auto (to use dGPU only this must be PEG)
      • iGPU Multi-monitor: Enabled (to use dGPU only this must be Disabled)
      • RC6(Render Standby): Enabled (to use dGPU only this must be Disabled)
      • DVMT Pre-Allocated: 128M
  • Advanced\PCH Storage Configuration:
    • SATA Mode Selection: AHCI
    • HyperKit: Enable (if you have NVMe SSD with ASUS HyperKit)
  • Advanced\CPU Configuration:
    • Intel Virtualization Technology: Enabled
    • CPU- Power Management Control:
      • CPU- C-States: Enabled
      • Intel SpeedShift: Enabled

Getting ready for installation:

Installation:

• Create an installer with any method you know
    • Mac: App Store - createinstallmedia, gibMacOS
    • Windows: Use my guide to create an Internet Recovery for Big Sur 
      • You can use gibMacOS for older versions of MacOS
  • Copy my Clover folder to the USB's EFI folder
  • Boot with the Installer USB
    • If you have any problem (kp or freeze) boot with config_debug.plist to see what causes the issue

Post Installation:

• Download Clover Configurator and generate a new Serial Number for yourself

Some pictures:

884262691_Screenshot2020-11-13at10_37_50.png.2416a6ff1b22dcaff541ef3f1f8a0bd4.png

110295672_Screenshot2020-01-11at14_41_45.png.85a031007620b31a9d0f60f038382260.png

Screenshot-2020-01-11-at-14-42-06.png

K-perny-fot-2020-01-11-14-07-59.png

El Capitan 10.11.6

Spoiler

Screen-Shot-2020-11-02-at-22-14-15.png

Sierra 10.12.6

Spoiler

Screen-Shot-2020-11-02-at-21-36-08.png

High Sierra 10.13.6

Spoiler

Screen-Shot-2020-11-02-at-16-50-18.png

Mojave 10.14.6

Spoiler

Screenshot-2020-11-02-at-7-07-36.png

Catalina 10.15.7

Spoiler

Screenshot-2020-11-02-at-18-14-07.png

Windows 10 dual-boot (on one drive):

• My GUIDE to create a dual-boot with Windows 10 on the same drive:

Mounting EFI from Windows:

• Open cmd in administrator mode and type:
    • mountvol b: /s (This will mount your EFI)
      • Open Total Commander or Explorer++ in administrator mode to manage EFI
    • mountvol b: /d (This will unmount your EFI)

Useful Applications for Mac:

Useful Applications for Windows:

Notes:

• According to @albertoacj's comment Sidecar is only working in headless iGPU mode when using an AMD GPU, keep that in mind
  • No need to change anything inside Clover from El Capitan to Big Sur
  • For macOS Mojave and older you might need the full AirPortBrcmFixup.kext for full WiFi support 

Changelog:

2021.06.10: EOL -> PC has been sold, no further support. Theoretically macOS 12 Monterey will run without any issues -> Update Clover and kexts, you may also need to patch your USBs with SSDT (use Hackintool for that)

2021.04.12: Updated Clover to v5133: Fixes an issue where if FileVault is enabled, macOS OTA Installer entry cannot be seen

2021.03.08: Updated Clover to v5131, set UseARTFrequency to def value

2021.02.16: Moved EFI to GitHub, updated to Clover v5130

2021.01.27: Updated to Clover v5129 -> Recovery is now working

2020.12.06: agdpmod=vit9696 is needed for HD 530 dual-monitor, added to config.plist, replaced some drivers to get FileVault working

2020.11.12: Noticed that the CPU is always at 4200 Mhz, created an SSDT for proper CPU stepping. Updated to Big Sur release version, updated bootpack

2020.11.03: Tested El Capitan, Sierra, High Sierra, Mojave, Catalina, Big Sur

2020.11.01: Updated bootpack to Clover v5126, ready for macOS 11 Big Sur final release

2020.04.23: Corrected layout-id to use all audio ports, updated bootpack

2020.04.22: Deleted unnecessary boot-args, can boot without any custom boot-args (except agdpmod=pikera for RX 5700), updated bootpack

2020.04.20: Deleted unnecessary lines from config.plist, updated bootpack

2020.04.17: Replaced FakeSMC with VirtualSMC because FakeSMC is outdated (to see your frequencies use Intel Power Gadget) -> Removed unnecessary kexts, Updated all necessary kexts, updated Clover to v5112, updated bootpack, enabled SIP, deleted bootcamp theme

2020.03.26: Updated to 10.15.4 -> Updated WhateverGreen, Lilu -> Updated Clover to v5107

2020.03.23: Removed "EmuVariableUefi.efi" -> deleted, caused false nvram map, now it's native, updated Clover to v5106

2020.02.11: Updated to 10.15.3 -> No problem when/after installing

2020.01.19: Added ASUS HyperKit NVMe SSD to the "What is working" list

2020.01.12: Tested system with OC, added more informations to BIOS settings

2020.01.11: Added SmallTreeIntel82576.kext for 2nd Ethernet, Tested Ethernet ports

2020.01.11: First upload

Edited by kushwavez
EOL
  • Like 9

• 2 months later...

hey @kushwavez, just found your post trying to get my Bluetooth updated after updating to Catalina... my build it extremely similar, dual boot and everything... LINK to my Build

I was comparing the Kext list we were both using, what are all of the FaksSMC_###Sensors.kext files used for? I have not seen those before?

I might also comb through and compare our config.plist to see the differences

3 minutes ago, ABaller said:

hey @kushwavez, just found your post trying to get my Bluetooth updated after updating to Catalina... my build it extremely similar, dual boot and everything... LINK to my Build

I was comparing the Kext list we were both using, what are all of the FaksSMC_###Sensors.kext files used for? I have not seen those before?

I might also comb through and compare our config.plist to see the differences

You should try using BrcmBluetoothInjector.kext on Catalina. Without that my Bluetooth is not working. I tested out handoff, bt speakers, bluetooth internet sharing from iPhone, the only thing I can't test is Side Car as I have no iPad. FakeSMC sensor kexts is for iStat Menus to show my CPU, GPU, core temperatures and other values. Also I installed all of my kexts only to Clover/kexts/Other. Some people saying that you should not, but there is no problem with that. I have no custom kexts installed to L/E. 

funny you should say that... I was reading about Catalina and the problems people were having with Kexts in L/E... so I just moved all of mine from L/E to EFI/CLOVER/Kexts/Other and then rebuilt the cache... Here is the comparison of the Kexts we're using

1. AirportBrcmFixup.kext (2.0.5) | I'm using 2.0.6
  2. AppleALC.kext (1.4.5) | I'm using 1.4.7
  3. BrcmBluetoothInjector.kext (2.2.10) | I'm Not Using
  4. BrcmFirmwareData.kext (2.2.10) | I'm Not using, but I am using BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext (2.2.10)
  5. BrcmPatchRAM2.kext (2.2.10) | I'm using the Same
  6. CodecCommander.kext (2.6.3) | I'm Not Using
  7. FakeSMC_ACPISensors.kext | I'm Not Using
  8. FakeSMC_CPUSensors.kext | I'm Not Using
  9. FakeSMC_GPUSensors.kext | I'm Not Using
  10. FakeSMC_LPCSensors.kext | I'm Not Using
  11. FakeSMC_SMMSensors.kext | I'm Not Using
  12. FakeSMC.kext (6.26-357) | I'm using 6.26-322
  13. IntelMausiEthernet.kext (2.5.0d14) | I'm using the Same
  14. Lilu.kext (1.4.2) | I'm using the Same
  15. realtekALC.kext (2.0) | I'm Not Using
  16. SmallTreeIntel82576.kext (1.0) | I'm Not Using
  17. WhateverGreen.kext (1.3.7) | I'm using the Same

So I replaced my BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext with your BrcmFirmwareData.kext.... used your BrcmBluetoothInjector.kext.. and still no bluetooth?

What is CodecCommander?

12 hours ago, ABaller said:

So I replaced my BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext with your BrcmFirmwareData.kext.... used your BrcmBluetoothInjector.kext.. and still no bluetooth?

try clearing nvram with a hard reset, and don't forget to rebuild kextcaches after moving your kexts from L/E

edit: ah I see you rebuilt kextcaches

12 hours ago, ABaller said:

What is CodecCommander?

CodecCommander is required to fix problems like sound crackling or freezing. probably not needed so I'll delete that in the next update.

Edited by kushwavez

Just got my Bluetooth all working again... Thank you for the help!!

I ended up deleting BrcmPatchRAM2 and BrcmFirmwareRepo and replacing those two with BrcmPatchRAM3, BrcmBluetoothInjector, and BrcmFirmwareData from https://github.com/acidanthera/BrcmPatchRAM/releases

I also compared our two config.plist files... you have a ton more options checked than I do, it's worth looking at if you get a chance... When I built my hack I was very careful not to include anything that wasn't necesary.

config (export).plist

• 4 months later...

@adsasf use the zip from the main #1 post. Also you have a different motherboard but anyways the iGPU must be the same. Try it. I suppose the slow boot is because you are using HDD or a low-speed ssd. Use the config_debug.plist for debug informations from hangs in verbose mode.

Unfortunately my motherboard is broken now and my iGPU outputs are not working anymore so I can't really update the bootpack, but I'm pretty sure it's working as I tested/configured it and used my iGPUs and the RX 5700 for a long time before it's became broken.

• 2 months later...
Just now, verdazil said:

This will be install with Clover or OpenCore?

Clover. Since v5122 it has been integrated with OpenCore, so it can boot Big Sur just fine. I have a working OC EFI but I don't see any advantage by using it. They're almost equivalent in functions and performance, both good. My personal opinions that Clover is better because of it's GUI. You can edit so much things just from the GUI, easier to "automate" the whole select process, and best for multi-boot systems. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, kushwavez said:

@albertoacj

- Create the installer with createinstallmedia

- Mount your USB EFI

- Create an EFI folder, simply copy & paste the CLOVER and BOOT folder to it

- Boot from USB

I don't know what can be...  I have a 1080 ti, I bought a rx 580 to use with Hackintosh (not arrived yet) so I remove  the gtx 1080 ti and try only with Igpu HD530

the installer doesn't work, and qcode 4 shows in motherboard , z170 deluxe same yours. I plugged  gtx 1080 ti and the installer start to work and the first time I could see macOS Big Sur installer. And install complete but when I  try to boot give me a error and reboots. When I put the ssd in a usb case I start my MacBook holding alt and the system start o_O

Thanks all for help. 

@albertoacj Code 04 is "PCH initialisation before microcode loading", that shouldn't be an error. If it's working after you put back the GTX, then please go into UEFI settings and verify that your iGPU is selected for the output.

Advanced\System agent (sa) Configuration:

• Graphics Configuration: 
    • Primary Display: IGFX
    • iGPU Multi-monitor: Enabled 
    • RC6(Render Standby): Enabled
    • DVMT Pre-Allocated: 128M
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, kushwavez said:

@albertoacj Code 04 is "PCH initialisation before microcode loading", that shouldn't be an error. If it's working after you put back the GTX, then please go into UEFI settings and verify that your iGPU is selected for the output.

Advanced\System agent (sa) Configuration:

• Graphics Configuration: 
    • Primary Display: IGFX
    • iGPU Multi-monitor: Enabled 
    • RC6(Render Standby): Enabled
    • DVMT Pre-Allocated: 128M

Thank so much kushwavez now is working, didn't boot with config.plist so I try config_debug.plist and it work perfect I edit config_debug put my serial, uid, removed verbose mode and now start fast and with no errors.

i set  -v in config.plist and show is sticking in disk1s2 accelerated crypto : 0 I don't know what  is this.

Everythink works fine except sleep the system sleep when come back code 30 in mono and no video is a common error I think, when my video card arrived I'll try to fix.

Thank you very much, one more time, for share...

• Like 1

@albertoacj I'm glad it's working. You're welcome.

But I don't really understand why are you can boot with config_debug.plist and not with config.plist. They're actually same, only differences are that kernel and bootloader debug is enabled in config_debug.plist. 

And for sleep problem: try disabling Power Nap. If the computer still can't sleep then it's maybe because some of the USB ports. If that so, then I'll investigate this further and create a proper patch for the USBs (but as I can remember all of my ports are working, except the USB-C as I don't have any USB-C device to test atm)

EDIT: Oh my bad. Yes, waking up to a black screen is a common problem with HD 530. I didn't even realise because I never tried to put that PC to sleep with HD 530. Is working with RX 580 and RX 5700 tho as I tried that. I'll try to investigate that too.

Edited by kushwavez
  • Thanks 1

Hey there, I've pretty much the same build as yours (Z170 deluxe + 6700K).

The only difference is the graphics card: I have a GTX 1080. Since it is not supported I've decided to try to install Big Sur with your configuration using the HD530. The bios is set to igfx.

The hard drive is a Samsung NVME PM961 mounted on the hyperkit. 

1. I've set up the BIOS as you recommended.
  2. I've created the USB pen with Big Sur and your configuration.
  3. I've formatted my partition with APFS through the Big Sur installer (which runs correctly)
  4. Right about halfway through the install procedure it stops and the system reboots (even though the progress bar has not finished). I tried to continue by booting from the USB dive and the new partition
  5. Right about halfway through the install procedure it stops and the system reboots. I tried to continue by booting from the USB drive and the new partition
  6. The system fails to run. An error on the logd service is shown repeatedly. 

I've tried to use the config_debug.plist to no avail.

What am I doing wrong? Why during thhe steps 4 and 5 the system reboots before finishing?

Cheers

D3566EC8-4999-4A18-AA95-4FE773990D03_1_105_c.jpeg

2395BFF6-2719-4F77-A318-3EE9CE9E8C97_1_105_c.jpeg

05086B1A-7243-4F5E-AE33-0F0ECCE8251C_1_105_c.jpeg

Edited by Alesss

What is the difference to use quick sync and a 5700 xt or just 5700 xt ? I think airplay really need quick sync, am I right ? Is better have a good overclock and disable igpu or just make  quick sync and dgpu with low frequency ?
I changed my order to an RX 5700, this hackintosh is flawless, it's deserve it.

@albertoacj I think headless mode is a good choice because then iGPU QuickSync will be enabled for light encoding tasks (for example QuickTime Screen recording is really good on QuickSync, while the quality is quite bad on AMD), and the RX 5700 will be used for heavy tasks (3D applications, render applications, Safari VP9 decoding, etc.).

Is better have a good overclock and disable igpu or just make  quick sync and dgpu with low frequency ?

I don't understand this. Overclock the GPU? If my knowledge is good enough you can't really OverClock your GPU on macOS.

Anyway I did overclock my GPU on Windows but I've had little to no differences, so I just went with the factory default. It performs well enough :)

Yes, it's a really solid hackintosh, the card is also working well, I really like it. :yes:

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, kushwavez said:

@albertoacj I think headless mode is a good choice because then iGPU QuickSync will be enabled for light encoding tasks (for example QuickTime Screen recording is really good on QuickSync, while the quality is quite bad on AMD), and the RX 5700 will be used for heavy tasks (3D applications, render applications, Safari VP9 decoding, etc.).

Is better have a good overclock and disable igpu or just make  quick sync and dgpu with low frequency ?

I don't understand this. Overclock the GPU? If my knowledge is good enough you can't really OverClock your GPU on macOS.

Anyway I did overclock my GPU on Windows but I've had little to no differences, so I just went with the factory default. It performs well enough :)

Yes, it's a really solid hackintosh, the card is also working well, I really like it. :yes:

With igpu enable I can't reach high overclocks in my cpu and high frequency in memory.

• Like 1