Atheros AR5B195 Mini Pci-e

Nikhil Chandran

3 posts in this topic

I have a Atheros AR5B195 Half Mini Pci-e Wireless Wlan Wifi + Bt Bluetooth Card Module 802.11b/g/n from a old Sony Vaio laptop and I don't know if this card works with macOS or not.

My mobo is Asus Maximus Hero VI running MacOS 10.13.6 High Sierra

The wifi card can't be inserted in the pci slot, cuz the wifi card is Mini pci.

So I tried to find Mini PCI-E to PCI-E adapter and I got this adapter

1. Bloomerang Mini Pci-E Mini Pci Express to Pci-E Adapter Wireless WiFi Convertor Card Expan
  2. Mini PCI-E to PCI-E 1X Desktop Adapter Convertor with Two Antennas for Wireless Wifi Network Card

Can someone suggest me a way to use this Wifi card 

which adapter, Kext should I use.

and will this card work for MacOS Mojave or MacOS Catalina 

Thanks in advance  

Chip F.jpg

Chip B.jpg

3 hours ago, Hervé said:

AR5B195 is supported under OS X/macOS up to current Catalina with a little DSDT patch, Atheros40 kext patch or Clover property injection. The DSDT patch or Clover property injection simply consists of injecting a statement of compatibility with an Atheros card that's supported OOB. The kext patch consists of adding the AR5B195 pci id to the list of supported ids in the kext's Info.plist file. You'd find more details at OSXLatitude's wireless cards inventories (site down at time of writing).

Any of those PCIe adapters will do.

Please note that, from Mojave, Apple dropped all support for Atheros cards but it's a simple matter of re-instating High Sierra's Atheros40 kext (in Mojave) or High Sierra's IO80211Family kext (in Catalina) to get Atheros cards working again; at least those cards that were normally supported up to High Sierra.

Thanks for the help... I'll order the adapter soon.

But I'm confused about the dsdt patch, wouldn't a simple kext would do the job? (I just don't understand how to patch dsdt)

• 10 months later...
On 12/26/2019 at 8:53 PM, Hervé said:

Please note that, from Mojave, Apple dropped all support for Atheros cards but it's a simple matter of re-instating High Sierra's Atheros40 kext (in Mojave) or High Sierra's IO80211Family kext (in Catalina) to get Atheros cards working again; at least those cards that were normally supported up to High Sierra.

Hi @Hervé

this might be an old post, but its still helpfull for someone like me who still want to use an atheros card on Mojave+ macOS.

I would just like to know why use IO80211Family of HighSierra for Catalina, instead of IO80211Family of Mojave?

Thank You :)