tonyx86

Catalina on Dell Latitude E6410 (Nvidia Graphics) With Working Sleep

261 posts in this topic

EDIT: I should mention that I still prefer the original HWMonitor and will be staying with the original HWMonitor in my baseline.  I am posting this only for those who might be curious about HWMonitor alternatives.

I've been interested in possible replacements for HWMonitor, specifically in the packages posted at https://sourceforge.net/projects/hwsensors3.hwsensors.p/files/

If you want to try this alternate HWMonitor, follow the steps below.  The required files and a screenshot of the sensor display are attached.

This installation of a new HWMonitor assumes that you have installed the E6410 Catalina baseline as per Post #1 in this thread.

1. Remove the following kexts from /Library/Extensions
    • ACPIBatteryManager.kext
    • FakeSMC_ACPISensors.kext
    • FakeSMC_CPUSensors.kext
    • FakeSMC_GPUSensors.kext
    • FakeSMC_LPCSensors.kext
    • FakeSMC.kext
  2. Remove FakeSMC.kext from EFI/Clover/kexts/Other
  3. Copy all kexts in the attached LE folder to /Library/Extensions
    • Note that AppleHWSensor.kext from Mojave 10.14.6 is included.  I'm still experimenting with this, so you may or may not want to install this.
  4. Copy FakeSMC.kext from the attached LE folder to /EFI/Clover/kexts/Other
  5. Remove HWMonitor from Applications
  6. Copy HWMonitorSMC from the attached Applications folder to Applications
  7. Ensure PROPER kext installation
    • cd /Library/Extensions
    • sudo chown -R root:wheel *.kext
    • sudo chmod -R 755 *.kext
    • sudo kextcache -i /
    • After you execute 'sudo kextcache -i /' you should observe that ALL kexts are allowed.  If not, your kext directory attributes are probably incorrect.  Repeat kext installation and try again.
  8. Restart your HackBookPro
  9. Run HWMonitorSMC

Screen Shot 2020-02-07 at 12.54.17 PM.png

NewHWMonitor.zip

Edited by tonyx86

Advertisement

The new baseline that I attached a couple of posts ago is working extremely well for me.  I have added the following as a known issue in Post #1:

I continue to refine the DSDT and CLOVER config.plist to optimize my Latitude E6410 for multi-booting between various macOS versions (High Sierra, Mojave and Catalina at the time of this writing). If you upgrade your Latitude E6410 EFI using my attached EFI (my tested baseline will always be attached to Post #1), you may find that your Latitude E6410 is stuck in a boot-loop that ends in a white screen and reboots.  Clear your system by doing the following: turn off your laptop, remove A/C power, remove the main battery, press and hold the power button for 30 seconds, restore A/C power and battery, boot normally.  I have only found this to be necessary (very rarely) after making an EFI change, but you may find it helpful if making kext changes in /Library/Extensions as well.

EDIT: This updated DSDT is now included in the new E6410-Catalina-3v3.zip attached to Post #1 in this thread.  A new config.plist is also included in the E6410-Catalina-3v3.zip attached to Post #1.  This new config.plist removes the CLOVER USB fixes which are no longer necessary.

A new DSDT for the Latitude E6410 is attached.  Replace your DSDT in EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched with the DSDT attached to this post.  Details below.

I found an incorrectly applied patch in my Latitude E6410 DSDT.  This DSDT has been incorrect since I first applied patches for Mojave in this thread and explains why I originally thought I needed to enable USBFix in CLOVER config.plist (which I ended up not having to do).  I had incorrectly applied the _DSM patch for Device (EHC1).  This _DSM patch was nested inside of Device EHC1.RHUB1 instead of up one level in Device EHC1.

This error doesn't appear to have affected USB behavior, but I haven't finished testing. Please replace your Latitude E6410 DSDT (in EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched) with this new one.  I was hoping that this error explained the Bluetooth behavior in Catalina, but I haven't found that any behavior changes after applying this fix.

I will eventually update the EFI attached to Post #1 in this thread and to the Mojave Thread.

DSDT.zip

Edited by tonyx86

Attached is the GeekBench5 score for my HackBookPro6,2 (i7-620m).  The GeekBench4 score is attached to Post #1 in this thread.  Performance of this Latitude E6410 with Catalina is virtually identical to performance with Mojave.

Screen Shot 2020-02-05 at 10.05.23 PM.png

Thanks to @holyfield for his detailed explanation of darkwake in this thread, I now realize that my use of "darkwake=8" (a carry-over from my Mojave thread) is incorrect.  The correct value should be "darkwake=0" for reasons explained in this thread.  I am running with Clover boot arg "darkwake=0" and will include this the next time I update the baseline attached to Post #1.

EDIT: A new lid sleep solution is now attached to Post #1.  This new solution eliminates the need for the ACPIPoller.kext and the Method (LIDP) addition to the DSDT.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@unilock and others that might be interested, I was working on something else related to the display and quickly implemented what I believe are the necessary elements for sleep on lid close (as implemented by Rehabman).  I did try it and it "works" (only tried once), so I'm not sure I did this correctly (didn't spend much time on it).  If you're interested, take my work below/attached and test it yourself.  I don't know if this breaks something else (again, didn't test extensively).  Please report your findings in this thread if you do test this. The basic elements (attached) are as follows:

• Add Method (PNLF) to DSDT (not sure this was necessary - I was playing with something else)
  • Add pwm-info to GFX0._DSM to DSDT (not sure this was necessary - I was playing with something else)
  • Add Device (LIDP) to DSDT (required for Rehabman's ACPIPoller.kext)
  • Install ACPIPoller.kext (I installed in /L/E)

EDIT: Remove the following kext (appears to be unnecessary)

• FakeSMC_LPCSensors.kext

To try this, you just need to replace your DSDT in /EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched with the attached DSDT and properly install the ACPIPoller.kext (I installed in /L/E) and reboot.  You'll noticed that the Display Brightness Slider appears in System Preferences > Display.  The slider doesn't work (this would be another project if you're interested).  

References:

If I remember correctly, you may find a Brightness Slider solution in the E6430 thread.  I would recommend reading this thread, since it's what I used to derive the sleep solution for the Latitude E6410.  FrostyTheSnowMan did a great job with the E6430.

DSDT.zip

ACPIPoller.kext.zip

Edited by tonyx86
No longer needed ACPIPoller.kext and Method (LIDP)

@tonyx86

I attempted to apply RehabMan's LidPoll patch some time ago, but couldn't get it working on its own (I did have ACPIPoller.kext installed, of course). Perhaps something else you did with the DSDT since then had some effect after all -- or, more likely, I did something wrong.

I'll try out the patch and report my findings after using it for a bit. I've still yet to update from the first published version of your EFI, as well as upgrade to Catalina 10.15.3. Here's hoping my accursed bay drive will start working properly after getting everything up-to-date.

As for AppleALC causing the Wi-Fi delay -- well, I'm not sure what to say about that. Very bizarre.

EDIT:

After uninstalling AppleALC and replacing it with VoodooHDA (installed via the "classic method"), Wi-Fi still takes some time to be recognized after boot. Attached is the output from black.dragon74's tool, notably taken after Wi-Fi was recognized.

Also, I still can't seem to get sleep on lid close working. Perhaps this is because I installed IntelBacklight.kext in an attempt to get the brightness slider in System Preferences working (the slider currently does not appear at all).

Maybe updating to 10.15.3 will fix my issues.

debug_voodoohda.zip

Edited by unilock

14 hours ago, unilock said:

After uninstalling AppleALC and replacing it with VoodooHDA (installed via the "classic method"), Wi-Fi still takes some time to be recognized after boot. Attached is the output from black.dragon74's tool, notably taken after Wi-Fi was recognized.

Also, I still can't seem to get sleep on lid close working. Perhaps this is because I installed IntelBacklight.kext in an attempt to get the brightness slider in System Preferences working (the slider currently does not appear at all).

Maybe updating to 10.15.3 will fix my issues.

debug_voodoohda.zip

I took a quick look and can look again tomorrow.  My first observations are:

1. Lilu.kext 1.4.2?  Where did you get version 1.4.2?
  2. Where is AirportBrcmFixup.kext?  Maybe I missed it?

EDIT: Remove the IntelBacklight.kext that you installed.  This is not the correct backlight kext for Nvidia.  The correct backlight kext (if we find one that works) will be based on this thread.

Edited by tonyx86

Hello!!
I have mojave installed on my Dell E6410 i7 thanks tonyx86 !!!
Tomorrow I will try to install Catalina again.

"tonyx86"" thanks for your help on these posts.

1 hour ago, jande said:

Hello!!
I have mojave installed on my Dell E6410 i7 thanks tonyx86 !!!
Tomorrow I will try to install Catalina again.

"tonyx86"" thanks for your help on these posts.

Congratulations!

EDIT: As I documented later in this thread, brightness key mapping does not appear to be the solution for the brightness slider.  Leaving this post for information only, but I don't believe this will lead to a working brightness slider.

EDIT 2: A new lid sleep solution is now attached to Post #1.  This new solution eliminates the need for the ACPIPoller.kext and the Method (LIDP) addition to the DSDT.  

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Below is my progress on getting the Brightness Slider to work.  I would welcome any help if you're interested - specifically, find the correct brightness key mapping.  This solution is almost working.  The only issue appears to be that the brightness slider expects the brightness keys to be Fn-F12 (brightness up) and Fn-F5 (brightness down), so the slider is mapped to the wrong keys.  I suspect that if we modify the DSDT to map the slider to the correct keys, the slider will be working.  There are plenty of key mapping posts, so this should be the "easy" part.

My work is as follows (and attached):

• DSDT is modified as mentioned a few posts ago for the lid sleep.  Also added since my last post are "@0,backlight-control" and "AAPL,backlight-control" which are from the E6430 thread but I suspect are unnecessary.
  • DSDT is modified with a new pwm-info (from a real MBP6,2).  We won't know which pwm-info to use until the slider is working and we can determine whether the slider range fully adjusts the display brightness.
  • DSDT is modified with the addition of a new thermal zone (Scope (_TZ) { ThermalZone (THM) }) borrowed from the E6430 DSDT here.  This adds a new "Thermal Zone 1" to the HWMonitor temps (nothing to do with display brightness, just playing).
  • AppleBacklightInjector.kext generated using @onejay09's technique here.  To make onejay09's patch.sh script work for this patched Catalina 10.15.3 installation, I needed to modify onejay09's script, replacing "AppleDisplay" with "AppleBacklightDisplay".

Steps to install this partial solution (still needs brightness keys mapped for slider to work):

• Replace your DSDT in EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched with the attached DSDT
  • Remove FakeSMC_LPCSensors.kext (it doesn't appear to add any info in HWMonitor for the Latitude E6410)
  • Keep FakeSMC_ACPISensors.kext (it is required to read the new Thermal Zone temp which is now available because of the DSDT mod borrowed from the E6430 DSDT - again, nothing to do with brightness)
  • Generate and install your own AppleBacklightInjector.kext using the instructions below.
  • Install Rehabman's ACPIPoller.kext for lid sleep (as per my previous post)
  • Make sure kexts are properly installed and reboot

AppleBacklightInjector.kext

You should generate your own AppleBacklightInjector.kext by following onejay09's instructions here.  Make sure you replace "AppleDisplay" with "AppleBacklightDisplay" in his patch.sh script.  My AppleBacklightInjector.kext is attached as an example.

After completing the steps above, press Fn-F12 (brightness up) and Fn-F5 (brightness down) and you will see that the slider "works" but is connected to the wrong keys.

Note that when you close the lid, you'll need to wait 30 seconds for the laptop to sleep.  Also note that the laptop wakes properly when the lid is opened.  Looks like this lid sleep/wake solution works perfectly.

EDIT: Here a good read about brightness keys: https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/305030-guide-how-to-fix-brightness-hotkeys-in-dsdt/

ACPIPoller.kext.zip

DSDT.zip

AppleBacklightInjector.kext.zip

Edited by tonyx86
No longer need ACPIPoller.kext and Method (LIDP)

@tonyx86

Yes, looks like IntelBacklight.kext was the issue. Wi-Fi and sleep on lid close are both working as intended now, and the brightness slider appears in System Preferences.

Generating my own AppleBacklightInjector.kext, it does appear to differ from yours in Info.plist only -- see the attached comparison via Meld.

I got Lilu 1.4.2 from this kext repository, which distributes "nightly" builds of popular kexts.

I don't have AirportBrcmFixup.kext installed because my Wi-Fi card is natively supported by macOS. It works fine without any extra work (though Bluetooth does require BrcmPatchRAM).

Screen Shot 2020-02-16 at 10.18.19 AM.png

5 minutes ago, unilock said:

@tonyx86

Yes, looks like IntelBacklight.kext was the issue. Wi-Fi and sleep on lid close are both working as intended now, and the brightness slider appears in System Preferences.

Generating my own AppleBacklightInjector.kext, it does appear to differ from yours in Info.plist only -- see the attached comparison via Meld.

I got Lilu 1.4.2 from this kext repository, which distributes "nightly" builds of popular kexts.

I don't have AirportBrcmFixup.kext installed because my Wi-Fi card is natively supported by macOS. It works fine without any extra work (though Bluetooth does require BrcmPatchRAM).

You indicated that Wi-Fi is working as intended.  Do you mean that the delay is fixed?  If so, what did you change to fix this (from your previous post)?

Also, I'll continue to recommend that you stay with the same baseline (including Lilu.kext), since it will help to minimize variables as we're chasing problems.  If you do make a change from the baseline, it would be best to clearly note the change when you post requests for help (explaining why you made the change).

Edited by tonyx86

My observed lid-sleep times are as follows. These are the times (in seconds) that it takes for my Dell Latitude E6410 to sleep after closing the lid.

• Catalina 10.15.3: 32 seconds
  • Mojave 10.14.6: 5 seconds
  • High Sierra 10.13.6: 5 seconds

If you have been attempting to fix the brightness slider by following my key mapping suggestion, you have probably found that the Dell E6410 brightness up and down keys always invoke the same DSDT method _Q66 (for both brightness up and brightness down), so a simple key mapping is not likely to be the solution.  If you traced beyond _Q66 (using Rehabman's ACPI debugging technique), you traced the brightness key into DSDT methods NEVT and EV8 and WMNF.

Long story short ... it's going to take more work to get macOS brightness slider (in System Preferences > Displays) working than I want to spend on this.  I'm content with using the Dell brightness up and down keys.

I'll be happy when someone else implements the brightness slider.

EDIT: A new lid sleep solution is now attached to Post #1.  This new solution eliminates the need for the ACPIPoller.kext and the Method (LIDP) addition to the DSDT.  This post is still relevant for the darkwake=0 fix.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A new E6410-Catalina-3v4.zip is attached to Post #1.  This new zip file includes the following changes (all documented in previous posts in this thread with credits where credit is due):

• EFI/CLOVER/config.plist
    • Changed boot arg darkwake=8 to darkwake=0
  • EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/Patched/DSDT.aml
    • Added elements for Lid-polling / Sleep
  • LE
    • Removed FakeSMC_ACPISensors.kext and FakeSMC_LPCSensors.kext (don't add new information to HWMonitor for Latitude E6410).  You will need to keep FakeSMC_ACPISensors.kext if you choose to implement the Thermal DSDT patch that I discussed earlier (copied from Latitude E6430 DSDT).
    • Added ACPIPoller.kext (required for Lid-polling / Sleep)
Edited by tonyx86
no longer need ACPIPoller.kext and Method (LIDP) for lid sleep

EDIT: In addition to my statement below, it appears that there was more to the Lid Sleep solution than I first thought.  In addition to my Method (BTNV) fix below, it also appears that Device (PNLF) and the addition of pwm-info to the GFX0._DSM may be required as well.  I haven't spent enough time on this to know exactly what is required for working Lid Sleep, but it does appear that multiple changes that I made at the same time have resulted in the working Lid Sleep solution for this Latitude E6410.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CORRECTION: Rehabman's Lid Polling solution is not needed to enable lid sleep for the E6410.  A new DSDT is included in E6410-Catalina-3v5.zip attached to Post #1 with details as follows.

It bothered me that I needed to add Rehabman's lid polling solution to the Latitude E6410, since lid sleep should happen natively.  After reviewing the DSDT for the Latitude E6430, I found the culprit: A Notify (LID0) event was missing from Method (BTNV) in the E6410 DSDT.  Adding the following to Method (BTNV) in the E6410 DSDT enables sleep on lid closure without needing Rehabman's ACPIPoller.kext / Method (LIDP):

If (LEqual (Arg0, 0x03))
                {
                    Notify (LID0, 0x80)
                }

It shouldn't surprise anyone that the Dell Latitude E6410 DSDT is missing this after finding that sleep was fixed by adding the missing ACPI implementation to _PTS and _WAK.  I'm sure we could learn other things by comparing the E6410 DSDT to the E6430 DSDT and invite others to examine them.

Edited by tonyx86

Earlier this week, I discovered that @Slice has his own thread for the Latitude E6430 here.  Since I derived the E6410 sleep solution from an E6430 DSDT from the thread here, Slice's E6430 thread may offer clues, too.  For example, Slice has his own fork for the VoodooPS2 kext for ALPS trackpad.  For those who want to solve the E6410 brightness slider, I believe that looking at solutions for the E6430 (both E6430 threads) may lead to a brightness slider solution for the E6410.

I have Mojave 10.14.6 running perfectly on a Thinkpad T61. Both brightness slider and brightness keys work on the T61, so I compared the IORegistries of the Latitude E6410 and the Thinkpad T61 and tweaked the Latitude E6410 DSDT (updated version attached) with the changes below.  These DSDT changes did not fix the brightness slider on the Latitude E6410, but for those who are trying to fix the brightness slider, the attached DSDT may give you a better chance at succeeding.

The changes in the attached DSDT (changes from the DSDT attached to Post #1) are:

• Add "Name (_ADR, Zero)" to Device (PNLF).  I had removed this after seeing Slice's PNLF for his E6430.
  • Minor changes/additions to attributes injected in GFX0._DSM

Note that the "@0,built-in" attribute in GFX0._DSM is required in order for the display to be detected as an "AppleBacklightDisplay" (which is required for the display slider to be visible).

DSDT.zip

I noticed something that may help us understand why the brightness slider doesn't work on the E6410:  If you examine the connector-type for NVDA,Display-A@0 in IORegistryExplorer (see attached screenshot), the connector type is detected as 0008 0000 which is HDMI according to @Hervé's post here (scroll down to Herve's 2nd post on the page).  If I'm correct about the Latitude E6410, the internal LCD has an eDP connector, so the connector-type should be 0400 0000 (not 0008 0000).

It may be that we can't rely on Clover's Inject Nvidia option and may need to manually inject Nvidia attributes in order to correctly define the display.

Screen Shot 2020-02-21 at 5.22.32 PM.png

Edited by tonyx86

@tonyx86

A bit late now, but uninstalling IntelBacklight.kext is what fixed the Wi-Fi delay for me. Around the same time, I discharged my E6410 (held the power button for 30 seconds with the battery unplugged), as you suggest after changing the DSDT, so that may have been the actual solution.

The E6410 does connect to the internal LCD via an eDP interface, although the display itself uses an LVDS port, if that's at all relevant.

Edited by unilock

@tonyx86

At the time I wrote my last reply, VoodooHDA. Though, I've just finished updating to 10.15.3, so I think I'm going to try AppleALC before installing VoodooHDA again. I'll let you know how it goes.

EDIT: Still no luck with AppleALC; the Wi-Fi delay remains on 10.15.3.

Edited by unilock

sorry for hijacking your post, do you still have the E6430 and plan on upgrading that to catlaina ? I have your files from the previous post on full installation guide, but catalina upgrade kinda of works, but docking station no longer works, and monitor out put is not working,

I have the E6430 with Intel 4000 only, just wondering would these files for the E6410 work for me ?

Thanks, appreciate if this is wrongly posted please remove it,

Mojave works perfect, but catalina a bit ropey and I am not skilled at doing this.

have workng install, but I am sure the docking station and graphics issue is related to my config.plist and dsdt.aml files

Thanks

@Whocaresa I don't have an E6430.  I only used the posted DSDT from the E6430 to fix the E6410 DSDT.  I would suggest posting your E6430 questions in these other two forums (and maybe others if you search):

As I was looking through the E6430 DSDT, the only thing I noticed that would need to be changed for Catalina was renaming Device (ECDV) to Device (EC).  Slice may already have renamed via Clover config.plist, but I didn't notice.  I would think that if you have Mojave running, you're very close to getting Catalina running.

Good luck!

Edited by tonyx86