Customized OpenCore with additional features

n.d.k
1,348 posts in this topic

Hello n.d.k, i think your fork is life saver for those who needs boot Windows via OpenCore. Great job.

I have one question. Is it possible for your fork to boot from a system disk which is set via the bless command?

https://ss64.com/osx/bless.html

It is used by macOS updater after successful install of update and if you have hidden Boot Picker it will try boot form entry which is set via bless, but your fork can't use it and show error "OCB: LoadImage failed - Not Found. Halting on critical error.". I look to NVRAM for boot entry which bless write to it and it is setup correctly. But your fork can't use it.

Thanks.

Edited by darthsian

6 hours ago, darthsian said:

Hello n.d.k, i think your fork is life saver for those who needs boot Windows via OpenCore. Great job.

I have one question. Is it possible for your fork to boot from a system disk which is set via the bless command?

https://ss64.com/osx/bless.html

It is used by macOS updater after successful install of update and if you have hidden Boot Picker it will try boot form entry which is set via bless, but your fork can't use it and show error "OCB: LoadImage failed - Not Found. Halting on critical error.". I look to NVRAM for boot entry which bless write to it and it is setup correctly. But your fork can't use it.

Thanks.

macOS updater will work just fine, the reason you get that error is because when you use the startup disk preference to manual set the startup disk, it conflicts with the auto default last booted entry that this fork is using. If for any reason you see that error, just reboot, bring the boot menu and pick an entry from there it will repair the boot device path that the startup disk preference messed up. More discussion why the startup disk preference should never be used in a hacktintosh here https://github.com/n-d-k/OpenCorePkg/issues/7.

Edited by n.d.k
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, n.d.k said:

macOS updater will work just fine, the reason you get that error is because when you use the startup disk preference to manual set the startup disk, it conflicts with the auto default last booted entry that this fork is using. If for any reason you see that error, just reboot, bring the boot menu and pick an entry from there it will repair the boot device path that the startup disk preference messed up. More discussion why the startup disk preference should never be used in a hacktintosh here https://github.com/n-d-k/OpenCorePkg/issues/7.

I dont use startup disk preferences to manually set startup disk, macOS updaters use "bless" command to set startup disk after successfull install. So, if you dont use Boot Picker it ends in boot error. I know that i can reboot and select entry in Boot Picker to "repair" boot device path. But that's just wrong behavior.

I think that if you use "AllowSetDefault" and dont use the auto default last booted entry, then "bless" should work. But it's your fork, so this is just my humble suggestion.

Edited by darthsian

47 minutes ago, darthsian said:

I dont use startup disk preferences to manually set startup disk, macOS updaters use "bless" command to set startup disk after successfull install. So, if you dont use Boot Picker it ends in boot error. I know that i can reboot and select entry in Boot Picker to "repair" boot device path. But that's just wrong behavior.

I think that if you use "AllowSetDefault" and dont use the auto default last booted entry, then "bless" should work. But it's your fork, so this is just my humble suggestion.

I'll fix this issue in next commit by not using that variable name.  Thanks for pointing out the problem!

• Like 1

Boot Entry Index key 1- 9 can be used as a Hotkey by holding during boot in additional to previous hotkeys implementation to boot directly to that entry and skip the picker menu showing process even ShowPicker set to TRUE.  These number hotkeys do work on tools, hidden entries, recovery entries and nvram reset, so be careful of not holding down the right number :).

Fixed the issue above as well on this commit. make sure to do a git pull then ./ndk-macbuild.tool to compile new update.

Edited by n.d.k
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, btwise said:

Why am I only seeing the BOOT MENU?

I can't see the LOGO characters or the content around them!

The color was dark gray/nearly black to make it blended in with the black background, adjusting the monitor contrast setting to see if my assumption is right. 

22 hours ago, n.d.k said:

Boot Entry Index key 1- 9 can be used as a Hotkey by holding during boot in additional to previous hotkeys implementation to boot directly to that entry and skip the picker menu showing process even ShowPicker set to TRUE.  These number hotkeys do work on tools, hidden entries, recovery entries and nvram reset, so be careful of not holding down the right number :).

Fixed the issue above as well on this commit. make sure to do a git pull then ./ndk-macbuild.tool to compile new update.

Can you compile last commit? I can't with message "Repository https://github.com/acidanthera/EfiPkg named EfiPkg contains CRLF line endings".

1 hour ago, darthsian said:

Can you compile last commit? I can't with message "Repository https://github.com/acidanthera/EfiPkg named EfiPkg contains CRLF line endings".

I see that too..:(..just wait for them to fix..

This new file OpenCorePkg/edk2/EfiPkg/Include/Protocol/FrameworkMpService.h was added and had CRLF line endings. You can just create the new file with same name in xcode and copy its content over, it would fix the problem. 

It's already fixed by now!

Edited by n.d.k

5 hours ago, n.d.k said:

颜色为深灰色/接近黑色,使其与黑色背景融合在一起,调整显示器的对比度设置以查看我的假设是否正确。 

The brightness and contrast have been adjusted. It's not working!

Can you tell me which file in the source code this part of the menu is in?

7 minutes ago, btwise said:

The brightness and contrast have been adjusted. It's not working!

Can you tell me which file in the source code this part of the menu is in?

OpenCorePkg/edk2/OcSupportPkg/Library/OcBootManagementLib/OcSimpleBootMenu.c

1 hour ago, n.d.k said:

OpenCorePkg / edk2 / OcSupportPkg / Library / OcBootManagementLib / OcSimpleBootMenu.c

I know it's this file, I mean how to define the BANNER, the border line, the time, the version of the object's color code!

I wanted to change the color to lighter, or white, because you don't see these elements on a lot of people's screens!

17 minutes ago, btwise said:

I know it's this file, I mean how to define the BANNER, the border line, the time, the version of the object's color code!

I wanted to change the color to lighter, or white, because you don't see these elements on a lot of people's screens!

It's all in there 1 single simple file. If you don't understand the code, then i wouldn't recommend that you change anything. 

28 minutes ago, n.d.k said:

It's all in there 1 single simple file. If you don't understand the code, then i wouldn't recommend that you change anything. 

I don't know C language, I just want to adjust the color of the console simply, because I think it is beautiful, but many people can not see, so you can tell me the simple way to modify, or you just modify it

14 minutes ago, btwise said:

I don't know C language, I just want to adjust the color of the console simply, because I think it is beautiful, but many people can not see, so you can tell me the simple way to modify, or you just modify it

EFI_DARKGRAY this is the color those frame and banner it used, it can be replace with any of colors below:

EFI_BLACK

EFI_BLUE

EFI_GREEN

EFI_CYAN

EFI_RED

EFI_MAGENTA

EFI_BROWN

EFI_LIGHTGRAY

EFI_BRIGHT

EFI_DARKGRAY

EFI_LIGHTBLUE

EFI_LIGHTGREEN

EFI_LIGHTCYAN

EFI_LIGHTRED

EFI_LIGHTMAGENTA

EFI_YELLOW

EFI_WHITE

Damn..I miss the Orange MS-DOS colors, too bad it's not on the list...:)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, n.d.k said:

EFI_DARKGRAY这是它使用的那些框架和横幅的颜色,可以用以下任何一种颜色替换:

EFI_BLACK

EFI_BLUE

EFI_GREEN

EFI_CYAN

EFI_RED

EFI_MAGENTA

EFI_BROWN

EFI_LIGHTGRAY

EFI_BRIGHT

EFI_DARKGRAY

EFI_LIGHTBLUE

EFI_LIGHTGREEN

EFI_LIGHTCYAN

EFI_LIGHTRED

EFI_LIGHTMAGENTA

EFI_YELLOW

EFI_WHITE

该死的..我想念橙色的MS-DOS颜色,可惜它不在列表中... :)

I already found it. Change the foreground color to EFI_WHITE

• Like 1

2 hours ago, n.d.k said:

EFI_BLACK

EFI_BLUE

EFI_GREEN

EFI_CYAN

EFI_RED

EFI_MAGENTA

EFI_BROWN

EFI_LIGHTGRAY

EFI_BRIGHT

EFI_DARKGRAY

EFI_LIGHTBLUE

EFI_LIGHTGREEN

EFI_LIGHTCYAN

EFI_LIGHTRED

EFI_LIGHTMAGENTA

EFI_YELLOW

EFI_WHITE

I want to change the overall color style, but how do I control the color of the items that are automatically scanned under the boot menu

5 hours ago, btwise said:

我已经找到了。将前景色更改为EFI_WHITE

5 hours ago, n.d.k said:

EFI_BLACK

EFI_BLUE

EFI_GREEN

EFI_CYAN

EFI_RED

EFI_MAGENTA

EFI_BROWN

EFI_LIGHTGRAY

EFI_BRIGHT

EFI_DARKGRAY

EFI_LIGHTBLUE

EFI_LIGHTGREEN

EFI_LIGHTCYAN

EFI_LIGHTRED

EFI_LIGHTMAGENTA

EFI_YELLOW

EFI_WHITE

Is it possible to display other language characters (such as Chinese) on the boot menu interface?

• Haha 1