Asus K55A build

5 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

First I would like to say that I wanna experiment with this (but if it's a success I would be very much happy) and that is the reason why I am going with these parts, explained in details further below.

Also I am very new at this.

Now, I have ASUS K55A Laptop -> https://www.asus.com/Laptops/K55A/specifications/ with the following specs (some of them will be replaced):

CPU: Intel Core i5 3210M @ 2.50GHz (Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology)

RAM: 4GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz -> Please suggest; I think 8GB is solid, but which one?

Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. K55A (SOCKET 0)

Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000 (ASUStek Computer Inc)

Storage: 465GB Hitachi HDD -> 500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SSD

Optical drive: Will be removed

Also, can I install any OS X on this build? If so which one? Which one can be optimal and which one is the latest one that I can use?

Please help me from the start, build, installation and post-Installation optimization.

Let me know what do you think? And make suggestions based on the motherboard and graphics.

Edited by WeedBoy
Editing the text

You can upgrade to 8GB DDR3 1600MHz if you so wish but OS X/macOS will run just fine with 4GB.

Samsung 860 EVO SSD should be fully and natively supported too afaik but double check.

The specs you listed certainly are compatible with all OS X/macOS version supported on Ivy Bridge platforms (including laptops) and that extends to latest Catalina 10.15 version. I'm also pretty sure you should find existing Hackintosh guides for this particular Asus laptop model.

32 minutes ago, Hervé said:

You can upgrade to 8GB DDR3 1600MHz if you so wish but OS X/macOS will run just fine with 4GB.

Samsung 860 EVO SSD should be fully and natively supported too afaik but double check.

The specs you listed certainly are compatible with all OS X/macOS version supported on Ivy Bridge platforms (including laptops) and that extends to latest Catalina 10.15 version. I'm also pretty sure you should find existing Hackintosh guides for this particular Asus laptop model.

So, if I got you correct the only thing that I should change is the hard disk to SSD?

Can you please explain what do you mean by "double check"?

Is there any other SSD that you recommend with this build?

Also, where can I look for these guides?

Edited by WeedBoy