matgeo

To anyone who uses RealtekRTL8100.kext

8 posts in this topic

Today something strange (but interesting) happened.

I have a Kabylake-r laptop (Intel 8250u) which always idles at 1.2ghz with pkg power at minimum 1.38.
Today I replaced RealtekRTL8100.kext (from Mieze RealtekRTL8100) with this one : (link removed)

After rebooting my cpu idles at 1.2ghz (as always) but thit time minimum pkg power is at 0.6!!!
That has a positive impact at both battery consuption and heat producing.

If anyone willing to try just let me know :

1) If the above statement happens to you also , and
2) If ethernet is working , since I only use wifi.

Terminal Saved Output.txt

Edited by matgeo

Advertisement

@matgeo

Both of these kexts are essentially made by @Mieze but the second link is an older version (v.1.0.0) and the one that you have been using is the source code to the original Xcode project which you might have compiled yourself, so please remove the link to the Tony's site and attach the kext file to your original post.

Screen Shot 2019-11-09 at 10.09.07 AM.png

You can also find the latest stable version here at:

Thanks.

@Cyberdevs, I really don't understand what you mean and what is th purpose of your post , but I uploaded the kext to my post.

Anyway ...

Has anyone tried it?

edit: I cannot upload the file casue is biiger that 20kb.

Edited by matgeo

58 minutes ago, matgeo said:

@Cyberdevs, I really don't understand what you mean and what is th purpose of your post , but I uploaded the kext to my post.

Anyway ...

Has anyone tried it?

edit: I cannot upload the file casue is biiger that 20kb.

What don't you get about my post? We do not support or discuss Tonymac's posts and methods and linking to that site is against our Rules and if you have any issues using the RealtekRTL8100.kext you can find a dedicated topic here at:

and you can post your issues there.

So, since Mieze is the original author of the RealtekRTL8100.kext you might be able to find the answer to your question in the topic above.

Kind regard;

Cyberdevs

@matgeo, you did not attach the replacement kext to your post but a link to TMX and that's against the forum rules. You're therefore requested and expected to edit your post, remove the link to TMX and upload a compressed copy of the kext instead. Attachments are not limited to 20KB or maybe they are for you since you're under status "just joined"...

Thank you.

Edited by Hervé

11 hours ago, Hervé said:

@matgeo, you did not attach the replacement kext to your post but a link to TMX and that's against the forum rules. You're therefore requested and expected to edit your post, remove the link to TMX and upload a compressed copy of the kext instead. Attachments are not limited to 20KB...

Thank you.

I cannot even attach a screenshot. See here

https://mega.nz/#!zEgwHCSb!VU-rb4YuPjnni3t_hmHbtIiF7fn90YIBrZdTTvOaPW4

https://mega.nz/#!bM50RSZK!v4xztw_k5y5H3Mu7Lmlvdh7QFe8ANstaYtjfoC6EMBw

Anyway I removed the link. 

I wish someone would work on the point of the post.

RealtekRTL8100.kext disables Active State Power Management (ASPM) as this feature is broken on some machines / chips. In case it's enabled on affected platforms, the NIC won't work properly. That's the reason why I decided to disable it. I'm well aware of the fact that this has a negative impact on power consumption but due to the lack of documentation and hardware to test, I see no other way as a working configuration has precedence of power consumption from my point of view.

Mieze