[TOOL] AMD Radeon RX 5700 (XT) PowerPlay Table generator

CMMChris

58 posts in this topic

I did it again! With the release of the Navi drivers for macOS by Apple I bought a card and ported my popular PowerPlay Table generators to the RX 5700 and RX 5700 XT. Some might know I already did the same for V56/64 and Radeon VII. This tool allows you to change GPU, SoC and Memory Clocks, voltages for GPU and SoC (for undervolting or overvolting), adjust Power and TDC limits and customizing fan control. The whole thing is based in a simple Excel spreadsheet and provides you with a long Hex string you can then inject to your graphics card via Clover device properties. If you want to use it on a real Mac (eGPU or Mac Pro) you can use a Dummy Kext to inject the PowerPlay Table. Please make sure that you only run this spreadsheet in Excel! iWork, OpenOffice and Libre Office are known to do wrong calculations.

463751518_Bildschirmfoto2019-10-27um11_37_42AM.thumb.png.f17277ad05b6a02eef8681880dd11738.png246301563_Bildschirmfoto2019-10-27um11_38_04AM.thumb.png.f2f8468bf4855021c3cca5dd5fd605aa.png

Release: AMD Radeon RX 5700 (XT) PowerPlay Table Generator V1.0

(October 27 2019)

Changelog 1.0:

• Initial Release

RX 5700 Download: Radeon_RX_5700_PowerPlayTable_Generator.xlsx.zip
RX 5700 XT Download: Radeon_RX_5700_XT_PowerPlayTable_Generator.xlsx.zip

WARNING: Use this this tool at your own risk! I am not responsible for your mistakes. Wrong / too high values can potentially damage or destroy your card.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

I got almost identical hardware to you - but runnig vega 56 as main gpu.

Simple question: Does updating to 5700 makes any sense or should I skip to Radeon 7 instead? I bought the Vega few weeks ago for ~ 200 eu and dumped all NV gpus I had.

(I must admit that I won't be going back to {censored} Nvidia anytime soon) so I 

thought I might go all in and grab the fastest/latest. 

Best,

P.

I would stick with the Vega 56. If you got a reference card flash it to a Vega 64 and overclock it for more performance. AMD will likely release new Navi based high-end cards next year. This will likely be a good time to upgrade.

• Like 1

Yeah, Thanks for the advice. Looked yesterday at some benchmarks and Vega to 5700 seems superfluous.

I flashed it already to 64 but the bios dumps at techpowerup are a bit old. I couldn't find a working ASRock bios, 

the one uploaded there is borked - no post after flashing - flashed a powercolor but the bios itself is 2+ years old

and efi drivers is a way older then the orginal one. Can't find a recent ASRock Vega 64 dump...

Hi, which version of macOS is required?

I'm building my Hackintosh and I'm going to use a Gigabyte RX5700 XT reference card.

Can I use latest public version of macOS Catalina (10.15.1) or should I install the latest public beta?

Thank you :)

33 minutes ago, Michelinu said:

Can I use latest public version of macOS Catalina (10.15.1) or should I install the latest public beta?

145567449_Schermata2019-11-09alle00_33_14.png.9f5782e88f509c924044bff89b0ff403.png

RX 5700 XT works like a charm with 10.15.1 public release. Didn't try with 10.15.2 beta but it should work.

Biciolino

42 minutes ago, Michelinu said:

Is WEG or any boot arg required?

I use WEG with agdpmod=pikera boot argument. I know for sure that without that boot argument, I get black screens but now I realize I never tried with no WEG at all. I'll try asap but i doubt it will work.

Biciolino

Edited by biciolino

I have the problem with my Nitro+ 5700XT that the fan is spinning up every few minutes for 10 seconds under macOS. That is VERY annoying as this spin-up is much much louder than the actual noise of the fan. Could this be fixed with this tool by for example disabling that the fans stop at all?

It's not a problem and the same on Windows. Your card uses ZeroRPM which turns off the fan until a temperature threshold is reached. Fans will start spinning shortly and then turn of again. You can either try to increase ZeroRPM start temperature or turning off ZeroRPM and let the fans spin permanently.

Hi, I don't understand how should I edit the table.
Under Windows I'm stable with core at 2.000MHz (I get around 1.950MHz) at 1.050mV, memory at 900MHz. I have a Gigabyte RX 5700 XT with the "stock" blower cooler.

Screenshot_1.thumb.png.9ab28b1b738932c26dc430e456971101.png

Screenshot_2.thumb.png.9478a3c044cd03c565aebb908099bd20.png

The table says that the default maximum clock is 2.100MHz, mine is around at 2.050MHz.

There are several "DPM" (I don't know what they are) for memory clock, the highest one is at 1.750MHz..

Also, which is the difference between Gfx, GPU and SoC?

Thank you :)

You can only adjust the memory clock. GPU clock is not possible with Navi10. PPT only allows upping the clock limits but the OC needs to be done through the driver. Since macOS doesn't offer Wattman, you can't overclock the GPU.

Just leave the default values and play with memory clock, GPU voltage, SoC voltage and Power Limit. You can still get some nice performance boost with less power consumption and heat. You could also downclock the GPU by reducing the limits. Fan curve can be adjusted as well. Every parameter is explained in the spreadsheet.

1 hour ago, CMMChris said:

You can only adjust the memory clock. GPU clock is not possible with Navi10. PPT only allows upping the clock limits but the OC needs to be done through the driver. Since macOS doesn't offer Wattman, you can't overclock the GPU.

Just leave the default values and play with memory clock, GPU voltage, SoC voltage and Power Limit. You can still get some nice performance boost with less power consumption and heat. You could also downclock the GPU by reducing the limits. Fan curve can be adjusted as well. Every parameter is explained in the spreadsheet.

Thank you, I'll start to "play" with the table :)

As far as you know, is it possible to see Navi's clock under macOS? With my old Vega64 I was able using iStat Menus or command line, now I can't see it.
It might be helpful while adjusting voltage since under Windows I saw that the stock or an high voltage make the clock unstable.

- - UPDATE - -

Here what I changed:

[*] Power Limit (%) Maximum -> 150

[*] MaxVoltageGfx -> 1050

[*] MaxVoltageSoc -> 1050

[*] Memory DPM3 -> 1800 (tried with 1850 but mine crashes)

[*] Fan Target Temperature -> 80

[*] FanRPMMinimum -> 600

Before and after with LuxMark v3.1

1924316563_Schermata2019-11-16alle12_24_28.png.1fd3625972a6a0eaf1e03e38d05b6995.png

1658151507_Schermata2019-11-16alle19_04_56.png.0cb615e97e043a5ea52d202cbe176db4.png

Edited by Michelinu

5 hours ago, Michelinu said:

As far as you know, is it possible to see Navi's clock under macOS?

No, Apple removed all metrix from their drivers starting with Vega20. No fan speed, no clocks, no temps. Open a bug report and tell them you want it back. The more people do it, the higher the chance Apple brings it back.

On 11/16/2019 at 10:37 AM, CMMChris said:

It's not a problem and the same on Windows. Your card uses ZeroRPM which turns off the fan until a temperature threshold is reached. Fans will start spinning shortly and then turn of again. You can either try to increase ZeroRPM start temperature or turning off ZeroRPM and let the fans spin permanently.

There are 3 different ZeroRPM entries. One under "Fan Control" one under "Overdrive Fan Limits" and one under "OverDrive Flags". What are the differences between them?  That said, I just set them all to 0 (the default) and it worked (fans just keep spinning now). Just wondering why it comes up 3 times.

On 11/22/2019 at 11:07 AM, Michelinu said:

I switched to OpenCore but I can't boot with the PowerPlayTable injected (problems with AMDGraphicsAccelerator etc)..

I am injecting with OC and it does work. Post your OC config.plist.

• 2 months later...