X79-UD5 Success

macwanabe

9 posts in this topic

Hi everyone

I had a seamless install on my aging X79-UD5, I7 3930K system. I am using dual GPU's ditched the 2 x Nvidia 980TI and the nonworking RTX 2080 TI and put it into a Windows machine. I replaced it with an old AMD 7950 and a new Radeon VII I got for a good price. Everything works, USB 2, USB 3, All 10 of the SATA ports, onboard Audio, Audio from HDMI and DisplayPort, running 3 x Monitors and 1 x Projector on the two cards.

Now all I need is a 64 bit version of Hands Off or a new version of Little Snitch, bought Little Snitch before but the upgrade is still expensive.

I no longer have any random freezes that I experienced on Mojave, and the performance is great. There is such a huge difference in performance between the AMD and the Nvidia cards its shocking. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/15/2019 at 10:21 AM, macwanabe said:

I no longer have any random freezes that I experienced on Mojave, and the performance is great. There is such a huge difference in performance between the AMD and the Nvidia cards its shocking. 

It's shocking difference between 30 years old car and brand new car. It's pointless to compare incomparable items. Some NVIDIA cards perform worse than some AMD cards and vice versa. So it's pointless to make this kind of statements. If you want really well perfoming macOS computer, please buy Mac Pro. You will get extremely powerful computer and no any reasons to whine.

https://support.apple.com/sv-se/HT202239

The following aftermarket graphics cards support Metal in macOS Mojave and later:

• AMD Radeon HD 7950 Mac Edition
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Mac Edition 
  • NVIDIA Quadro K5000 for Mac
  • AMD Radeon VII
  • MSI Gaming Radeon RX 560 128-bit 4GB GDRR5
  • SAPPHIRE Radeon PULSE RX 580 8GB GDDR5
  • SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7950 Mac Edition
  • AMD Radeon RX 560
  • AMD Radeon RX 570
  • AMD Radeon RX 580
  • AMD Radeon Pro WX 7100
  • AMD Radeon RX Vega 56
  • AMD Radeon RX Vega 64
  • AMD Radeon Pro WX 9100
  • AMD Radeon Frontier Edition

There is no support for most of NVIDIA graphics cards on Mojave and later. It's just an inevitable part of Hackintosh now. AMD Radeon VII is very powerful graphics card and on most of tasks on your computer it even doesn't use 5% of it's capability. 

Edited by holyfield
fixing typo

14 hours ago, holyfield said:

It's shocking difference between 30 years old car and brand new car. It's pointless to compare incomparable items. Some NVIDIA cards perform worse than some AMD cards and vice versa. So it's pointless to make this kind of statements. If you want really well perfoming macOS computer, please buy Mac Pro. You will get extremely powerful computer and no any reasons to whine.

https://support.apple.com/sv-se/HT202239

The following aftermarket graphics cards support Metal in macOS Mojave and later:

• AMD Radeon HD 7950 Mac Edition
  • AMD Radeon VII
  • MSI Gaming Radeon RX 560 128-bit 4GB GDRR5
  • SAPPHIRE Radeon PULSE RX 580 8GB GDDR5
  • SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7950 Mac Edition
  • AMD Radeon RX 560
  • AMD Radeon RX 570
  • AMD Radeon RX 580
  • AMD Radeon Pro WX 7100
  • AMD Radeon RX Vega 56
  • AMD Radeon RX Vega 64
  • AMD Radeon Pro WX 9100
  • AMD Radeon Frontier Edition

There is no support for most of NVIDIA graphics cards on Mojave and later. It's just an inevitable part of Hackintosh now. AMD Radeon VII is very powerful graphics card and on most of tasks on your computer it even doesn't use 5% of it's capability. 

First of all I was not complaining, I have been building Hackintosh machines since the Pentium 4 and the first Intel version of Mac OSX. I was comparing the performance of the AMD 7950 and the Nvidia GTX 980 Ti. The 980Ti being much slower in Mac OS when using OpenGL based software. Two 980Ti has the same compute speed as the Radeon VII so there is not that much difference when using software like Final Cut or Davinci Resolve. The stability is a difference and just shows how bad the Nvidia Drivers were. I don't see how it can be pointless to share my experiences with people who have the same hardware as I have. Many people still using Nvidia have been thinking of abandoning OSX and move to Windows or Linux. At least they now know adding an AMD card can make a difference depending on the software they use and if it needs CUDA. I max out the Radeon VII and can do with another two of them and they will be maxed out as well. I use Resolve with extensive colour correction and noise reduction. It eats graphics cards for breakfast.

2 minutes ago, macwanabe said:

First of all I was not complaining, I have been building Hackintosh machines since the Pentium 4 and the first Intel version of Mac OSX. I was comparing the performance of the AMD 7950 and the Nvidia GTX 980 Ti. The 980Ti being much slower in Mac OS when using OpenGL based software. Two 980Ti has the same compute speed as the Radeon VII so there is not that much difference when using software like Final Cut or Davinci Resolve. The stability is a difference and just shows how bad the Nvidia Drivers were. I don't see how it can be pointless to share my experiences with people who have the same hardware as I have. Many people still using Nvidia have been thinking of abandoning OSX and move to Windows or Linux. At least they now know adding an AMD card can make a difference depending on the software they use and if it needs CUDA. I max out the Radeon VII and can do with another two of them and they will be maxed out as well. I use Resolve with extensive colour correction and noise reduction. It eats graphics cards for breakfast.

Thank you for explanations ;) and there I fully understand you frustration too.

I just pointed out that your statements in current formulation were either confusing or untrue. I have used for while NVIDIA graphics and I was quite happy with these and I did not like AMD cards for various reasons. Apple's new policy regarding NVIDIA forced me to choose AMD graphics. Thats why I never used Mojave, as I hoped that there will be some kind of solution for NVIDIA. If you check ideocardbenchmark.net charts then TOP12 are NVIDIA cards! But performance isn't only about graphics card's alone but environment is crucial part too. I think that on the era of eGPU's Apple should make it possible to use NVIDIA graphics too. 

Issue you are describing isn't actually NVIDA vs AMD but Apple's policy against NVIDIA that doesn't allow to use NVIDIA graphics cards on latest macOS versions. Apple just doesn't allow NVIDIA cards to perform better or perform at all.

I'm using on one comp Radeon VII and on another Radeon RC Vega 56 now. Radeon VII is quite amazing on FCPX. Bruce X test takes ~4 seconds. Somehow Geekbench is total failure and gives even worse score on Radeon VII than Vega 56.

But I agree with you, Radeon VII is very good choice, especially if you compare the price of Radeon VII with Blackmagic eGPU Pro, which comes with AMD Radeon RX Vega 56  and costs approx €1359. I bought from Amazon AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 for €260.

I think we should blame Apple, not NVIDIA.

Screenshots of CL!ng:

scr-clng-radeon-vii.jpg.1c9a22bc1675b9fa52f4b57e81e41385.jpg

scr-clng-vega-56.jpg.7b374f07e6177fb6981313cd36c4d9ce.jpg

On 1/5/2020 at 12:33 PM, merlinianus_csokigolyo said:

Hi! I have the same X79 system. Can i see your clover settings pls, it would be help a lot! pls share with me! 

Thanks

Hi

I know some people will most probably have lots to say about my configuration, but it works. I also attach the Bios version I am using, its 14e. I have different SMBIOS config files, you can choose which one works best for your graphics card during Clover startup. The AMD 5700 XT seems to be a better choice than the Radeon VII going forward.

https://mega.nz/#!ArwzyI5S!OMT6E5AFVzBHT7wbPTfL24JnBD2GfYZCZVWdu7qxarM

File is too big to add as an attachment.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Hi @macwanabe.  I also have a GA-X79-UD5 however with i7-3970X Sandy Bridge-E and Radeon RX 580 8GB GPU and Bios Ver. F14e.   Thanks so much for sharing your configuration!  This worked brilliantly for me on High Sierra 10.13.6.  Previously I had been using another pieced together configuration wherein I still had USB issues and other occasional problems.    My system is very very stable now with just about everything working.  The only matter outstanding is likely around Power Management and throttling of the CPU.  If anyone can point to best approaches to this for my CPU, it would be much appreciated.  

Some questions:
1. Have you attempted upgrade of Clover since you posted the repository on mega.nz on 1/6/2020 ? You were using a pretty old version (Clover revision: 5094).  If so, any issues?  In particular did you have to make any changes to the UEFI drivers used? 
2. Given your configuration, when you installed Catalina, what things (if any) did you turn off in the BIOS to make the installation work?
3. I noticed in your config that you use AppleIntelE1000e.kext instead of RehabMan-IntelMausiEthernet.  One of the problems I've had with the X79-UD5 and MausiEthernet is that occasionally the system would boot, and the E1000 Card would refuse to connect to the LAN. Did you ever have similar issues?  In any case, for me with your config and AppleIntelE1000e, everything seems much much better.

Thanks again so much for sharing!!!  You likely saved me many many hours of tinkering.

Edited by whotopia

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/19/2020 at 1:44 PM, whotopia said:

Hi @macwanabe.  I also have a GA-X79-UD5 however with i7-3970X Sandy Bridge-E and Radeon RX 580 8GB GPU and Bios Ver. F14e.   Thanks so much for sharing your configuration!  This worked brilliantly for me on High Sierra 10.13.6.  Previously I had been using another pieced together configuration wherein I still had USB issues and other occasional problems.    My system is very very stable now with just about everything working.  The only matter outstanding is likely around Power Management and throttling of the CPU.  If anyone can point to best approaches to this for my CPU, it would be much appreciated.  

Some questions:
1. Have you attempted upgrade of Clover since you posted the repository on mega.nz on 1/6/2020 ? You were using a pretty old version (Clover revision: 5094).  If so, any issues?  In particular did you have to make any changes to the UEFI drivers used? 
2. Given your configuration, when you installed Catalina, what things (if any) did you turn off in the BIOS to make the installation work?
3. I noticed in your config that you use AppleIntelE1000e.kext instead of RehabMan-IntelMausiEthernet.  One of the problems I've had with the X79-UD5 and MausiEthernet is that occasionally the system would boot, and the E1000 Card would refuse to connect to the LAN. Did you ever have similar issues?  In any case, for me with your config and AppleIntelE1000e, everything seems much much better.

Thanks again so much for sharing!!!  You likely saved me many many hours of tinkering.

Hi

I am glad that it helped at least one person. I update to the latest clover without issues with no need to change any kexts. My build has custom CPU power management for the i7-3930K. I think I might have something for your CPU. Will have to dig a bit. Will also take screenshots of my BIOS settings for Catalina. Personally I am not that fond of Catalina and have been running Linux more than OSX lately. Almost all my apps are running natively in Linux and the speed in Resolve is much faster than OSX. I lose out on ProRes and some other codecs but there are workarounds, the speed increase is worth it for me at this stage. I still have Catalina on a separate drive so I do boot into the OS I need to work in. I get 74 fps in Unreal editor in one of my projects in Linux and only 5 fps on OSX.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1