[How To] Solutions for Wireless Problems

Rammjet

173 posts in this topic

I wasn't sure where to post this, but I never did find a solution to my wireless problem on the forum and ended up fixing it myself last night.

Anyway, I swapped out my Prowireless minicard in my Dell E1505 for a Truemobile 1390. Works like a charm and is detected as Third Party Airport. After all updates, it suddently stopped working, that is to say I couldn:t turn the the Airport ON, and I actually found alot of people with the same problem but no solution.

Anyway, tried the swap trick, tried changing my location, making a new login, etc. Nothing worked. Even tried booting into safemode and repairing permissions, and also reloading all kexts etc. Nothing worked.

In the end, I tried removing my battery and booting with only power adapter, didn:t work. Then I tried the reverse, battery with no power adapter, and voila wireless turned on. Then I realized that I had actually had a problem like this before when my DVDRW wouldn:t get any power after the system booted in to XP, even though everything was detected in BIOS.

So anyway, if anyone has problems after updates, try booting without your battery and if that doesn:t work, try booting without power cable. I know it sounds silly, but it seems to be some kind of power problem.

Oh yeah, and i suppose this only applies to laptops, cheers!

So anyway, if anyone has problems after updates, try booting without your battery and if that doesn:t work, try booting without power cable. I know it sounds silly, but it seems to be some kind of power problem.

you know that wasnt really awckward to read, coz i was tryin to make a compaq 4311 broadcom mini pci-e to work on my hp and i lost sleep capability...so there's something about power management to make wireless work...i dont know what, but people were talkin about the card might not be powered enough or the pci-e is not well recognized! im without wireless and cannot live long like that..

I happened to have a USB wireless key with ZyDAS chipset.

But the ZyDAS driver package 'http://the.taoofmac.com/media/Hardware/SMCWUSB-G/ZDA211MacUSB_install_4_5_7_0.dmg'

could not be opened on my OSx86 jas 10.4.8. It says that the package is unsupported or something like that.

Is it because this package is for PowerPC only?

No thats a problem with that DMG or your system is "damaged" that could not open DMGs

DMG are the same for PPC or Intel, they are just disk images, when you run an usuporrted app it says something like "unsupported platform"

No thats a problem with that DMG or your system is "damaged" that could not open DMGs

DMG are the same for PPC or Intel, they are just disk images, when you run an usuporrted app it says something like "unsupported platform"

You are right.

The system says 'The following disk images failed to mount'. Reason: not recognized.

However, finally I have got myself connected - with the build in ethenet card. Still gonna working on the wireless issue, but for now, I am happy with my new Mac OS X 10.4.8 experience.

Hey guys,

this is my first post, but am keen to get my laptop running osx tiger with drivers for both wireless and lan. Luckley enough my sound and video drivers were installed by deafult, my wireless is my biggist concern, its a intel proset wireless 2100, its a mini pci card. I have tryed the patch that is allready made but it seems to crash my mac with the "you need to restart your pc" on the bootscreen. Also i am useing JaS osx tiger 10.4.8 on my dell lattitude x300.

Any help is appreasiated.

Thanks,

Paul,.

Hey, i've been looking around this forum for a solution on making my Atheros AR5001 based PCMCIA card work, and didn't find anything of relevance. Can you tell me (or point me to a thread, although i've searched the forum for like two days) if there's a solution ? There's aren't reports of failure in making it work, but no successfull reports either...

Thanks

Hi warfie

using 9422 and the Bluetooth and WLAN buttons don't work

but tonight is for a test of the iwidrivers :-)

:(

By-the-way... is anyone else using an Acer Aspire 9520? or something similar? Any ideas on getting the Bluetooth and WLAN buttons to work?

Hi warfie

using 9422 and the Bluetooth and WLAN buttons don't work

but tonight is for a test of the iwidrivers :-)

tested the iwi (3945abg) but after booting ---> system have to reboot ....... ;) ----deinstalled.... seems that the bluetooth button and wlan button are the same ;) or a conflict with ??

I used this thread to decide which laptop to buy. As such, I think it is important to note that:

1) Atheros AR5007 cards DO NOT WORK with Mac OS X

2) Swapping the Mini PCIe card in Acer laptops that come with Atheros AR5007EG Mini PCIe cards (3680, 5570Z series) does NOT work, as far as I know. I've tried swapping for Dell/Broadcom, Gigabyte/Atheros, Apple/Atheros, HP/Broadcom, and none of them work.

Hi i've already installed amd mac 10.4.1 and also have two updates 10.4.9 and 10.4.10 and i really don't know how to install them, anyone can give a clue or some guide and also if can help with the Nvidia Nforce ethernet and audio drives becuase i don't know which one it's better for me :( .

My machine has AMD 4600+ 2,4 Ghz, AliveNF6G-VSTA, 2 Gb ram, 160 Gb IDE HDD and Nvidia 8500 GT....... I don't know if this configuration it's better for use Mac OSX system.if you can give me tip in that matter. And thanks this is the best web forum of mac i found on the net.

Hello @all .

I have tested two wireles USB Cards with Macosx 10.4.8 on a 1.69Ghz Sempron(AMD) .

The first is a Zyxell G220 V2 and the second is a dell DWL-G122.

I wasn´t able to get the Zyxell running ( i´ve tried all tipps and tricks ) .

The D-Link i just put in and voila . I had only to enter my WPA-2 key and all done .

Greetings Christoph Weber

• 1 month later...

I got a Minitar USB wifi stick and it has newer Zydas ZD1211 drivers (version 4.5.10.0)

Here are the fixes from 4.5.7.0 extracted from the release notes:

Driver:

- Bug Fix: Can not parse 802.11 element correctly when accumulated length of all elements in the received management frame.

Utility:

- Nothing changed.

Driver:

- The driver did not change in this release.

Utility:

- Fix the following bug: The WLan utility consumed too much CPU resource.

Driver:

- 1. Fix the following bug: The wireless network card is unable to work again after system restart (for Intel-based system)

- 2. Fix the following bug: The wireless network card is unable to work again after system resume from sleep state. (for Intel-based system)

Utility:

- Fix the following bug: The wireless network card can't associate with an Access Point which with a hidden SSID.

ZDA1211MacUSB_install_4_5_10_0.zip

Thanks a lot. I was using 4.5.9.0

I received my Dell Wireless card yesterday, it is working as an Airort. but good to know that Zydas (or Aheros who bought it) din't forget Mac users.

someone help a girl out!

i've tried 4 different wirelss options

wusb11 v 2.8

speedstream wireless usb

some netgear pci card that didn't work

and now i just picked up a d-link wda-2320 pci card.

i see people have got this card working but can't find any information as to HOW.

it gets as far as finding the network then freezes.

its slightly encouraging because all the other attempts didn't get this far.

but PLEASE can you tell me where the driver or solution is for this card?

thanks!

Toh Leopard 10.5.x

Hello Guys Im Main E. im running toh on a hp pavillion 553x pen-4 processor (That sse2 supprted) i have manage to get the sound and ethernet working i have also got it to boot from the second hd 4oGB dual booted with windows xp with chain0.....my only issue is i cant get my system profiler to work it crashes then sends me a relaunch message this is stoping me from finding out what pci cards my system recognizes ......im attempting to find a fix for to wlan device i have

the first wlan device is a netgear wg111L usb dongle but the system sees it as a wg111t is that correct?

the ven id is 1385 dev id 4251 ......

And the second is a pci wlan device

RTL8185 54M wlan

Ven Id _10ec Dev id 8185

if any one has found any solution for making any of these device work or even where i can download system profile patcher

Hi, I'm new here and have only just got started with this forum, so please excuse any breaches of etiquette.

Can anyone point me in the right direction with this question.

I am the proud(ish!) owner of a macintosh Powerbook G3 (I believe it's the one called KANGA)

The family number is M3553

I would really like to know if I can use this as a wireless machine, presumably I need a card for the pcmcia or cardbus slot?

Are these peripherals still available, I know it's an older kind of machine?

The current OS is mac 8.6

any help would be appreciated.

I have seen cards on ebay, but they are all for OS mac 10.2.6 and above, I understand that this model won't comfortably run anything higher than OS 9.1, any ideas where I could hook up with a copy of that, my student allowance doesn't allow much scope for expensive purchases!

Look forward to hearing your thoughts