Am I missing something? (ESXi VM hackintosh)

sephira

3 posts in this topic

As the title says.

I am looking at the best way to hackintosh (clover, open core, vm or no vm) my next build. 

It seems like I can just install ESXi (which is free), apply an unlocker to enable OSX installs, install OSX native (no bootloader) then just pass through the GPU.

Is that really it? I like the idea of having no boatloader to mess around with. 

From my research VM users suggest that you maybe lose 1-2% performance with GPU pass through enabled. I'm ok with that. 

Your points 1 and 2 are the same.

Most people building a hackingtosh will follow a standard guide which is not a VM install. Using things like QEMU (or ESXI in this case) seem to work very well. Just because most people do not do it does not mean it's not a viable option. You yourself seem to have nothing other than speculative ideas about it's efficiency. 

I'm just reaching out to see if anyone has done it and if my understanding (that you don't need a bootloader using ESXi) is correct. 

Thanks for trying to help though. 

To anyone else who thought about this I found the thing I was missing. 

ESXi has a pretty strict CPU compatibility list which doesn't lend itself to desktop grade CPU's.

Other VM mangers (Proxmox, QEMU etc) are not as fussy.

It's a shame as the simplicity of running OSX on ESXi (once unlocked) is neat.