Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Baskyabro

A brief review of the new MacBook Air

1 post in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hello everyone,,

I've bounced around on small laptops for most of my life (12" G4 PowerBook to 13" white plastic MacBook to ThinkPad X301 to MacBook Air 11-inch to MacBook 12-inch to Macbook Pro 13-inch) and have really settled on macOS and the Apple ecosystem (the OS is nice, iCloud storage for photos/contacts/calendar is nice, Time Machine backups are nice, etc.).

I bought a refurbished 2017 MacBook Pro 13-inch (touchbar model) about 3 months ago to upgrade from the 12-inch MacBook. The touchbar is kind of useless and I've had to train myself to use ctrl+[ instead of the escape key in vim because touchbar escape is annoying, but otherwise it's been good.

I was super excited about the new Air because it seemed like the laptop I really wanted a few months ago (light and small like the 12-inch MacBook, but with a larger display and an additional port). So I ordered last week with the intention of replacing my MBP.

I ultimately decided to return the Air, and this is why:showbox.bio/ tutuapp.uno/ vidmate 

The screen isn't quite as good as the MBP (doesn't get as bright and the colors seem more washed out)

The trackpad feels kind of {censored} for some reason compared to the MBP. Identical settings but the click feeling isn't the same.

As much as the gen 2 butterfly keyboard has been scandalous because of dust or whatever, the gen 3 keys (on the Air) feel mushy as hell. I would probably get used to them but I honestly kind of like how loud and clickety-clackety the gen 2 ones on the MBP are and am just keeping my fingers crossed I don't have any issues with them.

The Air is barely smaller or lighter than the MBP. I kind of don't notice a difference when I pick them up, and I like the uniform form factor of the MBP (vs. the tapered shape of the Air where a lot of the weight is concentrated toward the far side of the keyboard).

The MBP's CPU is a lot better and I might want to play games or something on this since it's my only computer

Having ports (and 4 of them!) on both sides of the laptop is pretty convenient for charging on either side

I just thought I'd share this as someone who was fully intent on selling my MBP and moving to the new Air, and found that it wasn't really worth the trade-offs. The battery life on the Air would have been a big plus, but I also didn't think the benefit was worth it.

The Air kinda just feels like a blown up 12-inch MacBook with nothing exciting or new about it, so I'll be sticking with my MBP.

Edited by Baskyabro

Advertisement