Wake issues since Catalina?

26 posts in this topic

What happens is:

When I press sleep from menu, or close lid, the screen will turn off and the machine will look to be sleeping. The fans eventually spin down and it's quiet. When I open the lid back up, nothing happens. Lid stays dark. Nothing will wake the machine back up, not pressing the trackpad, not pressing the power button. The only way I can get back up and running is to hold the power button and fully shut the laptop off (which is what I think caused my Finder issues). Interestingly, I did notice if I press the caps lock key, it lights on and off. Id assume this shouldn't happen if the machine is sleeping.  

I did check my DSDT, and I have a _WAK method in there, and in fact the DSDT I'm using was working just fine for sleep/wake in Mojave. Is anyone else having problems like this, or is there something wrong in my files?

Laptop is Dell Inspiron 11 3153

core i3 6100u

dw1560 wifi/bluetooth

I attached my debug files

debug_6657.zip

Edited by thesuffering

Well, obviously.  But I havent seen anyone else talking about sleep/wake issues so I wanted to clarify if something is up with my files (DSDT, kexts, config.plist) or if its just the beta being a beta.  If nobody posts about these things nobody will know there are issues.  

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your response.

I did that, and instead of waking up to a black screen or freezing, it reboots now.

The weird thing is that it only happens with DGPU as primary, when I set it as secondary everything works fine.

Weird

On 7/24/2019 at 9:36 PM, igorw said:

Thanks for your response.

I did that, and instead of waking up to a black screen or freezing, it reboots now.

The weird thing is that it only happens with DGPU as primary, when I set it as secondary everything works fine.

Weird

Please try this 

Confirm if it works :)

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately it didn't work.

My issue doesn't seem to be audio related.

Sleep/Wake work fine with iGPU as first device.

With the new version of Whatevergreen, it does sleep with dGPU as first device but there must be a HDMI device connected to the iGPU anyways, otherwise it freezes. Turning the TV off (connected to the iGPU HDMI port) also make it freeze.

Setting ig-platform-id as connectionless should resolve that issue, but then again it does not wake from sleep.

So for now, I'm sticking with iGPU as primary device.  

3 minutes ago, igorw said:

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately it didn't work.

My issue doesn't seem to be audio related.

Sleep/Wake work fine with iGPU as first device.

With the new version of Whatevergreen, it does sleep with dGPU as first device but there must be a HDMI device connected to the iGPU anyways, otherwise it freezes. Turning the TV off (connected to the iGPU HDMI port) also make it freeze.

Setting ig-platform-id as connectionless should resolve that issue, but then again it does not wake from sleep.

So for now, I'm sticking with iGPU as primary device.  

Freeze = kernel panic, 

Paste the log,, i assumed you use "debug=0x100" as bootargumen, so when you get kernel panic, system didn't reboot automatically

On 7/27/2019 at 12:49 PM, Andres ZeroCross said:

Freeze = kernel panic, 

Paste the log,, i assumed you use "debug=0x100" as bootargumen, so when you get kernel panic, system didn't reboot automatically

System doesn't reboot with or without debug=0x100. I have enabled it to perform tests now, as well as keepsyms=1.

Weirdly, when I get the system to sleep and then wake it up (which causes the screen to show up and right after, freeze), I don't get any log of this procedure. 

For example, if I send it to sleep at 10:00, wake it up at 10:02 (which freezes), and then reboot at 10:04, I just get logs of sleeping and rebooting. No logs of the process that led to freeze right after wake (also no log at all of the wake attempt, despite the fact that I still can move the mouse for one or two seconds before it freezes).

I'm using log show  --start '2019-07-31 10:00:00' --debug.   Is it right?

2019-07-31 10:00:34.495149-0300 0x2ef      Default     0x0                  93     0    apsd: <private>: Choosing red list for topic <private> because dark wake enabled but not in power nap wake

2019-07-31 10:04:04.000000-0300 0x0        Timesync    0x0                  0      0    === system boot: 46C9E8CF-6F50-40E8-A4DD-0337E2F244D6

59 minutes ago, igorw said:

System doesn't reboot with or without debug=0x100. I have enabled it to perform tests now, as well as keepsyms=1.

Weirdly, when I get the system to sleep and then wake it up (which causes the screen to show up and right after, freeze), I don't get any log of this procedure. 

For example, if I send it to sleep at 10:00, wake it up at 10:02 (which freezes), and then reboot at 10:04, I just get logs of sleeping and rebooting. No logs of the process that led to freeze right after wake (also no log at all of the wake attempt, despite the fact that I still can move the mouse for one or two seconds before it freezes).

I'm using log show  --start '2019-07-31 10:00:00' --debug.   Is it right?

2019-07-31 10:00:34.495149-0300 0x2ef      Default     0x0                  93     0    apsd: <private>: Choosing red list for topic <private> because dark wake enabled but not in power nap wake

2019-07-31 10:04:04.000000-0300 0x0        Timesync    0x0                  0      0    === system boot: 46C9E8CF-6F50-40E8-A4DD-0337E2F244D6

Can you screeenshot your kexts folder of Clover???

4 hours ago, igorw said:

Here you go, both drivers and kexts folders

395037044_ScreenShot2019-07-31at14_04_56.png.0677350f21c6db819fb89aa1aff3c936.png

You shouldn't use AptioMemoryFix-64.efi and OsxAptioFix3Drv-64.efi in same time, SMCHelper-64.efi and VirtualSMC-efi can't be used in same time too. If you used VirtualSMC.kext then delete SMCHelper-64.efi. But VirtualSMC.efi just for FV2. I don't use AGPMInjector for my RX580,, 

BTw, what's your Wifi Model and chipset???

Edited by Andres ZeroCross
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Andres ZeroCross said:

You shouldn't use AptioMemoryFix-64.efi and OsxAptioFix3Drv-64.efi in same time, SMCHelper-64.efi and VirtualSMC-efi can't be used in same time too. If you used VirtualSMC.kext then delete SMCHelper-64.efi. But VirtualSMC.efi just for FV2. I don't use AGPMInjector for my RX580,, 

BTw, what's your Wifi Model and chipset???

Thanks. I made the changes.

AGPMInjector was there as I was trying to fix the issue... I don't think I need it either.

WIFI is BCM943602CS Combo Card. I'm just using AirportBrcmFixup.kext so I can Inject brcmfx-country=US

I'm going through your tutorial again to see if I made a mistake in disabling audio. Will update soon.

1 minute ago, igorw said:

Thanks. I made the changes.

AGPMInjector was there as I was trying to fix the issue... I don't think I need it either.

WIFI is BCM943602CS Combo Card. I'm just using AirportBrcmFixup.kext so I can Inject brcmfx-country=US

I'm going through your tutorial again to see if I made a mistake in disabling audio. Will update soon.

I bought my BCM943602CS from Ali Express (China) and Country Code is normal (ID / Indonesian). 
image.thumb.png.bf695993b2e29e4015899c16eb051cb6.png

16 minutes ago, Andres ZeroCross said:

I bought my BCM943602CS from Ali Express (China) and Country Code is normal (ID / Indonesian). 
image.thumb.png.bf695993b2e29e4015899c16eb051cb6.png

I was getting an Unknown location in Brazil. but may be just cosmetics.

About the sleep issue, I don't think it is HDMI Audio related: As a test, I disabled the iGPU completely on BIOS. 

Now I don't have IGPU or HDEF. Just GFX0 and HDAU, from PEG0. Both set as onboard-1.

296798687_ScreenShot2019-07-31at19_31_07.thumb.png.2354ea015c4e368ae66ffa4ad47d27c5.png

The freeze occur exactly the same.

38 minutes ago, igorw said:

I was getting an Unknown location in Brazil. but may be just cosmetics.

About the sleep issue, I don't think it is HDMI Audio related: As a test, I disabled the iGPU completely on BIOS. 

Now I don't have IGPU or HDEF. Just GFX0 and HDAU, from PEG0. Both set as onboard-1.

296798687_ScreenShot2019-07-31at19_31_07.thumb.png.2354ea015c4e368ae66ffa4ad47d27c5.png

The freeze occur exactly the same.

Just curious,, can you temporary remove BRCMFixup.kext? and check if the issue still persist

8 minutes ago, Andres ZeroCross said:

Just curious,, can you temporary remove BRCMFixup.kext? and check if the issue still persist

Yes, it does. 

Weird thing is that with iGPU as primary everything runs ok.

So I'm thinking it has to do with dGPU Power management... but I'm still unsure where to start looking.

• 1 month later...
On 7/31/2019 at 8:13 PM, Andres ZeroCross said:

I can finally close the issue on this. Thanks to you on the other topic, disabling SERIAL PORT on bios fixed the problem.

I was totally think it was igpu related or dgpu incompatibility. Thanks for the light!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2019 at 10:31 AM, igorw said:

I can finally close the issue on this. Thanks to you on the other topic, disabling SERIAL PORT on bios fixed the problem.

I was totally think it was igpu related or dgpu incompatibility. Thanks for the light!

Solve my problem, thank you !

On 9/28/2019 at 4:31 AM, igorw said:

20 reboots later, I randomly stumbled upon the BIOS serial port option and remembered your post and disabled it... and sleep/wake finally works. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...