adding LAN function after install of High Sierra

LMHmedchem

4 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have the rig in my signature working under High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G5019) for all but a few things.

I don't have a network connection in my shop, so I build my computers without a network connection until everything is set up and I move them to where they will live. This is fine for PCs since all I don't want a connection until I have everything configured and the security software installed and updated.

I am not sure what, if any, kext files for networking I already have installed or what is in the config.

How would I check on that?

Is there a procedure for I need to do?

I will eventually move the computer to where it will be used and connect to my LAN router (wired). What do I need to install before I will be able to use the OSX interface to set up networking once the system is connected. I can't see anything I can do with the OSX interface without a physical connection.

What additional information do I need to post?

Thanks,

LMHmedchem

Edited by LMHmedchem

2 hours ago, Hervé said:

You need to identify the model of LAN interface fitted to your mobo in order to determine whether it's supported by macOS or not.

Thanks, the motherboard is a Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming WiFi 2.0 which uses the Intel GbE LAN chip. How do I reference if this chip is supported or not?

I have read posts where users got internet working on this board using the intelmausiethernet v2.4.0 kext but I am not sure if this is the right kext (I think there is a newer version), where and how the kext needs to be installed, and if there is anything else the needs to be done other than to install the kext and rebuild the cache.

It seems like I could use this kext and the described installation,

IntelMausiEthernet.kext for Intel onboard LAN

and I think I already have that installed.

The motherboard manual just says "Intel GbE LAN" and this doesn't correspond to anything in the above post.

Thanks,

LMHmedchem

Edited by LMHmedchem

9 hours ago, Hervé said:

"Intel GbE LAN" is no indication of the model and therefore not sufficient; look up the device id in IOReg using apps such as IOREgistryExplorer , DPCIManager or the lspci utility (vendor id will be 8086 of course).

I used IOreg to find the adapter and under one of the branches for IntelMausi I found "Intel 1219v2 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Adapter". This is listed in the IntelMausiEthernet.kext thread as one of the sported adapters, so I guess that is good.

I checked and I have IntelMausiEthernet.kext v2.4 installed already. If I power down, connect an Ethernet cable, and restart, should I be able to use the OSX interface to set up a connection?

Do I need to do anything else?

LMHmedchem

Today I connected to the internet. I plugged in the cable with the system off and booted. When the system came up, I opened the Network manager and found the system was connected. I did not have to do anything to set it up.

Apparently with the Intel 1219v2 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Adapter, having the IntelMausiEthernet.kext v2.4 properly installed in /Library/Extensions was sufficient. I don't  know if there was anything configured that I don't know about.

After confirming the connection, I opened Safari and checked a few things. After I closed the Safari window, I did right click on the Safari icon to quit Safari. I have never liked the fact that MacOS leaves apps running in the background after you close out the window. Shortly after I quit safari, the system suddenly restarted. I'm not sure if the events were related or not. I used it for a bit after the restart, mostly some browsing at itunes, and it did not happen again. This has never happened before since I got things configured.

Is it possible that this had something to do with the connection,  IntelMausiEthernet.kext v2.4, or Safari?

I have also recently changed my system definition from 18,3 to 19,2 because I have an i7-8700k. The 19,2 definition doesn't  like High Sierra so I have to boot with the -no_compat_check flag to boot the system. It is possible the restart is related to this but I thought I would check here because the shutdown seemed to be correspond to my shutting down Safari.

LMHmedchem

Edited by LMHmedchem