tonyx86

Mojave on Dell Latitude E6410 With Working Sleep

162 posts in this topic

About the brightness issue, I remember I had it too on my E6320 but unfortunately, I haven't documented in my notes how I fixed it. :-(
Might be a more recent FakeSMC or when I got rid of NVidia drivers (I had it erroneously installed in my first trials) or of the NVRAM emulation? Anyway, you did a great job. ;-)

Edited by Nodarkthings

Advertisement
5 hours ago, Nodarkthings said:

About the brightness issue, I remember I had it too on my E6320 but unfortunately, I haven't documented in my notes how I fixed it. :-(
Might be a more recent FakeSMC or when I got rid of NVidia drivers (I had it erroneously installed in my first trials) or of the NVRAM emulation? Anyway, you did a great job. ;-)

Thanks!  I suspect that the brightness issue would be fixed if we figured out how to get the brightness slider working (currently, brightness can be adjusted only with the Fn-Up / Fn-Down keys).  I tried a few things but didn't spend much time on it.  The brightness keys work very well.

EDIT: I am currently running without PNLF in my DSDT.  I had read that it may be required for sleep, but it is not required for the E6410 to sleep/wake.  It will likely be required if we attempt to get the brightness slider working.  I removed it to see if this resolves the brightness issue when resuming (it's not a consistent problem, so I'll just have to wait and see).

My updated DSDT (without PNLF) is attached.

DSDT.zip

Edited by tonyx86
Added revised DSDT without PNLF

@vbmota and @hazem3ly - I'm not sure if you're both still having "disk unrecognized" issues.  I'm not experiencing any issues with dual-booting Windows and MacOS and I don't have any additional kexts installed, so I thought I'd share my disk strategy.  There are other ways to do this, but this is the approach I've taken:

1. Install new SSD ( Drive A ) in primary drive bay and install macOS (my macOS disk is APFS with Mojave and High Sierra installed).  Install Clover on Drive A and prepare EFI.
  2. Remove Drive A and install new SSD ( Drive B ) in primary drive bay (so that only Drive B is installed and Drive A is not installed)
  3. Install Windows 10 on Drive B leaving unallocated space on Drive B (my Drive B is 256GB SSD with 100GB used by Windows 10)
  4. Use Paragon Partition Manager (free) to format the unallocated drive space on Drive B as HFS+ (note that I created the HFS+ partition on Drive B in Windows 10)
  5. Move Drive B to your 2nd drive caddy and install Drive B in the modular bay
  6. Install Drive A in the primary drive bay

When booting, press F12 to select your disk.  Selecting the primary drive ( Drive A ) runs the Clover bootloader so you can boot macOS.  Selecting the modular drive ( Drive B ) boots Windows 10.  With this strategy, Clover bootloader runs only when booting macOS and not when booting Windows 10.  From macOS, I can use the HFS+ partition on Drive B for macOS storage.

Note that I installed both macOS and Windows in the primary drive bay (before moving the Windows drive to the modular drive bay).  I don't like to install Windows 10 when any other drives are installed.  I find that Windows 10 installer behaves much better when there is only one drive in the computer during the install.  I add drives AFTER Windows 10 is fully installed.  You can probably install Windows 10 on Drive B when Drive B is in the modular bay - this is just the way I did it.

Edited by tonyx86

@Dr. Monkey Now that everything is working (including sleep), I am still not observing working "speedstep" for the GPU.  I'm content with my E6410 as-is and sleep works great, so I'm not planning to do much more with the E6410 (except to get Catalina working).  Every once in a while, I observe RPM for the GPU fan in HWMonitor (see attached screenshot), so I suspect that HWMonitor is not reading the GPU stats correctly and that we can't trust what HWMonitor reports about the GPU.   If you have a more reliable way to read GPU stats, I'd recommend it.  Maybe there's a better version of HWMonitor (I thought I read about one somewhere).

Screen Shot 2019-09-07 at 12.11.36 PM.png

Edited by tonyx86

Removing PNLF from the Latitude E6410 DSDT appears to have "fixed" the brightness problem.  Since making this change, I have not observed brightness at MAX after resuming from sleep and brightness keys work fine after resuming from sleep.  This problem was intermittent before, so I'll continue to monitor.

Wi-Fi, USB and other components/functions resume without issue following sleep.  I have not found any problems so far.  Would be interested in hearing other sleep test observations.

On 9/11/2019 at 10:55 AM, tonyx86 said:

Removing PNLF from the Latitude E6410 DSDT appears to have "fixed" the brightness problem.  Since making this change, I have not observed brightness at MAX after resuming from sleep and brightness keys work fine after resuming from sleep.  This problem was intermittent before, so I'll continue to monitor.

Wi-Fi, USB and other components/functions resume without issue following sleep.  I have not found any problems so far.  Would be interested in hearing other sleep test observations.

Can you share the DSDT with new edits? Thank you!

Edit: nevermind, I found the post above. Will test it.

Answering your suggestion about the disks, I could install the 3 OSes with 2 disks (one for Mavericks and Mojave an second for Windows 10) without any issues now. Thanks again.

Edited by vbmota

I hope others with Latitude E6410s are having the same experience as I am.  I can't believe that a 2010 laptop is this good and runs Mojave so perfectly.  This laptop is truly a pleasure to use.

5 hours ago, tonyx86 said:

I hope others with Latitude E6410s are having the same experience as I am.  I can't believe that a 2010 laptop is this good and runs Mojave so perfectly.  This laptop is truly a pleasure to use.

I trying to appling every edit you do in dsdt but i couldn't make it work, and i feel lost, i don't even know if i patshing it correctly, i also apply your dsdt file without edit but the machine is restarting before entering the os without any error message appears in verbose mode.

please if u can share any guide about patching it i will be grateful i already readed RehabMan [Guide] Patching LAPTOP DSDT/SSDTs but i couldn't find out how to do something like what you mentioned in first post like this (LPCB._DSM patched with device-id "3b09") for example,

and if you have any tutorial/guide on how i can diagonisting my machine like what i have to do with blackdragon's report.
and if it is possible to make full guide like the one by @duduclx it will be great help.
and thank you for your help

@hazem3ly I read through your previous comments to see where we last left things.  When I last looked at your debug files, it appeared to me that you have a system that is the product of multiple installation methodologies.  Adding my DSDT to it is not going to fix the problems.  It will be best if you start from scratch to install macOS using the config.plist from post #1 of this thread, the kexts in post #1 of this thread and the latest DSDT and SSDT-UIAC in this thread (will require you to do a bit of reading of this thread).

This is definitely not a beginner hackintosh guide.  I haven't had time to turn this into a guide, and won't for a while.  If you're new to hackintosh, starting with Mojave on an unsupported system is not the best way for you to start.  It would be better for you to perform a fresh install of High Sierra (which works great with the same files discussed/attached in this thread) and High Sierra doesn't require any patching (e.g. does not require dosdude patcher).

To summarize, the latest DSDT that I posted to fix sleep will not be helpful to you until you have resolved all the other issues you have described previously, which I believe can only be resolved if you start over and perform a fresh installation of macOS.

After you perform the clean installation of High Sierra, we can start to diagnose issues (if any remain).

Edited by tonyx86

I just noticed that when my laptop resumed from sleep (sleep after idle time-out), the display brightness was at maximum. The good thing is that after removing PNLF from the DSDT, the brightness keys work as they should, so brightness is easily adjusted (if necessary) after resuming from sleep.  The difference that I'm observing in brightness behavior after sleep (occasionally at max brightness and usually not at max brightness) may be based on whether the laptop sleeps automatically after idle time-out or I actively "sleep" my laptop (by pressing Fn-F1 or by selecting Apple Menu > Sleep).  I think it may be that the max brightness after sleep occurs only when the laptop sleeps automatically after idle time-out.

16 hours ago, tonyx86 said:

I can testify, sleep is working nicely!

And for my Mavericks partition too! 

I have 3 2010 different machines with Mac OS and the Latitude Notebook always was my good boy.

Thank you again, man.

Edit: one last question is about NTFS R/W partitions.

I can not use NTFS partition without third party softwares (like paragon ntfs or tuxera).

Theres a recommended driver in Clover folder like GrubNTFS.efi or NTFS.efi that I can use in this laptop? Thanks.

Edited by vbmota

The Clover drivers are just for Clover to see/show/use those partitions. They're of no use to gain Write access to any NTFS partition from OS X/macOS.

17 hours ago, vbmota said:

I can testify, sleep is working nicely!

And for my Mavericks partition too! 

Edit: one last question is about NTFS R/W partitions.

I can not use NTFS partition without third party softwares (like paragon ntfs or tuxera).

Glad to hear that sleep is working well for you.  I'm amazed at how well this laptop works.

What happens when you try opening an NTFS partition in Mojave Finder (without any software)?

EDIT: Just re-read your post and see you need R/W.  I assume you found that you can read NTFS.  Not sure how to write.

Edited by tonyx86

I previously posted my 2-disk solution for dual-booting Windows 10 and macOS.  Part of that 2-disk solution includes using Paragon Partition Manager (in Windows) to create an HFS+ partition on the second disk (the Windows disk) installed in the modular bay.  I have confirmed that this HFS+ partition on the second disk works with Time Machine.

Did someone else have this verbose?

"

"name" not a kext

"FailedCLUT" not a kext

"FailedImage" not a kext

"

Edit: theres more one error (I presume is a DSDT edit one) with APCIBatteryManager:

"ACPIBatteryManager: ACPIACAdapter: ACPI method _PSR failed"

Edited by vbmota

37 minutes ago, vbmota said:

Did someone else have this verbose?

"

"name" not a kext

"FailedCLUT" not a kext

"FailedImage" not a kext

"

Edit: theres more one error (I presume is a DSDT edit one) with APCIBatteryManager:

"ACPIBatteryManager: ACPIACAdapter: ACPI method _PSR failed"

@vbmota Try googling your errors (e.g. Google "name" not a kext).  You will find that these are common in syslog.  Looks to me as though the errors you mentioned can be ignored.  Let me know if you find otherwise.

Edited by tonyx86

17 minutes ago, tonyx86 said:

I haven't seen any errors, but I'm probably not looking for them correctly.  Can you share your steps to reproduce and observe the errors?

I was using a ACPIBatteryManager version 1.9 and get this error checked by dmesg at terminal...

Now I changed for version 1.7.20 and no more errors are showing at terminal, just Warnings like:

ACPIBatteryManager: WARNING! fCurrentCapacity > fMaxCapacity. adjusted fCurrentCapacity from 7200, to 4056

1 minute ago, vbmota said:

I was using a ACPIBatteryManager version 1.9 and get this error checked by dmesg at terminal...

Now I changed for version 1.7.20 and no more errors are showing at terminal, just Warnings like:

ACPIBatteryManager: WARNING! fCurrentCapacity > fMaxCapacity. adjusted fCurrentCapacity from 7200, to 4056

Ok.  Google "ACPIBatteryManager: ACPIACAdapter: ACPI method _PSR failed"

You will find that Rehabman commented on this in another thread.  Let us know if you find a fix (if one is needed).

On 9/7/2019 at 6:07 AM, Nodarkthings said:

@Nodarkthings I was looking back at old posts from June 2019 (another forum) where I had first started exploring sleep and audio solutions for this Latitude E6410.  I was reminded that you were one of the first to suggest (to me) NVidia drivers as being related to the sleep problem and you had provided an audio example that replaced AppleALC with VoodooHDA.  Thanks for your contributions that resulted in this successful installation of macOS on the Latitude E6410!

Successfully applied 10.14.6 Supplemental Update 2 to my HackbookPro 6,2 by doing the following:

1. Backup (I use Carbon Copy)
  2. Create a Mojave Installer USB using Dosdude Mojave Patcher version 1.33 (if you don't have one already)
  3. Install Supplemental Update 2 (System Preferences > Software Update)
  4. Allow system to reboot and follow prompts to complete installation
  5. Reboot from the Mojave Installer USB
  6. Run Post Install Utility
  7. Select only the Legacy Graphics Patch
  8. Reboot
  9. From terminal, run 'sudo kextcache -i /'
  10. Reboot
Edited by tonyx86

I think I found my first "issue" with this HackBookPro6,2.  If I enable Caps Lock, disabling Caps Lock may require more than one key press.  Has anyone else seen this?  I'm wondering whether it's VoodooPS2Controller.kext or the physical Caps Lock key.

7 hours ago, tonyx86 said:

I think I found my first "issue" with this HackBookPro6,2.  If I enable Caps Lock, disabling Caps Lock may require more than one key press.  Has anyone else seen this?  I'm wondering whether it's VoodooPS2Controller.kext or the physical Caps Lock key.

I am using a version 6 of VoodooPS2Controller-R6Bronxteck and have no issues with keyboard nor touchpad.

16 hours ago, vbmota said:

I am using a version 6 of VoodooPS2Controller-R6Bronxteck and have no issues with keyboard nor touchpad.

Thanks, @vbmota.  I'll try it out.  I tried asking in the OSXLatitude thread but someone there deleted my question.

22 hours ago, tonyx86 said:

Thanks, @vbmota.  I'll try it out.  I tried asking in the OSXLatitude thread but someone there deleted my question.

And it works with my second partition for Mavericks too.

@vbmota R6 fixed the problem and enabled Trackpad Pref Pane.  Very cool.  I was reading the OSXLatitude Thread for Refined ALPS Trackpad and noticed that someone posted a DSDT patch for brightness.  I didn't read much, but it looked to me like it would be the fix required to get the brightness slider working.  Might be a future experiment.  Thanks for the R6 suggestion.  I'll make the change in post #1.