1,149 posts in this topic

Alternative method to create a Catalina installer app

Download the Python script here https://github.com/munki/macadmin-scripts/blob/master/installinstallmacos.py

Run the script using the new update catalog url https://swscan.apple.com/content/catalogs/others/index-10.15seed-10.15-10.14-10.13-10.12-10.11-10.10-10.9-mountainlion-lion-snowleopard-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog.gz

sudo /usr/bin/python installinstallmacos.py --raw --seedprogram DeveloperSeed --catalogurl https://swscan.apple.com/content/catalogs/others/index-10.15seed-10.15-10.14-10.13-10.12-10.11-10.10-10.9-mountainlion-lion-snowleopard-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog.gz

Advertisement

Here's my submission to add to the few laptops on this thread. To be honest, this was the easiest upgrade of macOS on a hackintosh I've ever had. I just ran the installer, and everything worked, which is pretty surprising considering I was upgrading from macOS Sierra. My ALPS touchpad works flawlessly with multitouch, and Audio works with my ALC292.

Now my big gripe, the performance. I had upgraded to Mojave Beta 1, and then a month later went back to Sierra due to the performance issues I faced, and I feel like it has gotten worse with Catalina. I think this is because of APFS, or maybe it's just because it's a beta and I should just wait for a full release. If anyone has a short term solution I can apply, though, I'd be happy to try anything (anything that isn't installing an SSD or upgrading RAM) because the last 2 macOS updates have made my hackintosh unusable.

Screen Shot 2019-06-03 at 8.35.09 PM.png

1 hour ago, errorexists said:

-alcbeta and -lilubeta  should not be needed

Thanks @errorexists but im try your kext, without success...so many thanks to efforts !!!! Someone try play something with iTunes, especially radio stations? 

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, PMheart said:

--- orig-kernel_patcher.c	2019-06-04 05:26:39.000000000 +0800
+++ patched.c	2019-06-04 05:24:43.000000000 +0800
@@ -483,6 +483,18 @@
 STATIC UINT8 HSieMojSearchModel[]   = {0x89, 0xc1, 0xc0, 0xe9, 0x04};
 // Need to use YosECSieSearchExt, LionReplaceModel

+// Catalina
+/*
+ This patch searches
+  mov eax, r12   ||   mov eax, r12
+  shr al, 0x4    ||   shr eax, 0x10
+ and replaces to
+  mov eax, FakeModel || mov eax, FakeExt
+  nop                || nop
+*/
+STATIC UINT8 CataSearchModel[]      = {0x44, 0x89, 0xE0, 0xC0, 0xE8, 0x04};
+STATIC UINT8 CataSearchExt[]        = {0x44, 0x89, 0xE0, 0xC1, 0xE8, 0x10};
+STATIC UINT8 CataReplaceMovEax[]    = {0xB8, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x90}; // mov eax, val || nop

BOOLEAN PatchCPUID(UINT8* bytes, UINT8* Location, INT32 LenLoc,
                    UINT8* Search4, UINT8* Search10, UINT8* ReplaceModel,
@@ -552,14 +564,22 @@
     return;
   }
 // High Sierra/Mojave patterns
-// Sherlocks: 10.13/10.14.DP1
+// Sherlocks: 10.13/10.14
   DBG_RT(Entry, "CPUID: try High Sierra/Mojave patch...\n");
-  if (PatchCPUID(kernelData, &StrMsr8b[0], sizeof(StrMsr8b), &HSieMojSearchModel[0],
+  if (PatchCPUID(kernelData, &StrMsr8b[0], sizeof(StrMsr8b), &CataSearchModel[0],
                  &YosECSieSearchExt[0], &LionReplaceModel[0], &LionReplaceModel[0],
                  sizeof(HSieMojSearchModel), Entry)) {
     DBG_RT(Entry, "...done!\n");
     return;
   }
+// Catalina patterns
+// PMheart: 10.15.DP1
+  DBG_RT(Entry, "CPUID: try Catalina patch...\n");
+  if (PatchCPUID(kernelData, &StrMsr8b[0], sizeof(StrMsr8b), &HSieMojSearchModel[0],
+                 &CataSearchExt[0], &CataReplaceMovEax[0], &CataReplaceMovEax[0],
+                 sizeof(CataSearchModel), Entry)) {
+    return;
+  }
 }

// new way by RehabMan 2017-08-13

Hi @PMHeart

This CPUID patch, when used, seems to hang the kernel.

Edited by Pene

4 minutes ago, Pene said:

Hi @PMHeart

This CPUID patch, when used, seems to hang the kernel.

Hi, indeed, I made a very stupid typo... Sorry!

Please see: 

Or... Do you mean that it is even broken with my corrections?!

7 hours ago, PMheart said:

As for Kernel Lapic patch, the code looks very different, I haven't come up with an idea how to patch it, sorry, it has been too late here, I feel like taking a nap now...

Sorry,

PMheart

News on Kernel Lapic:

Looks like the method we used to patch Lapic panic is kind of complex nowadays, and the data in 10.15 kernel really looks brand-new. For now I only want to post the patch (NOT guaranteed to work), and wait for the next Beta to check further.

Please try this kernel patch for 10.15 Beta 1:

9E 00 00 74 0E 8B -> 9E 00 00 EB 22 8B

I have Catalina up and running but cannot get video kexts loaded.  I'm hoping it's just a matter of waiting for Lilu and WEG to be updated for 10.15.  Also, my Broadcom Wifi card caused a KP when using AirportBrcmFixup.kext.  When I reverted to FakePCIID.kext and FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi.kext, wifi worked fine.  If anyone has any tips for loading intel IGPU kexts, let me know.

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, PMheart said:

Or... Do you mean that it is even broken with my corrections?!

No, didn't notice that post.

Committed as r4940, now need to test and see.

Edited by Pene

16 minutes ago, mnfesq said:

I have Catalina up and running but cannot get video kexts loaded.  I'm hoping it's just a matter of waiting for Lilu and WEG to be updated for 10.15.  Also, my Broadcom Wifi card caused a KP when using AirportBrcmFixup.kext.  When I reverted to FakePCIID.kext and FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi.kext, wifi worked fine.  If anyone has any tips for loading intel IGPU kexts, let me know.

Have u try -lilubetall ? Works for me.. (and for sure we need updates) :)

6 minutes ago, Pene said:

No, didn't notice that post.

Committed as r4940, now need to test and see.

Thanks! Could you please try it? (i.e pass a value that would not trigger a panic, if you should be using your Z390 as shown in your signature, you could try 0x0306C3 (or 0x3C as how Clover/XNU parses it), which is Haswell)

And then run something like

sysctl machdep.cpu.model

See if the result is 60. (0x3C in hex)

Here's a weird thing. Not that I've got it going (ACPI stall, then get to the apple logo then blank screen) but what it has done is split my volume up into the OS and data. But the data has some other stuff in it - screenshot:

498474286_ScreenShot2019-06-04at3_25_33PM.png.428133567fcfd13031168a588cf29b14.png

1709449383_ScreenShot2019-06-04at3_26_34PM.png.abec143e71ab88bf1726f0c2474a819b.png

No sign of the apps that were installed previous. So just to be clear, I had a few volumes - OSX, OSXbac and OSXHS now I have four - OSX and OSX data, OSXbak and OSXHS.

I'll try a clean install now :)

This is on my Zenbook

6 hours ago, foxlet said:

R9 270x acceleration still works under Catalina.568600255_ScreenShot2019-06-03at9_14_29PM.thumb.png.c47983b385d889fab7970bfc86c3ea0a.png

Does this mean OpenGL still works? Have you tried OpenGL only apps.

52 minutes ago, PMheart said:

Thanks! Could you please try it? (i.e pass a value that would not trigger a panic, if you should be using your Z390 as shown in your signature, you could try 0x0306C3 (or 0x3C as how Clover/XNU parses it), which is Haswell)

And then run something like

sysctl machdep.cpu.model

See if the result is 60. (0x3C in hex)

Sure.

Yes, it seems to be working fine,

2 minutes ago, Pene said:

Sure.

Yes, it seems to be working fine,

Great! Thanks a lot!

21 minutes ago, Cyberdevs said:

Hi,

Just want to get everyone's forgiveness. :P

FakeCPUID is totally broken under Clover r4939, and r4940 is fine as confirmed by @Pene

If possible, please remove it and re-upload r4940!

Thanks,

PMheart

28 minutes ago, PMheart said:

Great! Thanks a lot!

Hi,

Just want to get everyone's forgiveness. :P

FakeCPUID is totally broken under Clover r4939, and r4940 is fine as confirmed by @Pene

If possible, please remove it and re-upload r4940!

Thanks,

PMheart

you are a hero! So what's the dvmt and Usb port limit patch in 10.15 db1 please :blush:

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Ricky1994 said:

you are a hero! So what's the dvmt and Usb port limit patch in 10.15 db1 please :blush:

As for DVMT - I doubt it works with a raw patch, please wait for the update of WhateverGreen.

If you still need it, OK, please tell me which exact FB kext you'd like to patch? (Or rather all?! :D)

Regarding USB patches, I am not sure either, just made these patches based off what we have done under 10.14.5:

EDIT: Please see 

And do NOT use the ones below!

IOUSBHostFamily #1
Find: 83FB0F0F87
Repl: 83FB3F0F87

IOUSBHostFamily #2
Find: 83E30FD3E34109DF
Repl: 83E33FD3E34109DF

AppleUSBXHCI #1
Find: 0F0F83
Repl: 3F0F83

Edited by PMheart