About Just Joined group Read more... ×
fantomas

[pre-release] macOS Catalina

1,709 posts in this topic

Advertisement

Good news for owners of older non metal nVidia and Intel cards :thumbsup_anim: - see post#850 & updated post#938

@ASentientBothas managed to enable GPU acceleration for these cards by replacing Catalina's Frameworks with patched ones from 10.14.3...

Frameworks
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreDisplay.framework
/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SkyLight.framework

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/GPUSupport.framework

Patched Catalina Kexts
/System/Library/Extensions/IOHIDFamily.kext ---> fix HID timeout
/System/Library/Extensions/IOSurface.kext ---> required to load nVidia Tesla kexts from 10.13.6

nVidia Kexts from 10.13.6 for Legacy Tesla Cards
/System/Library/Extensions/GeForceGA.bundle
/System/Library/Extensions/GeForceTesla.kext (patched)
/System/Library/Extensions/GeForceTeslaGLDriver.bundle
/System/Library/Extensions/GeForceTeslaVADriver.bundle
/System/Library/Extensions/IOGraphicsFamily.kext
/System/Library/Extensions/IONDRVSupport.kext
/System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV50HalTesla.kext
/System/Library/Extensions/NVDAResmanTesla.kext

Catalina DP1_19A471t running on my legacy Dell XPS M1530 core2duo laptop with full graphics acceleration from Nvidia Tesla Geforce 8600M GT...

1125688893_CatalinaGraphicsAccelwithTeslaGeforce8600GT.thumb.png.ac721ebd238a6ff04a44586e2b45e973.png

Notes:

1. Still need to delete or rename com.apple.telemetry.plugin in /System/Library/UserEventPlugins to avoid kernel panic for Core2Duo processors (like in Mojave)

2. Repair kext and framework permissions, rebuild caches while booted into Catalina.

Kexts and Frameworks used ...

NVDA Legacy Kexts.zip

Frameworks by AsentientBot.zip

Edit:  Update for DP2_19A487l

Newly patched CoreDisplay.framework for DP2: CoreDisplay_DP2_19A487l.framework.zip , thanks to @Asentientbot post#1472

Need to mount file system as R/W to install kexts & frameworks in DP2:

sudo mount -uw /

Edited by fusion71au
Update for DP2_19A487l

Hello all,

I have acceleration with @AsentientBot  fixes and most things work,\. Thanks to these developers my ancient hackbook seems good for another macos at least for now.

Only problem is in one of the track pad functions.

Almost all features in track pad work except the drag option.

I have checked this option in accessibility pane and used both vodoops2controller.kext and the i2c one posted in response to @mnfesq post couple of replies earlier.

Other features work, except only dragging/drag drop not functional.

Trackpad fully functional with vodoops2 in mojave.

Any suggestions/fix for this?

Thanks

10 hours ago, fusion71au said:

Good news for owners of older non metal nVidia and Intel cards :thumbsup_anim: - see post#850 & updated post#938

@ASentientBothas managed to enable GPU acceleration for these cards by replacing Catalina's Frameworks with patched ones from 10.14.3...

Frameworks
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreDisplay.framework
/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SkyLight.framework

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/GPUSupport.framework

Patched Catalina Kexts
/System/Library/Extensions/IOHIDFamily.kext ---> fix HID timeout
/System/Library/Extensions/IOSurface.kext ---> required to load nVidia Tesla kexts from 10.13.6

nVidia Kexts from 10.13.6 for Legacy Tesla Cards
/System/Library/Extensions/GeForceGA.bundle
/System/Library/Extensions/GeForceTesla.kext (patched)
/System/Library/Extensions/GeForceTeslaGLDriver.bundle
/System/Library/Extensions/GeForceTeslaVADriver.bundle
/System/Library/Extensions/IOGraphicsFamily.kext
/System/Library/Extensions/IONDRVSupport.kext
/System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV50HalTesla.kext
/System/Library/Extensions/NVDAResmanTesla.kext

Catalina DP1_19A471t running on my legacy Dell XPS M1530 core2duo laptop with full graphics acceleration from Nvidia Tesla Geforce 8600M GT...

1125688893_CatalinaGraphicsAccelwithTeslaGeforce8600GT.thumb.png.ac721ebd238a6ff04a44586e2b45e973.png

Notes:

1. Still need to delete or rename com.apple.telemetry.plugin in /System/Library/UserEventPlugins to avoid kernel panic for Core2Duo processors (like in Mojave)

2. Repair kext and framework permissions, rebuild caches while booted into Catalina.

Kexts and Frameworks used ...

NVDA Legacy Kexts.zip

Updated frameworks by AsentientBot.zip

Hmmb, different case on NVDA Fermi unfortunately.. -_- that's weird that GeForce, NVD*, IOAccel, IOGraphics, IOSurface, AppleGraphics.. all are loaded but having no acceleration on GT 520M (GF119), no dependencies issue appear on logs though.

Sidecar support on older Macs

renderTimingPixel.png

Not every Mac that supports macOS Catalina will support the Sidecar feature. I could not find any official info, but here are my own findings. There’s an explicit check that the Mac is newer than these models:

• MacBook, MacBook Air: Early 2015

• MacBook Pro: Mid 2015

• iMac: Late 2015

• Mac mini: Late 2014

• Mac Pro: Late 2013

I managed to make Sidecar work with my Mid 2014 MacBook Pro work and iPad Pro. It’s great in terms of minimal lag, but the image quality is bad. I guess the limitation is about hardware HEVC encoding which requires Intel Core 6th gen processoHere’

If you need this feature on an older Mac despite low image quality I suggest filing a bug report with Apple. A hidden option to disable such hardware check would be great.

That requires disabling System Integrity Protection and editing SidecarCore private framework to exclude your Mac model from the blacklist.

Edit: To enable unsupported Mac and "display" devices use this Terminal command:

defaults write com.apple.sidecar.display AllowAllDevices -bool true; defaults write com.apple.sidecar.display hasShownPref -bool true; open /System/Library/PreferencePanes/Sidecar.prefPane

I had discovered the AllowAllDevices settings before writing this post, but for some reason it did not have effect at first so I resorted to patching the files. Looks like the patching is not needed.

15 hours ago, anmool said:

Catalina 10.15 auto shutdown issue after 20 and 30 minutes while running

anyone have this issue

Try to disable disk-sleep mode in system preferences, energysaverprefpane. it worked for me, no more shutdowns. Good luck 

53 minutes ago, testubabe said:

Try to disable disk-sleep mode in system preferences, energysaverprefpane. it worked for me, no more shutdowns. Good luck 

It worked for me also thanks

7 hours ago, Rockey12 said:

Sidecar support on older Macs

renderTimingPixel.png

Not every Mac that supports macOS Catalina will support the Sidecar feature. I could not find any official info, but here are my own findings. There’s an explicit check that the Mac is newer than these models:

• MacBook, MacBook Air: Early 2015

• MacBook Pro: Mid 2015

• iMac: Late 2015

• Mac mini: Late 2014

• Mac Pro: Late 2013

I managed to make Sidecar work with my Mid 2014 MacBook Pro work and iPad Pro. It’s great in terms of minimal lag, but the image quality is bad. I guess the limitation is about hardware HEVC encoding which requires Intel Core 6th gen processoHere’

If you need this feature on an older Mac despite low image quality I suggest filing a bug report with Apple. A hidden option to disable such hardware check would be great.

That requires disabling System Integrity Protection and editing SidecarCore private framework to exclude your Mac model from the blacklist.

Edit: To enable unsupported Mac and "display" devices use this Terminal command:

defaults write com.apple.sidecar.display AllowAllDevices -bool true; defaults write com.apple.sidecar.display hasShownPref -bool true; open /System/Library/PreferencePanes/Sidecar.prefPane

I had discovered the AllowAllDevices settings before writing this post, but for some reason it did not have effect at first so I resorted to patching the files. Looks like the patching is not needed.

Still doesn't work.  I already had sidecar in system preferences but whenever it tries to connect to the iPad it just shows a black screen then error code -401.  Will keep checking on later betas.  Thanks though!

Any hope of getting a BCM4322 wifi card (14e4:432b) working with Catalina? It was supported natively up to Mojave but with the Brcm4331 kext gone it's no longer detected.

I tried adding the device ID to AirportBrcmFixup but it panicked on boot.

14 hours ago, Sherlocks said:

mojave too from your catalina package?

나의 SM-N960N 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

Mojave I have a différant package because I don't whant mixed OS

both package available  here HD 3000 Package

Edited by chris1111
both package available

Something odd happens now on my CustoMac. Both Mojave, which was super stable, and Catalina don't work properly anymore. By that I mean that my monitors randomly black out while being in use. I have two same model monitors connected to RX580 dGPU. One monitor is connected via DP port, the other via HDMI. The monitor that is connected with DP blacks out more often and more frequent. I'm not sure if this is caused by some of the latest clover patches or if there is a kext issue on my machine. Has anyone experienced similar issues or know how or what I can investigate?

Hi - I'm new here, so thanks in advance for all the help you're all giving! It's very appreciated.

I have an 8th gen i5 Intel NUC that I'm trying to get Catalina on to, but keep running into an issue. It seems to be linked to APSF, like a previous comment posted, however I was always using FakeSMC (never VirtualSMC). I am largely using the files provided in RehabMan's guide, but with small updates that were made to make it compatible with 10.14.5. I am using Clover 4964.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

image.png

config.plist

Screen Shot 2019-06-15 at 12.11.37 am.png

5 hours ago, Vinbie said:

Hi - I'm new here, so thanks in advance for all the help you're all giving! It's very appreciated.

I have an 8th gen i5 Intel NUC that I'm trying to get Catalina on to, but keep running into an issue. It seems to be linked to APSF, like a previous comment posted, however I was always using FakeSMC (never VirtualSMC). I am largely using the files provided in RehabMan's guide, but with small updates that were made to make it compatible with 10.14.5. I am using Clover 4964.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

image.png

config.plist

Screen Shot 2019-06-15 at 12.11.37 am.png

looks like apfs.efi is missing

7 hours ago, Roboter said:

Something odd happens now on my CustoMac. Both Mojave, which was super stable, and Catalina don't work properly anymore. By that I mean that my monitors randomly black out while being in use. I have two same model monitors connected to RX580 dGPU. One monitor is connected via DP port, the other via HDMI. The monitor that is connected with DP blacks out more often and more frequent. I'm not sure if this is caused by some of the latest clover patches or if there is a kext issue on my machine. Has anyone experienced similar issues or know how or what I can investigate?

I have the same problem a very long time and I didn't find any solution for that. I have one display and I am losing my screen randomly while working. I tried too many things but it never fixes. I even upgrade my all systems but nothing helped. But, I think yours is turning black mine is turning grey while in use. I even found a way how to investigate this problem I always making force restart from the case.

2 hours ago, Joshua60 said:

looks like apfs.efi is missing

It was my understanding that APFSDriverLoader was to be used instead of this. If I'm wrong, where is your what suggestion to obtain the newest copy of apfs.efi? Thanks! 

6 hours ago, Vinbie said:

It was my understanding that APFSDriverLoader was to be used instead of this. If I'm wrong, where is your what suggestion to obtain the newest copy of apfs.efi? Thanks! 

Navigate to /usr/standalone/i386/

Copy apfs.efi in /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/

Remove Verbose Text

Open Terminal

1. sudo perl -i -pe 's|\x00\x74\x07\xb8\xff\xff|\x00\x90\x90\xb8\xff\xff|sg' /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/apfs.efi

On 6/7/2019 at 6:20 PM, Sherlocks said:

did you say this issue to rehabman?

I thought I would spend some time to investigate the issue with BrcmPatchRAM first. Please check out the following post and let me know if it works for you. I have linked to it on GitHub so RehabMan can hopefully see it.

Edited by headkaze