[SOLVED] Replacing board serial with my real Mac Pro 5,1's?

JackRabbitSlim

3 posts in this topic

Hi everyone. Have completed my first successful build. Before I start installing software, (or ideally cloning my user library from a clone), I have a question about something I read on Hackintosher. (Hope posting links from them here is ok?? (Please let me know if not.)

Anyway I found the post below that says I can replace my board number with one from a legit Mac.

"You can also use one off a valid Mac that you own if you wish."

I'm wondering a couple things about this...

1. Would this increase the chance of my icloud being flagged?

2. If I replace my hack's board serial and serial number with my MP's any chance this will increase my chances of some of my software licenses carrying over?

Or am I SOL in that department and expect to re-authorize everything?

(I own A LOT of software! Authorization takes at least 3 days, often longer o_O)

Article below, please let me know if outside links aren't ok!

https://hackintosher.com/forums/thread/generate-your-own-hackintosh-serial-number-board-serial-number-uuid-mlb-rom-in-clover.306/

Edited by JackRabbitSlim
clarity

Thanks for the clarification @InsanelyMacaholic, all good points...

The reason I had asked is that a lot of music software has really restrictive licensing policies, (ridiculously restrictive, some limiting you to 2 machines.) And when you own a lot of software the authorization process to get back up and running can take a few days... Some companies are also less easy to reason with if you change machines every few years...

Since most music software authorization schemes are just challange/response codes based on the machine ID, being able to keep the same board ID/serial number would theoretically prevent me from having to re-authorize most of my software, saving a few days of my life :p That said if I do decide to sell my old Mac Pro it does sounds like it could be a hassle, and I'd probably just be back in the same boat of having to re-authorize anyway..

Last thing if you don't mind...

1. I've seen some posts where people say the number they used eventually wound up getting registered to a legit mac. I'm assuming this is very rare??

2. Also, I've followed a guide to get iCloud working. Although system profiler shows my onboard ethernet IS en0, my mac address does not start with en0. (Under the 'advanced' tab in network preferences). Is this going to cause an issue with iCloud?

30 minutes ago, Hervé said:

Erm...

en0 is the (1st) interface index in the OS ! MAC @ are made of 6 x hexadecimal bytes, so... :whistle: Where on earth did you get this idea that your MAC @ should start with en0 ??? :surprised:

I followed an iMessage video where their en0 device started with a mac address of e0. Just a very weird coincidence!  Apologies for misunderstanding, I'm only a few days in so thank you again for the patience!