[SOLVED] 1st hackintosh, High Sierra installer won't start - "This version of Mac OS X is not supported on this platform"

10 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

This is my first hackintosh. To be completely honest there's still a lot I'm trying to figure out... And considering I can't even get the installer to begin, seems like there's something I'm just not understanding. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

I've specced the machine based on a multiple successful builds I've seen in various vanilla forums.

I've set the recommended BIOS, double-checked, but can't even get to an installer screen despite following a Vanilla guide from a popular hackintosh youtuber.

(Not sure if her links can be mentioned, posted etc... Just playing it safe since this is my 1st post...)

THE BUILD:

Gigabyte Z390 Designare

i9 9900k

Sapphire Radeon RX580 Pulse - 8 GB

G.Skill TridentZ 3200 - 64 GB

Samsung EVO 840 (This is a scrap drive. Planned on using it to get the build running first, then cloning my MP 5,1 HS image after.)

Other Stuff: Bluetooth, USB, iGPU, etc not important yet... Current goal is just to get the machine booting... I'll focus on WIFI/BT etc after...

I've tried multiple SMBIOS profiles, (listed below). All of them prevent me from even booting the installer with the message below.

At this point I'm wondering if the issue is HS related, or if there's a step that, although obvious to some, isn't obvious to me and overlooking somehow.

Message returned when attempting to boot the installer. (Pic attached):

This version of Mac OS X is not supported on this platform!
Reason: Mac-AA95B1DDAB278B95

I also get an error when I click update in Clover saying: Package is incompatible with this version of OS X and may fail to install
^ Seems like this indicates I've missed a step or done something wrong?

Here's a list of the complete steps I've taken so far:

Double-checked BIOS settings according to each build.

Built a vanilla installer based on the video I mentioned above, steps listed below... (I've done this twice now, confirming I followed the steps in the guide.)

Vanilla Installer Steps:

• Wiped and formatted my thumb drive with GUID Partition, HFS Extended (Journaled)
  • Used terminal to create a bootable installer from a 10.13.6 installer I downloaded last june/july.
  • Installed Clover Bootloader onto the Install macOS High Sierra partition of the thumb drive, and ticked:
  • Clover for UEFI booting only, Install Clover into the ESP, VBox HFS-64, APFSDriverLoader-64, AptioMemoryFix-64 (leaving everything else unticked.)

Clover Configurator Steps:

• Mounted the Thumb Drive's EFI folder, opened C.C. and "downloaded" Lilu, WhateverGreen, & FakeSMC to the Other folder, & installed sensors.
  • Deleted the default plist and manually created one using the Coffee Lake 'sample plist' from r/Vanilla Hackintosh Desktop Guide.
  • Copy plist to the mounted EFI folder.

Open the plist with CC and did the following:

• Confirmed the following flags were set in CC's Boot section - Verbose (-v), dart=0, debug=0x100, & keepsyms=1
  • Tried 5 different SMBIOS profiles - iMac 18,1 ,  iMac 18,3 ,  iMac 19,1 , iMacPro 1,1 , and MacBookPro 15,1.

All result in the same Mac OS X is not supported on this platform message. The one suggestion I've found so far that seemed like it might work was to add the boot argument:

-no_compat_check

Same results, installer won't start and I get the same message...

Seems like there must be something I've missed or I've done something wrong... I've spent the weekend searching, reading, etc, no luck so far...

A few questions:

• I made the installer on my MacBook, not the build I'm trying to hack. Could this be related to the issue?  

(I.e. - Does the vanilla method mean you need to create your SMBIOS profile on the actual machine you'll be Hackintoshing?)

• Is there a 9900k or Sapphire RX580 compatibility patch needed for 10.13 I haven't seen mentioned in the Mojave builds?

• Does the Clover update message package is incompatible with this version of OS X and may fail to install indicate something isn't right with my installer setup?

Please excuse me if anything above isn't clear, I'm brand new to all this and frankly I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around a lot of it!

IMG_0569-edited.jpg

Thanks MaLd0n. Will read through the topic and give it a shot... If anyone else in the meantime has any idea about why I might be seeing this message it would be appreciated. Thanks again...

Guest ricoc90
9 hours ago, JackRabbitSlim said:

Thanks MaLd0n. Will read through the topic and give it a shot... If anyone else in the meantime has any idea about why I might be seeing this message it would be appreciated. Thanks again...

Well, High Sierra has no support for iMac19,1. Support starts with Mojave 10.14.4. The other SMBIOSes _should_ work fine though

After updating BIOS, reapplying SMBIOS iMac 18,3 and trying a few different USB ports I managed to get the installer booting but it stalls with the message "HID: Legacy Shim 2"  . After about a minute of waiting I get a bunch of random characters and a circle with a slash (can't continue) message.

Although you can't make out most of the message the last thing I've seen after multiple attempts is "r root device".

I did some searching, so far I haven't found a specific issue this relates to.. Seems to vary by MOBO...

Wondering if anyone might see anything that might be a clue where the installer is hanging?

Pictures attached, thank you!

And thanks ricoc90. Not sure why the 18,3 SMBIOS wasn't working, think the board just needed a BIOS flash...

IMG_0575.thumb.jpg.fb31d8425cbb3e6c211c6973a77e6723.jpg

IMG_0585-edited.thumb.jpg.ee30e56b7342e888f805465fef0404b7.jpg

IMG_6573.thumb.jpg.275d0e00b879c8faca190c86e4c6e3dc.jpg

Edited by JackRabbitSlim

51 minutes ago, JackRabbitSlim said:

After updating BIOS, reapplying SMBIOS iMac 18,3 and trying a few different USB ports I managed to get the installer booting but it stalls with the message "HID: Legacy Shim 2"  . After about a minute of waiting I get a bunch of random characters and a circle with a slash (can't continue) message.

Although you can't make out most of the message the last thing I've seen after multiple attempts is "r root device".

I did some searching, so far I haven't found a specific issue this relates to.. Seems to vary by MOBO...

Wondering if anyone might see anything that might be a clue where the installer is hanging?

Pictures attached, thank you!

And thanks ricoc90. Not sure why the 18,3 SMBIOS wasn't working, think the board just needed a BIOS flash...

Use another USB port, preferably one of the USB 2.0 ports on the back panel or make sure you have the correct USB port limit patches in your config.

7 hours ago, Cyberdevs said:

Use another USB port, preferably one of the USB 2.0 ports on the back panel or make sure you have the correct USB port limit patches in your config.

Tried the front ports & it worked. Before flashing my BIOS the front ports wouldn't even load the installer. Also one of the builds I based this on said the Designare wouldn't boot into the installer from the front ports after using the latest BIOS. Must have been MOBO specific for them, front ports booted right into it today. guess it was just a combo of a BIOS flash and trying the same ports again...

Anyway Thanks! :guitar::guitar::guitar:

Edited by JackRabbitSlim

Ok! I figured out part  of the cause of the "This version of Mac OS X is not supported on this platform" message. The scrap 840 EVO Drive I was going to install High Sierra onto also has a separate High Sierra partition from my real Mac Pro. Can't install HS onto that disk, guessing because of an EFI check happening on that disk... Have a scarp spinning rust drive I'm installing onto instead and installation starts.

Installer's hanging after first restart, but I'll post that to another thread so this thread can be marked solved...

Do I need to mark this thread as SOLVED? If so how...

Thanks everyone for helping so far!

Edited by JackRabbitSlim

1 hour ago, JackRabbitSlim said:

Do I need to mark this thread as SOLVED? If so how...

Done!

For you do this, just edit the first post, then, you can edit the title topic.

1 hour ago, Allan said:

Done!

For you do this, just edit the first post, then, you can edit the title topic.

Great thank you!