Gorec

DSDT Request - random restarts, shutdown fix, glitches caused by GPU or memory (X99, i7 5820k, 1060)

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hi.

I apologize in advance if I didn't post in the right category and if my title and description aren't specific enough :c

My config in a nutshell:

• CPU: i7 5820k
  • GPU: MSI GTX 1060 3GB
  • RAM: 16 GB
  • MOBO: MSI X99 SLI PLUS

I attached RunMe output with all the details of my built.

Some background:

I have my Hackintosh for about half a year. That time I managed to make it works and fix major issues, but some of them left unresolved since then and I ignored them until now.

I use my Hackintosh for Adobe projects (PR, AE, PS, IL, AU and a lot more) - most of them connected with video editing of course browsing with Chrome and other small tasks.

Problems:

• Random restarts - this is the biggest one. I'm starting to work on bigger and bigger projects and at this time I think I can't allow this to happen that often. In the past, they happened like once a day or a couple of times a week. However, now it's just frustrating when it happens even 5 or more times a day. I've tried to observe and find out what can be the cause but I haven't managed to find any connections. I thought it happens when Premiere or another app is using GPU, but I haven't seen increased usage when it restarts. I think that it can be connected with GPU, memory or PSU or... meh, anything else. I don't have resources to check if it'll work with other components. There should be some fix for this. I will really appreciate any help with this :c
  • Restart instead of shutdown & sleep doesn't work. I've tried to look through some Google results for this and tried many solutions (as you can see in attached Clover folder), but I think the right one for many of these issues is to make my own DSDT.
  • Glitches, freezes and other things while encoding a video. It happens very often when I try to do this. Maybe it is an issue with GPU or (hopefully) only with GPU drivers which can be fixed with some patch.
  • Today my headphones stopped working. I have a multi-output device configured in the Audio MIDI Setup app which includes my headphones (HyperX Cloud via USB) and Soundflowerbed virtual audio device for capturing system audio. Today while I was trying (like 15 times) to encode a video in Media Encoder in the background and watch video on YouTube I stopped hearing anything from my system. Of course, it restarted a couple of times as always, but even this didn't solve this. If I plug them directly with mini jack (not via USB Soundcard which was in the box and which I always used) in the front IO or the back I only hear some loud noise
  • It takes EX-Fat formatted volumes a few minutes to mount after each restart. I found a workaround to format it with NTFS since I have Tuxera installed and I will reformat these volumes when I will find time for this, but maybe there is some fix for this.
  • GPU is a little bit hot. HW Monitor shows it is only 45-55 degrees, but for my hand is a little bit hot, idk.
  • Also related to GPU - glitch after POST but before entering Clover boot menu. It is a black screen with little white squared glitches for a few seconds. Maybe it indicates the GPU drivers are loading, but maybe it shouldn't be like this.
  • And if I can ask about that - I can't make all applications hide on startup. I, obviously, have "Hide" checkbox checked on every login item in settings, but it doesn't work, none of the apps is hidden in the dock. Is there a way to fix this?
  • Also a small but annoying problem - I can't turn off permanently Mojave update notification (since I tried to install it, and I had to reverse to High Sierra because I had a black screen and I didn't have time for repairing all of them.
  • Tags are not working in Finder - every time I tag a file or folder and make a change in it (for example save a text file) the tag disappears.

So, with knowing all of that, is there a way to make a proper DSDT file for my Hackintosh? I tried to look through some guides on how to make it but I think I reached my abilities to understand how Mac OS works and what all of these things are, so I'm asking you guys politely, would someone like to help me? At least with these random restarts? :/
I really begin to think that I'm a newbie in configuring all of that Clover things - even after what I managed to do with my PC. Help me, pleease... :c

If you have any questions post it below, I will really appreciate any help <3

Send me MBP-Gorec.home.zip

Edited by Gorec

Advertisement
Posted (edited)

Before diving into DSDT patching and since you've not attached anything to your post, maybe you'd be good enough to post a few details of your build such as:

• zipped copy of your Clover EFI folder (will include copy of any patched BIOS tables, Clover config and injected kets)
  • zipped saved output of IORegistryExplorer
  • any relevant information about add-on kexts you may have installed in /S/L/E and/or /L/E
  • any modifications you may have done to vanilla kexts
  • information re: installation of the nVidia Web Driver which I can only presumed installed to run that GTX 1060

Thank you.

Edited by Hervé

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Hervé said:

Before diving into DSDT patching and since you've not attached anything to your post, maybe you'd be good enough to post a few details of your build such as:

• zipped copy of your Clover EFI folder (will include copy of any patched BIOS tables, Clover config and injected kets)
  • zipped saved output of IORegistryExplorer
  • any relevant information about add-on kexts you may have installed in /S/L/E and/or /L/E
  • any modifications you may have done to vanilla kexts
  • information re: installation of the nVidia Web Driver which I can only presumed installed to run that GTX 1060

Thank you.

Oh, sorry I didn't notice I didn't attach anything while I was writing this post second time, sorry :/
I added an attachment to the post. I think RunMe has collected everything that is possible including the output of IORegistryExplorer, so yeah.
And about the drivers, I have NVIDIA Web Driver (up to date - 387.10.10.15.15.108) and CUDA Driver (also up to date - 418.105) installed.
Thank you in advance!

Edited by Gorec

Posted (edited)

Your Clover setup is incorrect re: CPU power management:

• you try to inject a generated CPU-specific SSDT table under the name "SSDT-2-CpuPm"; usually it's simply called "ssdt"
  • at the same time, you try to inject a ssdt under the name "SSDT-3-CpuPm" which ails to inject the PlugIn type
  • in your Clover config file, you drop SSDT id CpuPm & Cpu0Ist
  • at the same time, in your Clover config, you selected "PluginType"
  • to top it all, you inject NullCPUPowerManagement kext !

All these settings are mutually exclusive and conflictual...

You also appear to try and inject a very old AppleACPIPlatform kext. Version v2.0 dates back to Mountain Lion or something like that. What's the reason for doing that??? It's v6.1 in HighSierra 10.13.6 so I'm not even sure injection is successful...

I strongly recommend the following:

1. Remove NullCPUPowerManagement kext from Clover kexts folder
  2. Remove AppleACPIPlatform kext from Clover kexts folder
  3. Either drop ssdt CpuPm + Cpu0Ist in Clover config and inject the CPU-specific SSDT (created by Pike R Alpha's well-known generator script) under the name "ssdt.aml"
  4. Or simply enable/tick PluginType (which then won't require the "ssdt-3-CpuPm" you've placed in ACPI/patched)
  5. In Kernel & Kext Patches section, remove "KernelCPU" and select "KernelPm" which applies to Haswell/Broadwell platforms
  6. in SMBIOS section, a Haswell iMac14,x/iMac15,x profile may be preferable to the MacPro6,1 you've opted for

Regarding video encoding or decoding, I recently read a thread on this forum that stated that hardware encoding or decoding was not available through the nVidia graphics card under macOS, only through the iGPU. There's a fix apparently available through Lilu + its WhateverGreen Plugin where you use the iGPU with a connector-less frame. Details are available here. Can't say if that remains applicable now that Shiki has been integrated into WEG.

Edited by Hervé