1. Rockey12

Rockey12

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By valueimagery
      Okay So I have two PCIe controller cards, both 3rd party, unbranded from eBay.

1st runs off the Marvell 88SE92xx chipset.  4 Internal Ports.
      https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PCI-E-PCI-Express-to-SATA3-0-4Port-SATA-III-6G-Expansion-Controller-Card-Adapter/264029216955?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

2nd runs off the ASMedia ASM1061 chipset. 2 Internal/ 2 External Ports (selectable by jumpers)
      https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PCI-E-To-SATA3-PCI-E-SATA3-0-6Gb-s-the-SSD-Asmedia-Chip-Expansion-Card-ASM1061/191572577652?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

The hack is running stable no issues on 10.4.2 with an i7 8700k ASUS Maximus X Code as iMac 18,3

However, I wanted to add eSATA ports for some older drive enclosures I own, and some extra internal SATA ports as I've used all the SATA ports on the Motherboard.
      The 1st Marvell actually works OOB in Mac OSX.  No kexts needed.  Speeds seem good (350R/400W on an SSD 80R/W on a 5400 HDD)

However, a few things don't seem perfect.
      1) the AHCI version is 1.0.  I imagine this could and should be a newer version? 1.2 or 1.31? If it should be updated, is this something only able to be flashed from a Windows OS?
      2) It can't be used as a boot option.  the Maximus doesn't recognise it as a startup option.  Is this a possible AHCI version firmware issue?  Is booting ever possible from these controllers? 
      3) TRIM was disabled in system profile. I know it automatically worked OOB for my NVME2 drives connected to the motherboard,  But to enable Trim on an SSD 860 EVO I needed to submit the terminal command:
      sudo trimforce enable

Now the second ASMedia controller I haven't been able to get to work.  I've switched the jumpers (not sure which position is the 1,2,3) so I've made it so that one internal and one external will operate to test the card.

System profiler sees the card like all the others as a "Generic AHCI Controller" with AHCI version 1.20 supported.
      However, I cannot get any drive to be recognised in the eSATA ports.  I haven't tested the internal ports as I don't need these.

I've attempted using two kexts (attached) AHCI_3rdParty_eSATA.kext and AHCIPortInjector.kext
      When I use AHCIPortInjector.kext the SATA device is recognised in system profiler as an ASM1062.  However no drive works with this kext.  And reading the chip itself on the card it says ASM1061.  So not sure why it's preferring the 1062 entry over the 1061 since both are present in the kext.

When I use AHCI_3rdParty_eSATA.kext that SATA device is not recognised at all in the system profiler.  It disappears.

I'm not using a custom DSDT for this motherboard and I've attached my config.plist if anyone has some insight on either cards.

Cheers,
      Shark

config-NOSN.plist
      AHCI_3rdParty_eSATA.kext.zip
      AHCIPortInjector.kext.zip
    • By Lilith
      Hi,
      i have a little old mobo with socket 1156 no Sata 3 - biostar tpower i55 and i Was wondering if i had some chance to install a new nvme memory like Intel 760p.
      Due lack of support by my mobo i found a Pci Express card lycom dt-120 to expand my connectivity.
      After some researches i understood that i need a ‘bios support for the boot from nvme disk’. I want some of these nvme memory to install high Sierra and get a killer desktop.
      I think that i haven’t obviously a native bios support cause my mobo is pretty old, so i can’t get an nvme disk and install properly high Sierra hoping that boot?
      Or should i catch anyway? I Guess that same problem is for w10? 
      Thanks, Gabriele.
    • By ITzTravelInTime
      This is a dedicated thread about the intel 8255X based ethernet cards which, although being old (but also very cheap and easy to find used online), they still works in the latest macOS releases today i tested mine with the 64 bit compiled AppleIntel8255X kext and works like a charm! stable and withou any issues with mine 100 mbit managed ethernet switch and also without suffering of problems like connection dieing under heavy load or sleep/wake issues, so just to report that i have create this dedicated thread about and also i leave the kext as an attachment, in this post, this may be usefoul to have cheap working ethernet for hackintosh machines running the latest macOS or just to reuse old hardware some one can have laying around.
      AppleIntel8255x.kext.zip
    • By ITzTravelInTime
      I have started this thread to discuss about old and very cheap ethernet cards working in the latest macOS releases, cards who just uses old ethernet controllers or are new and cheap cards with old ethernet controllers, this thread is just to discuss about such cards and also to have a list in the first post with reported working cards with drivers linked.
      To contribute you have to report which card of this kind is working for you and which driver or method you followed to get it wo work and also which issues you have, and then it will be added in the list.
      I start reporting cards which worked for me, yours will be added in the future:
      intel 8255X based cards:
                just works using the AppleIntel8255X kext (look in the attachments) and seems to be stable with no issues

And also there are some cards i am curious to see if can work with mac, so i leave this part at the end of the post, do you know if it's possible to get realtek pci (not pci express) ethernet cards working in the latest mac os? i have a few of them and i have difficulties fining drivers for mac, having a driver for the latest mac wil help me in creating also a youtube video with the cheapest hackintosh compatible ethernet cards

AppleIntel8255x.kext.zip
    • By grujicic
      First I would like to thank you guys for the great community and perfect source of the informations.

After a lot of struggle i've finally manage to turn this server mobo into great and powerful macpro rig. (smbios - MacPro 5,1)
      It runs sierra 10.12.12 with no errors but there is one strange catch.

This mobo has 7 pcie slots, but only first - bottom three actually works !? dpcimanager don't recognise any of the pcie cards inserted into other / upper 4 pcie slots. (pretty sure that bios settings are correct, and these cards works withouth any problem under windows)

I'm using dsdt (there's no way to boot macos installation or the system without one)

** quick example - kt4006 usb 3.0 card (which works oob with 10.12.12) works just fine when is inserted into 3rd pcie slot from the bottom, but doesn't work if it is inserted in any of 4 upper - marked with red - pcie ports.... Basically with this I just want to confirm that the problem is not about pcie cards and specific driver / settings related to them.. it is about slots.

Maybe a few of the initial problems i had with this mobo could be a good clue... After successful sierra installation os recognized 12 cpu threads instead of 24, and 16 gb of ECC Ram instead of 32.
      Cpu cores / threads problem is fixed by adding extra cpus in my dsdt file and ram problem by adding proper slot info via clover configurator.
      Now both memory and cpu cores works perfectly.

Supermicro X8DTH-6f http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/QPI/5500/X8DTH-6F.cfm 2x Xeon e5645 32gb ecc evga GTX 960 2gb ssc  
      Thank you!