Recommended beefy gaming/workstation laptops?

temtem

5 posts in this topic

Hello, I did some searches and couldn't find a recent thread like this, I just have a general question about what kind of laptop (brand/series/model) I should buy for optimal hackintosh attack surface in the gaming/workstation category?

I've been looking at Razer, Asus, Lenovo, even System76 (which would cost me dearly in customs fees), but I just have no idea what the general consensus is on these brands (I was completely immersed in Apple-land the last 15 years). I've read up on hackintosh a bit and I know about GPU issues, WiFi issues, etc, but this knowledge isn't enough to choose a laptop, since there are so many other variables I don't know about! I need some guidance on where to jump in.

Is it even possible to use discrete Nvidia GPUs for hackintosh?

Please advise!

I have a few games on Steam, and I have not had any problem running at 1080p

What resolution are you running at as that can make all the difference.

Hi there, I don't mind gaming under macOS. I know it's better on Windows, but I just want to be able to play my old games on macOS with better fps. Surely a GTX 1050 Ti would be better than an integrated Intel card. I'm hoping to be able to switch between GPUs during boot – Nvidia for gaming, Intel for energy efficiency. Do you know what I need to look for to find a laptop that can do this? Specific chipset, or specific card, or both? I know it's possible with the Quadro P2000, but not sure under what other conditions.

Most of the laptops I'm considering right now have GTX 10** series cards. I already know RTX series doesn't work.

Ok, I accepted the compromise of not having discrete graphics under hackOS, since UHD 630 seems to be sufficiently powerful for most of my needs, and I've settled for a Lenovo ThinkPad P52. The chipset is 'Mobile Intel CM246' which I hope is hackintoshable. I will go buy it tomorrow. Thanks for the advice!