glasgood

Glasgood's macOS Mojave [SUCCESS][GUIDE] for Aorus Z390 Pro

916 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, glasgood said:

@Hifi33

Can you also try RTCMemoryFixUp.kext and EFICheckDisabler.kext.

RTCMemoryFixUp.kext and EFICheckDisabler.kext didn't allow it to boot either unfortunately after matching your Bios settings. Also added UserKernelCache=No to no avail.

I can boot with DVMT Total Gfx Mem - Max just not DVMT Pre-Allocated - 256M

Admittedly, my board has a few odd quirks, ie. never retaining the correct time in Bios but this is likely something in a setting somewhere.  Going over the Bios screens (thank you) the only differences in your settings to mine I noticed were unrelated ie. under Peripherals - Port Configuration Information - Link Status.  Mine is listed as Disconnected.  My EFI/OS is located on an NVMe drive so I have a few extra options. Also my CPU Fan speed runs a full 1K higher (2300rpm @29C) than your Corsair AIO.

Advertisement
On 6/11/2019 at 8:09 PM, AudioGod said:

@larabee @glasgood Ive got the exact same sapphire pulse vega 56 as you do. Il fit mine and let you both know if I get the same problem. (Might be a couple of days before I do as I have a massive job to finish first)

I had the same problem with the random boot hangs in the beginning of using your efi folder but for me it was my fault as when  i redid my pci info I wrote over the hd630 gpu info and it borked my boot up but as soon as I put the correct perimeters back in it was fine. Could you.of.done the same thing by any chance?

@larabee 

I finally fitted the pulse vega56 and I'm not getting any boot hangs or strange behaviour what so ever with it.

Infact it's my windows 10 that didn't like the changes and is playing up a little bit but on macos it just plugged and played first go and is behaving how it should and the fans are pretty much silent under load for me so it cant be spinning up too full speed and is being controlled nicely by mojave. Much better then the 580 was :)

45 minutes ago, AudioGod said:

@larabee 

I finally fitted the pulse vega56 and I'm not getting any boot hangs or strange behaviour what so ever with it.

Infact it's my windows 10 that didn't like the changes and is playing up a little bit but on macos it just plugged and played first go and is behaving how it should and the fans are pretty much silent under load for me so it cant be spinning up too full speed and is being controlled nicely by mojave. Much better then the 580 was :)

Nice to hear my friend. Vega 56 runs much better on 10.14.5. It's cooler and quieter than 580. When I used it with 10.14.4. the fan spins like crazy and doesn't slow down after load. 

Can you try stress test the card on Windows then restart, boot into Mac OS. I've just made a 500 cycles test and in severals times it failed to boot and generate ATI Memory error with frame buffer. I possibly get a faulty card and need to replace mine.  

16 minutes ago, larabee said:

Nice to hear my friend. Vega 56 runs much better on 10.14.5. It's cooler and quieter than 580. When I used it with 10.14.4. the fan spins like crazy and doesn't slow down after load. 

Can you try stress test the card on Windows then restart, boot into Mac OS. I've just made a 500 cycles test and in severals times it failed to boot and generate ATI Memory error with frame buffer. I possibly get a faulty card and need to replace mine.  

As it happens I'm in the middle of stress testing in windows right now and I'm pelting the gpu and cpu with various tests as I've also overclocked the 9900k to 5ghz and I'm just making sure its playing nicely now the gpu has changed so once I'm done testing sometime tomorrow (I'm running an overnight stress test later) il boot straight into mojave and reboot a number of times then run a few stress tests in macos and do some gaming then flick back and forth from windows to macos and if that doesn't make some sort of problem then I doubt anything will....lol :)

2 minutes ago, AudioGod said:

As it happens I'm in the middle of stress testing in windows right now and I'm pelting the gpu and cpu with various tests as I've also overclocked the 9900k to 5ghz and I'm just making sure its playing nicely now the gpu has changed so once I'm done testing sometime tomorrow (I'm running an overnight stress test later) il boot straight into mojave and reboot a number of times then run a few stress tests in macos and do some gaming then flick back and forth from windows to macos and if that doesn't make some sort of problem then I doubt anything will....lol :)

Out of my 500 restart cycle test, restarting back and forth from windows to Mac OS brings the most hang boot and may cause the bios to freak out and reset itself. Again, RTCMemoryFixUp.kext will help. 

Btw, I'm running my vega 56 around 1667 Mhz @ 1100mV and 920Mhz Memory @ 900mV, very stable at that. 

Just now, larabee said:

Out of my 500 restart cycle test, restarting back and forth from windows to Mac OS brings the most hang boot and may cause the bios to freak out and reset itself. Again, RTCMemoryFixUp.kext will help. 

Btw, I'm running my vega 56 around 1667 Mhz @ 1100mV and 920Mhz Memory @ 900mV, very stable at that. 

Thanks for the settings, il give them a go after I know I'm 100% with the cpu oc and gpu tests. Awesome! :)

8 minutes ago, AudioGod said:

Thanks for the settings, il give them a go after I know I'm 100% with the cpu oc and gpu tests. Awesome! :)

Focus on the memory overclocking because a small increase in memory clock speed will translate into great performance gain. I lost 15 fps when reverting back to the default power table in Mac OS. 

9 minutes ago, larabee said:

Focus on the memory overclocking because a small increase in memory clock speed will translate into great performance gain. I lost 15 fps when reverting back to the default power table in Mac OS. 

I do all my work in mac os tbh (audio based) and game in windows but I do play rocket league in mac os and it plays awesome lol

1 minute ago, AudioGod said:

I do all my work in mac os tbh (audio based) and game in windows but I do play rocket league in mac os and it plays awesome lol

My hackintosh replace my real iMac in any work that require speed. the real iMac is now used for color proofing before submitting the final product to customers. 

I do play Total War 3 Kingdoms on my Hack though. It averages around 70 Fps on High settings. 

Thanks @glasgood for the AWESOME guide. 

Will any version/brand of the rx 580 graphics card work with this tutorial or is it only a specific one? Anyone who replies I appreciate it! 

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Hifi33 said:

RTCMemoryFixUp.kext and EFICheckDisabler.kext didn't allow it to boot either unfortunately after matching your Bios settings. Also added UserKernelCache=No to no avail.

I can boot with DVMT Total Gfx Mem - Max just not DVMT Pre-Allocated - 256M

Admittedly, my board has a few odd quirks, ie. never retaining the correct time in Bios but this is likely something in a setting somewhere.  Going over the Bios screens (thank you) the only differences in your settings to mine I noticed were unrelated ie. under Peripherals - Port Configuration Information - Link Status.  Mine is listed as Disconnected.  My EFI/OS is located on an NVMe drive so I have a few extra options. Also my CPU Fan speed runs a full 1K higher (2300rpm @29C) than your Corsair AIO.

@Hifi33

Losing time In BIOS could be an indicator that CMOS battery is almost dead. When using RTCMemoryFixup and EFIDisabler you can remove "UserKernelCache=No" boot argument.  

4 hours ago, corrie said:

Will any version/brand of the rx 580 graphics card work with this tutorial or is it only a specific one? Anyone who replies I appreciate it! 

@corrie

Don't buy XFX RX580, go with Asus, Gigabyte, Sapphire, Powercolor, MSI.

Edited by glasgood

On 6/6/2019 at 9:00 PM, glasgood said:

• Is monitor connected via HDMI ? 
  • Does this happen when you initiate sleep from Apple menu bar
  • Does this happen when you let machine automatically go to sleep ?

Hey mate.

Have confirmed that it's not sleep issues, it's the monitor not turning back on (I turned off all sleep options and used hot corners to turn off the display. screen stayed black).

13 hours ago, corrie said:

Sapphire RX580 Nitro+ 4GB version I'm using .. works well ..  Using DP port to connect to the monitor.

27 minutes ago, glasgood said:

14/06/2019

OpenCore EFI RX580 - Aorus Pro Z390 .zip

Have attached to guide, an experimental EFI ( for those who like experiment :)). The EFI uses OpenCore and is looking like it could possibly be a future replacement for Clover 

The attached OpenCore EFI is working with my Aorus Pro, as far as I know, OpenCore is still in early Alpha stage of development.

Don't ask me for support on this!

if it interests you, then approach the forum for OpenCore here at ==>> InsanleyMac  or ==> Discord

When making edits to OpenCore config.plist use xcode plist editor or PlistEdit Pro

I don't recommend OpenCore Configurator by mackie100projects as it can corrupt PCI import from Hackintool. 

DOCUMENTATION

https://github.com/acidanthera/OpenCorePkg/blob/master/Docs/Configuration.pdf

Oh my, you know I wont be able to resist....hahaha

Talk to me buddy?

What are the up sides too opencore?

Il have to do some research but i do love an experiment :) 

10 hours ago, AudioGod said:

Oh my, you know I wont be able to resist....hahaha

Talk to me buddy?

What are the up sides too opencore?

Il have to do some research but i do love an experiment :) 

PMheart mentioned "One difference is that Clover handles ACPI modifications to macOS *ONLY*, while OC applies to all OS".  Also OC is being developed by the teams behind Lilu, WhatEverGreen, AppleALC. So as far as I know, Lilu has it's own Software Development Kit and WhatEverGreen, AppleALC, AirportBrcmFixup are developed as plugins to Lilu.  In OC, Kexts used are also listed in config.plit and a requirement is that Lilu must be given top priority in the list under Kernel section in config.plist. In Clover a lot of the ACPI renames are now taken care of with the help of Lilu. OpenCore seems to be providing better optimisations vs Clover. It looks like the future replacement of Clover.  :)

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, glasgood said:

PMheart mentioned "One difference is that Clover handles ACPI modifications to macOS *ONLY*, while OC applies to all OS".  Also OC is being developed by the teams behind Lilu, WhatEverGreen, AppleALC. So as far as I know, Lilu has it's own Software Development Kit and WhatEverGreen, AppleALC, AirportBrcmFixup are developed as plugins to Lilu.  In OC, Kexts used are also listed in config.plit and a requirement is that Lilu must be given top priority in the list under Kernel section in config.plist. In Clover a lot of the ACPI renames are now taken care of with the help of Lilu. OpenCore seems to be providing better optimisations vs Clover. It looks like the future replacement of Clover.  :)

That all sounds like the ticket really. Interesting.

Do you edit the config the same way as you do with clover and would I make the same changes to use it? (Serial number, imessage info etc etc)

I'm well up for giving this a go buddy. This Guinea pig is in.....lol :)

Edited by AudioGod

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, AudioGod said:

That all sounds like the ticket really. Interesting.

Do you edit the config the same way as you do with clover and would I make the same changes to use it? (Serial number, imessage info etc etc)

I'm well up for giving this a go buddy. This Guinea pig is in.....lol :)

Best to use PlistEditPro or open with xcode to make edits. Don't use OpenCore Configurator! as it will render all string fields as data in your DeviceProperties in config.plist and result in kernel panic. You might want to change ig-platform-id etc for your CPU type. 

At the moment I'm unsure if iMessages will work, as EmuVariableUefi-64.efi cant be used as far as I know. I'm looking into this, supposedly ( i think, but not 100% sure:) ) alternative is EMUVariableRuntimeDxe. I have OC on a test drive for purpose of learning, I don't plan on switching until it is at final stage some time in future.  Hope you have fun!!! :hysterical:

147930526_Screenshot2019-06-15at09_38_36.thumb.png.3a344f6d099caba9973c20843d0c932e.png

@AudioGod

Updated OC EFI without USBInjectAll or SSDT. USB ports injection is provided through kext. 

==> EFI.zip

Edited by glasgood

23 minutes ago, glasgood said:

Best to use PlistEditPro or open with xcode to make edits. Don't use OpenCore Configurator! as it will render all string fields as data in your DeviceProperties in config.plist and result in kernel panic. You might want to change ig-platform-id etc for your CPU type. 

At the moment I'm unsure if iMessages will work, as EmuVariableUefi-64.efi cant be used as far as I know. I'm looking into this, supposedly ( i think, but not 100% sure:) ) alternative is EMUVariableRuntimeDxe. I have OC on a test drive for purpose of learning, I don't plan on switching until it is at final stage some time in future.  Hope you have fun!!! :hysterical:

147930526_Screenshot2019-06-15at09_38_36.thumb.png.3a344f6d099caba9973c20843d0c932e.png

@AudioGod

Updated OC EFI without USBInjectAll or SSDT. USB ports injection is provided through kext. 

==> EFI.zip

Il do exactly the same thing, I have a spare ssd that I use for windows stress testing, il wipe that and make a OC Test Drive to experiment. :)

15/06/2019

OpenCore Aorus Pro Z390 RX580 Experimental EFI.zip

Have attached to guide, an experimental EFI ( for those who like experiment :)). The EFI uses OpenCore  rather than Clover boot loader.

The attached OpenCore EFI is working with my Aorus Pro,  OpenCore is still in early Alpha stage of development so not recommended for main use.

OpenCore is developed by the teams behind Lilu, WhatEverGreen, AppleALC. As far as I know, Lilu has its own Software Development Kit and WhatEverGreen, AppleALC, AirportBrcmFixup are developed as plugins to Lilu. In OC, Kexts used are listed in config.plist and a requirement is that Lilu must be given top priority in the list under Kernel section in config.plist. In Clover a lot of the ACPI renames are now taken care of with the help of Lilu. OpenCore seems to be providing better optimisations vs Clover. It looks like the future replacement of Clover. 

Don't ask me for support on this!

If it interests you, then approach the forum for OpenCore here at ==>> InsanleyMac  or ==> Discord

When making edits to OpenCore config.plist use xcode plist editor or PlistEdit Pro

OR

Use ==> OpenCore-Configurator_alpha18.zip by @notiflux to make edits to config.plist 

I don't recommend OpenCore Configurator by mackie100projects as it can corrupt PCI import from Hackintool. 

DOCUMENTATION

https://github.com/acidanthera/OpenCorePkg/blob/master/Docs/Configuration.pdf

https://github.com/khronokernel/Getting-Started-With-OpenCore

On 6/9/2019 at 4:03 PM, glasgood said:

Hi, 

iMessage's and Facetime will not work, see recommended WiFi / Bluetooth combo cards in guide for working iMessage's etc.

Ah, I suspect the Samsung Evo Plus drive is causing the system freeze. As far as I know there are definitely issues with the firmware, and macOS is having issues with this. Supposedly there is a firmware update that resolves the problem. 

:)

That's good point (However I am not using the Evo Plus for Mac only for Windows10) my Hacki is on 840 Evo SSD, I have now updated to latest Firmware for my M.2 970 Evo Plus.

Will test and report after a while.

Posted (edited)

Hey,

Thank you for you guide ! It was very helpful for me. I just have an issue : I don't have a USB after sleep. The USB stick is eject when I wake my hack up.

EDIT : Only with USB sticks whatever the ports it is plugged. But with external HDD or TB3, it's working fine after sleep.

If you have any idea.

Thank you

Edited by Delecta

@glasgood, thank you so much for putting this guide together, got me up and running with a great build! I had a couple followup questions that I'm wondering if you know how to tackle or if I needed to make any modifications to the standard setup you provided:

1. I'm running an RX560 card instead of an RX580, and I'm also running it in PCI slot 2 instead of slot 1 (more on that in a second). Everything seems to be running fine though, so I'm not sure if I need to make any changes to the SSDT or clover config to account for this?

2. I'm running the RX560 in slot 2 because I'm also using an Nvidia 1070 in slot 1 for Windows. I've read you can disable the Nvidia card in macos using a custom SSDT. Have you run across how to do this or anyone else doing this on this build?

Thanks again for all your work on this!

10 hours ago, tasc said:

@glasgood, thank you so much for putting this guide together, got me up and running with a great build! I had a couple followup questions that I'm wondering if you know how to tackle or if I needed to make any modifications to the standard setup you provided:

1. I'm running an RX560 card instead of an RX580, and I'm also running it in PCI slot 2 instead of slot 1 (more on that in a second). Everything seems to be running fine though, so I'm not sure if I need to make any changes to the SSDT or clover config to account for this?

2. I'm running the RX560 in slot 2 because I'm also using an Nvidia 1070 in slot 1 for Windows. I've read you can disable the Nvidia card in macos using a custom SSDT. Have you run across how to do this or anyone else doing this on this build?

Thanks again for all your work on this!

Do yourself a favor and put the Radeon card on slot 1 for your hack to work properly. That's what I do. I'm running Vega 56 + a nv 2070 for gaming. Nothing much to change.