AMD Radeon Vii in macOS Mojave 10.14.4 beta

Gigamaxx

242 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Balamut said:

@izo1 what boot loader are you using? @fabiosun he's using OpenCore, maybe thats the issue?

I use both boot loader now I prefer OC because I like its philosophy

Oc was more tricky to setup for me I have had some problem with 2 nvme installed solved with the help of @vandroiy2012 and @gengik84

Asus sage was more tricky to setup than my previous X299 Gigabyte designer Ex mb because it has many problem with NVRAM and often I have had to clear Cmos and clear Nvram

1001 bios was a pain. 0905 is fine , also 1102 is fine
I am not using XMP or overclock and I have a perfect system (wake/sleep) 

If it could be useful check my signature for a very detailed OC guide, also you can check this link , it is an Italian forum which gave me many help and now I Ama part of its staff :)

https://www.macos86.it/viewtopic.php?f=68&p=39554#p39554

2 hours ago, izo1 said:

OC.

Also tried Clover.

I'm not the only one having issues with 1102.

Look here

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?111420-WS-X299-Sage-10G-Memory-issue-with-BIOS-1001/page2

Sorry but many infos I read there are not true (it is always possible to revert to an old bios and in my test I did many times)

also x299 WS sage 10g bios is there and it is not removed

then every system is different..in my case I have:

i9 7980 xe

128 gb ddr4

960 pro 1tb

Sabrent rocket 1 tb

850 pro samsung 512

2 Seagate 6 Tb each

2 seagate 10 tb each

also I have a Thunderbolt Ex3 card with I use for its USB

I loose much time to solve a KP with OC when I have installedd a second NVME on vertical slot of my board
with clover all was fine..which OC no

But it was an user error

:)

19 minutes ago, fabiosun said:

I use both boot loader now I prefer OC because I like its philosophy

Oc was more tricky to setup for me I have had some problem with 2 nvme installed solved with the help of @vandroiy2012 and @gengik84

Asus sage was more tricky to setup than my previous X299 Gigabyte designer Ex mb because it has many problem with NVRAM and often I have had to clear Cmos and clear Nvram

1001 bios was a pain. 0905 is fine , also 1102 is fine
I am not using XMP or overclock and I have a perfect system (wake/sleep) 

If it could be useful check my signature for a very detailed OC guide, also you can check this link , it is an Italian forum which gave me many help and now I Ama part of its staff :)

https://www.macos86.it/viewtopic.php?f=68&p=39554#p39554

OC is not that difficult, you just have to be very precise in telling it what to do for you, unlike Clover.

I also have a perfectly working OC system, there are ZERO problems with any NVMEs and that has nothing to do with OC at all. Most likely your NVMe is the culprit. OC doesn't do anything to hinder your storage or any other device, just make sure your SSDTs are in order and your config is set up properly.

I have issues with 1102 and as I said, I am not the only one. Something major has changed, most likely Intel mitigations that ASUS was forced to add.

I tried 1102, 3 times by using BIOS_FLASHBK feature, none of times worked with 4G enabled.

I reverted back to 0905 and everything was perfect as before.

I would not post such claims without checking and double checking first.

11 minutes ago, fabiosun said:

Sorry but many infos I read there are not true (it is always possible to revert to an old bios and in my test I did many times)

also x299 WS sage 10g bios is there and it is not removed

then every system is different..in my case I have:

i9 7980 xe

128 gb ddr4

960 pro 1tb

Sabrent rocket 1 tb

850 pro samsung 512

2 Seagate 6 Tb each

2 seagate 10 tb each

also I have a Thunderbolt Ex3 card with I use for its USB

I loose much time to solve a KP with OC when I have installedd a second NVME on vertical slot of my board
with clover all was fine..which OC no

But it was an user error

:)

Performance issue is true, them not knowing that Flashback USB had to be FAT32 MBR is another story.

Check my signature, I also have a GC-Titan Ridge, no problems.

OC takes time to set up, so take your time with it and read the documentations, even though they are hard to understand. It is worth the headaches.

26 minutes ago, izo1 said:

OC is not that difficult, you just have to be very precise in telling it what to do for you, unlike Clover.

I also have a perfectly working OC system, there are ZERO problems with any NVMEs and that has nothing to do with OC at all. Most likely your NVMe is the culprit. OC doesn't do anything to hinder your storage or any other device, just make sure your SSDTs are in order and your config is set up properly.

I have issues with 1102 and as I said, I am not the only one. Something major has changed, most likely Intel mitigations that ASUS was forced to add.

I tried 1102, 3 times by using BIOS_FLASHBK feature, none of times worked with 4G enabled.

I reverted back to 0905 and everything was perfect as before.

I would not post such claims without checking and double checking first.

Performance issue is true, them not knowing that Flashback USB had to be FAT32 MBR is another story.

Check my signature, I also have a GC-Titan Ridge, no problems.

OC takes time to set up, so take your time with it and read the documentations, even though they are hard to understand. It is worth the headaches.

Maybe you misunderstood me

Now I have no problem with OC

Previous problemm was a my fault .

If your system is working well with 0905 use it..and it if you did all you can to have a working system with 1102..some time Asus will produce another release ;)

I know you did all test on your system and I think you have the skill to solve problem when happen

but If some people has some problem on ROG forum is not the true for all

and in my case 1102 is good as 0905, this with both boot loader 

today Asus released some new x299 firmware (Asus WS x299 Sage) version 1201 (improve system performance :) )

For Asus 10G no at this time..will see ok 1201 is out also for Sage 10G

Edited by Guest

On 8/19/2019 at 2:17 AM, fabiosun said:

Maybe you misunderstood me

Now I have no problem with OC

Previous problemm was a my fault .

If your system is working well with 0905 use it..and it if you did all you can to have a working system with 1102..some time Asus will produce another release ;)

I know you did all test on your system and I think you have the skill to solve problem when happen

but If some people has some problem on ROG forum is not the true for all

and in my case 1102 is good as 0905, this with both boot loader 

That's fine, enjoy using 1102.

It doesn't necessarily mean you're right and I'm wrong.

I sit in front of a computer at least 18 hours a day, 6 days a week. For 20+ years.

I think I know what I'm talking about.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone has stressed the card under OSX to know the temps? 

I mean in a big render, exporting or sth like that.

I know we only can get a temp from the junction or something  and not from the cores. I want to stay sure wich is the limit.

In Davinci Resolve, using nodes, noise reductions, exporting 4k for an hour HW info say 104/110 degrees Celsius. Never a problem, but... better ask to the community.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I attempted to use iStat menus (mac app store version) + the modified FakeSMCRadeonVII posted earlier in this thread.
With this FakeSMC in /l/e (and repaired/rebuilt) or in clover/k/other couldn't get any temperature info for the Radeon VII, no GPU entries at all in istat menus>Cpu and GPU. Were there any specific instructions to get the at working?

Currently on imac18,3 and will shortly switch to imacpro1,1 imac19,1 (No sidecar on imacpro1,1 which is a T2 smbios) shortly if that is important. Z370/8700k/RVII/mojave. 

I went back to VirtualSMCfor now, as that is what I have been using previously and it gives me GPU temperature items to add in istat menu, but no data arrives at those items. a dash " - ℃ " is displayed.
I'd like to be able to keep an eye on temperatures in general, and implement the power play stuff from Chris ( I have a phantek shift with poor airflow).

EDIT: Have switched to 19,1 now.

Edited by arpaterson

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi everybody,

i try to get my Imac27" 2013 running in combination with an eGPU (radeon Vii / Razer Core x on TB2 port) and also have a blackscreen-issue under Mojave 10.14.6 as well as after updating to catalina which shoud be nativly supported. With the help of purge-wrangler i got the card running and the GPU-activity-monitor shows that it is performing while playback on the internal screen.

Under bootcamp the external monitor works fine but under mojave/catalina there is no video signal coming out of same HDMI port. The kext editing won`t help because the ID is already listed under Vega20.

Any chance for helpful tips ??

• 1 month later...