Jump to content
Gigamaxx

AMD Radeon Vii in macOS Mojave 10.14.4 beta

251 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

@Chanks 1st: Have you even read my post? Of course your scores are different from mine, I guess you don't know how to overclock the card on macOS. And even if your scores are low: so what?! It doesn't matter! It's just a Geekbench thing, nothing real-life related. No other benchmarks cofirm any slowdowns nor does rendering or gaming performance.

 

@ITzTravelInTime All 2019 iMacs feature IGPUs and use them for video acceleration. The claim some models use Intel processors without IGPUs is false. The following chips are used: I3-8100, I5-8500, I7-8700, I5-8500, I5-8600, I5-9600K, I9-9900K. Correct choice for all Hackintoshes with Polaris, Vega and Radeon VII cards as of 10.14.5 is IGPU disabled + iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS.

 

Edited by CMMChris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advertisement
3 hours ago, CMMChris said:

@Chanks 1st: Have you even read my post? Of course your scores are different from mine, I guess you don't know how to overclock the card on macOS. And even if your scores are low: so what?! It doesn't matter! It's just a Geekbench thing, nothing real-life related. No other benchmarks cofirm any slowdowns nor does rendering or gaming performance.

 

@ITzTravelInTime All 2019 iMacs feature IGPUs and use them for video acceleration. The claim some models use Intel processors without IGPUs is false. The following chips are used: I3-8100, I5-8500, I7-8700, I5-8500, I5-8600, I5-9600K, I9-9900K. Correct choice for all Hackintoshes with Polaris, Vega and Radeon VII cards as of 10.14.5 is IGPU disabled + iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS.

 

Yes, I‘ve read your post:) And its clearly  Geekbench dosn‘t matter, but the interesting part is, my score decreases after update, while your score seems to be increased. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Picasso said:

 

19,2 or 18,3?

Grzie mile

the rx 580 + i9 imac basically, which should be the imac 19.2, i didn,t knew quite well the specific name of it, but try it

7 hours ago, CMMChris said:

@Chanks 1st: Have you even read my post? Of course your scores are different from mine, I guess you don't know how to overclock the card on macOS. And even if your scores are low: so what?! It doesn't matter! It's just a Geekbench thing, nothing real-life related. No other benchmarks cofirm any slowdowns nor does rendering or gaming performance.

 

@ITzTravelInTime All 2019 iMacs feature IGPUs and use them for video acceleration. The claim some models use Intel processors without IGPUs is false. The following chips are used: I3-8100, I5-8500, I7-8700, I5-8500, I5-8600, I5-9600K, I9-9900K. Correct choice for all Hackintoshes with Polaris, Vega and Radeon VII cards as of 10.14.5 is IGPU disabled + iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS.

 

 

i know that the 19.2 features the version of the SKU without then igpu (like the i9 9900kf), so that's why i think it's a good try at least for polaris users, for vega and radeon vii users i think you are right, but there are still issues for the moment

Edited by ITzTravelInTime

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/17/2019 at 7:39 PM, CMMChris said:

iMacPro1,1 + disabled IGPU is the proper way to go with any Vega 56 / 65 / Radeon VII.

I tried your recommendation and everything works fine. FCPX and DaVinci works perfect.

The only thing I see is a software VideoProc H264 ¨unavailable¨. A lilu/weg setting to fix this? thx

373913609_ScreenShot2019-05-20at02_38_24.thumb.png.e1aa8c3a573f0f0aa18d34cb1d82109e.png

Edited by Picasso

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Chanks  - you have right -"Correct choice for all Hackintoshes with Polaris, Vega and Radeon VII cards as of 10.14.5 is IGPU disabled + iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS."

Edited by corint1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@ITzTravelInTime No, this iMac uses the 9900K with IGPU. The SMBIOS is totally optimized for IGPU rendering which is a shame because IGPU is slower than RX580 encoders. Thus for Hackintoshes it is the best to turn IGPU off and use iMacPro1,1 for best performance. Otherwise encoding will be done by IGPU.

 

@Picasso Something is wrong with your configuration then. Otherwise it would work. Please make sure you have renamed your ACPI devices properly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, CMMChris said:

@ITzTravelInTime No, this iMac uses the 9900K with IGPU. The SMBIOS is totally optimized for IGPU rendering which is a shame because IGPU is slower than RX580 encoders. Thus for Hackintoshes it is the best to turn IGPU off and use iMacPro1,1 for best performance. Otherwise encoding will be done by IGPU.

 

@Picasso Something is wrong with your configuration then. Otherwise it would work. Please make sure you have renamed your ACPI devices properly.

You mean:

GFX0 to IGPU

HDAS to HDEF

HECI to IMEI

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, CMMChris said:

PEGP to GFX0 is important as well

Hmm I turned off GFX to IGPU and PEGP to GFX0 for the SMBIOS 1,1 build. But the published wisdom is that with WEG it's not necessary. I turned them off for my 18,3 test and QiuckSync was enabled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@PPC If you use Whatevergreen they are indeed not necessary but you don't need Whatevergreen for your Radeon VII.

 

@foskvs They are not useless but necessary to get hardware acceleration for video on AMD cards.

 

In general I prefer to add all graphics renames (HECI / MEI to IMEI, GFX0 to IGPU and PEGP to GFX0 in exactly this order) regardless if IGPU is active or not. Doesn't hurt and makes things a little easier if for whatever reason I have to enable IGPU one day. In addition, I already did see boards where GFX0 isn't removed from DSDT if IGPU is disabled. This could potentially cause issues if you only rename PEGP to GFX0 since you then have two GFX0 devices.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whatevergreen

v1.2.9

  • Added AMD Radeon VII to detected list
  • Disabled automatic framebuffer usage on Polaris GPUs
  • Added preserve-names device property to preserve current GPU names
  • Added AppleVPA patching support, replaces NoVPAJpeg.kext (thx CMMChris and uglyJoe)
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, CMMChris said:

@PPC If you use Whatevergreen they are indeed not necessary but you don't need Whatevergreen for your Radeon VII.

Hmm, I did remove WEG and would not boot. Had to flip to iGPU in BIOS, put WEG back and reboot into PCIe1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Something is wrong with your config then. I am running the VII without WEG and so do a lot of other people. Feel free to provide me with your Clover folder through PM and I will have a look.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, CMMChris said:

Something is wrong with your config then. I am running the VII without WEG and so do a lot of other people. Feel free to provide me with your Clover folder through PM and I will have a look.

 

I have black screen and a vga resolution before logon , if dont use WEG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

catalina ( 10.15) ---- metal some improvements ---opencl same like 14.6 beta ....

Edited by corint1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, I just installed Catalina, primarily to see if the Radeon VII issues would improve, but I don't see any big changes. Kernel version is:  19A471t

 

Audio still scratchy on HDMI/DP to Monitor (dammit...)

 

Didn't have a hard time installing it; Clover 4940, New Lilu, AppleALC, VirtualSMC and Whatevergreen, and two patches, one by PMHeart and these boot parameters:  -lilubetaall -alcbeta -agdpmod=pikera

No issues for me with Wifi, BT, 10GbE card, VPN, HWmonitor, pretty much everything works.

I really like the split out of itunes - now it's strictly music, and the podcaster app does podcasts (seems pretty good) and then there's AppleTV, which I don't have, so can't test that....

 

As for the Radeon VII, with those boot patches, things seem almost identical to the 10.14.6 beta.  Similar performance, same problem (scratchy audio), at least for me.

Edited by meaganmargaret

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, meaganmargaret said:

 

As for the Radeon VII, with those boot patches, things seem almost identical to the 10.14.6 beta.  Similar performance, same problem (scratchy audio), at least for me.


some improvements on metal test ... over 180 k in geekbench

Edited by corint1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/4/2019 at 2:20 PM, corint1 said:


some improvements on metal test ... over 180 k in geekbench

 

Lately I've been getting this with 10.14.6 Beta 1 (hopefully next beta is around the corner).


I touched 180k once but didn't take a screenshot.

 

I am just curious as to why the "maximum frequency" says 350Mhz, even in LuxMark it shows the same thing. This didn't happen with Vega FE I had before. Is it the macOS AMD driver reporting it this way or what?

 

Screen Shot 2019-06-07 at 2.18.34 AM.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With 10.14.6 18G48f Beta 2, the following still have not been fixed.

 

1) Purple lines during the load bar

2) Scratchy DisplayPort Audio

 

Otherwise it's pretty stable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, izo1 said:

With 10.14.6 18G48f Beta 2, the following still have not been fixed.

 

1) Purple lines during the load bar

 

 

Otherwise it's pretty stable.

It falls into almost all category AMD Graphics cards 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, I've installed Beta 2 of 10.14.6 and I'm really wondering what was the point of this release?   I see no significant change, in anything.  Has anyone seen any real change?   How about enhanced functionality of some sort?  My Radeon VII card is almost identical in terms of its performance and it's problems.   

 

I'm not just talking about the VII card.  Overall, what is different?  I don't see much of anything....

Edited by meaganmargaret

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×