SDCARD/PCI-E is not detected in Clover?

sandokan71

11 posts in this topic

I have installed Mojave on a Thinkpad T480, it's working great but I would like to boot from my sdcard (128GB) which is based on PCI-E (not USB!).

Unfortunately, T480 UEFI does not allow to select pci-e as a bootable device, however I'm thinking to do as follows:

1) Boot Clover from USB

2) In Clover select the partition from sdcard to boot mojave

I confirm that same sdcard (which contains mojave) is perfecty bootable via Clover from an usb adapter.

However, looks like Clover is not able to detect the partition inside the sdcard slot (pci-e).   Do you think this is possible in some way?

Clover version is v4784 and I am using following drivers in  drivers64UEFI  folder:

ApfsDriverLoader-64.efi
AppleImageLoader-64.efi
AptioInputFix-64.efi
AptioMemoryFix-64.efi
FSInject-64.efi
HFSPlus-64.efi
NvmExpressDxe-64.efi
VirtualSmc-64.efi

Note that I have added NvmExpressDxe-64.efi but it didn't make any difference.. :cry:

Anyone has resolved this?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hervé said:

If the PC BIOS does not support/offer to boot from the SD card (and, by far and large, they don't), it's impossible. Why? Because, without a specific on-board controller, you need to load a driver to enable/access the card reader...

Look at PCIe SATA controllers: they only offer to boot from connected disks because the controller ROM/BIOS activates upon power on and enables the feature.

You can boot from USB simply because that's supported in BIOS.

Yes, that's why I wanted to boot with a 2-stage process, boot clover via USB and then load Mojave from sdcard by using a proper efi driver.

As far as I understand, NvmExpressDxe-64.efi  was supposed to boot from a PCI-E device, am I wrong?

• Like 1

We have no driver for PCIe SD-card. It is probably possible, just to write 1000 lines of codes based on known opensource solutions. But I think there are simpler ways to get a result.

12 hours ago, Slice said:

We have no driver for PCIe SD-card. It is probably possible, just to write 1000 lines of codes based on known opensource solutions. But I think there are simpler ways to get a result.

OK thank you all for confirming that.  I just wanted to avoid an usb adapter which takes up space (and consumes 1 USB of two..), while the sdcard can be inserted inside the laptop and it's basically invisible although still removable... :wink_anim:

Edited by sandokan71
  • Like 1

On 1/29/2019 at 10:40 AM, Slice said:

Plain C language.

I really don't think "plain C language" is enough to develop a device driver. You also need some experience in device driver development, and more deep knowledge of Mac device driver design. Also, this is probably very different from how you write a device driver for Windows. Not sure about Linux and other UNIXes. One would also need a lot of time to learn and try.  Just for my personal curiosity, do you know of some opensource project for a Mac device driver which can be used as model to develop another driver? (efi driver for booting..)

EFI driver is not Mac driver.

EDK2 sources contains drivers for mostly all devices and they are opened.

For example https://github.com/tianocore/edk2/tree/master/EmbeddedPkg/Universal/MmcDxe looks like an SD driver but it is for ARM devices. You just have to compare with VoodooSDHC sources that can be found on our forum and write the driver working as VoodooSDHC and looking as MmcDxe.

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...