[GUIDE] Lenovo ThinkPad L440 (20AS) - Mojave 10.14.6

ludufre

50 posts in this topic

Installing macOS Mojave on Lenovo ThinkPad L440

image.thumb.png.642df899eb5ecbca6796dab2042f230d.png

New Catalina Installation Guide: 

There are two version of this laptop:

- 20AS = Chipset QM87, without Express Card (mine).

- 20AT = Chipset HM86, with Express Card.

I strong believe is the same thing...

Changelog:

10/20/2019 20:00h GMT-0

- Added info about update 10.14.16.

- Added link do Catalina guide. 

07/30/2019 14:56h GMT-0

- Fixed typo in credits. Thanks @"Sniki"

06/09/2019 14:16h GMT-0

- Added missing parts in the post-install step. 

06/04/2019 17:19h GMT-0

- Updated Clover link. 

06/02/2019 18:08h GMT-0

- Added info about update 10.14.5. 

03/13/2019 13:15h GMT-0

- Updated info about touchpad replacement and CPU and 4G LTE modem.

02/05/2019 18:47h GMT-0

- Updated info about CPU replacement and 4G LTE modem.

02/04/2019 15:24h GMT-0

- Sometimes the VoodooHDA.kext doesn't work.

- Added AppleHDADisabler.kext to fix that (attached bellow).

01/24/2019 14:42h GMT-0

- Added more adjustments to use of VoodooHDA.

- Updated VoodooHDA links to 2.9.1 official (without installer).

- Changed PCM volume from 90 to 180 in Info.plist (attached modified VoodooHDA.kext bellow)

- Updated SSDT-L440.aml (Removed HDEF and HDAU, not needed).

- Updated config.plist (Changed to user Audio layout to 1).

01/22/2019 20:47h GMT-0

- I gave up on the AppleALC.

- Headset does not work.

- Now with VoodooHDA is perfect and the sound even louder.

01/22/2019 14:37h GMT-0

- Added info about update 10.14.3. 

01/22/2019 13:46h GMT-0

- Added link to BIOS reassing guide.

01/20/2019 11:49h GMT-0

- First version.

What works and what does not

- Processor: Intel Core i5-4300M -> Tick.png Work. All SpeedStep stages.
- Video Card: Intel HD4600 -> Tick.png Work. QE/CI and Metal.
- Chipset: Intel QM87 -> Tick.png Work.
- Mini DisplayPort -> Tick.png Work. But no audio, yet.

- VGA -> Cross.png Not work. Normal.

- Audio: ALC292 -> Tick.png Work.

- WiFi/Bluetooth: Intel AC 7260 -> Cross.png Not work. Replaced with DW1560 (need whitelist removal).

- Ethernet: Intel I217-LM -> Tick.png Work.

- Card Reader: Realtek RTS5227 -> Cross.png Not work.

- Keyboard and Touchpad -> Tick.png Work.
- Webcam -> Tick.png Work.

- Fingerprint Reader -> Cross.png Not work. Normal.

- USB3.0 -> Tick.png Work.
- Sleep -> Tick.png Work.

- Airdrop, Handoff, Instant Hotspot and Continuity -> Tick.png Work after replaced wireless.

Extras

- FullHD 1920x1080 display upgrade: 

Replaced with AU Optronics B140HAN01.1 30pin eDP (B140HAN01.2 and B140HAN01.3 also compatible).

Apparently same screen as Dell Latitude E6440, E7440, Lenovo Ideapad U430 and E129.

- CPU upgrade:

Replaced the stock Intel Core i5 4300M 2.6Ghz (3.3Ghz turbo) 6M cache with Intel Core i7 4700MQ 2.4Ghz (3.4Ghz turbo) 6MB.

I initially had problems with overheating. The processor ran at full load above 90 degrees.

After using a quality thermal paste I can work between 70 and 80 degrees.

Acceptable taking into consideration that the new processor has 47TDP versus 37TDP which is recommended.

I also had no problem consuming the battery while charging. The original 65W source seems to have figured out.

- Touchpad upgrade:

Replaced the stock with T460 touchpad.

This is serious: you have to do it! It should be stock. Touchpad with precision and absurd quality!

Just do it!

- RAM upgrade:

No mistery here. Just upgade.

Todo

- Make DP audio work.

- Make Card Reader work.

- Upgrade CPU to i7-4712MQ (Ordered. It's on the way) Done, but received i7-4700MQ (47w TDP, with good paste I have no overheating)

- Replace touchpad with T460 model (Ordered. It's on the way) Done. Sensitivity and perception of quality much better. I recommend 100%!

- Sierra Gobi5000 4G LTE modem EM7355 (Ordered. It's on the way. I hope works. ^_^) Done, but not work. Recognize but not connect. I already gave up...

- Upgrade to 16GB RAM Done

- Make trackpad appear in System Preferences

What you need to install

- Running install of macOS
- One USB flash drive of 8GB or bigger
- macOS Mojave install app
- Clover EFI

- Clover Configurator

- Some KEXTs and SSDT patches

How create create the install flash drive

Prepare install flash drive

Format the flash drive with GUID partition mapping and name it "Install".

- Open Disk Utility.
- Click in View, then "Show All Devices".
- Select the destination flash drive, then Erase.
- Name: Install, Format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and Scheme: GUID Partition Map

Create install flash drive

Open terminal and run this command:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Mojave.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Install --nointeraction

This will take about 30 minutes.

image.png.dbfbb044438583c128d2b973252bc02e.png

Install bootloader

Download the CloverEFI from SourceForge (used 4934) and install with this options on "Install macOS Mojave":

- Install for UEFI booting only
- Install Clover in the ESP
- UEFI Drivers - ApfsDriverLoader-64
- UEFI Drivers - AptioMemoryFix-64

image.png.41c5e42019a1984eb6ebee88be38e892.pngimage.png.544e088b0b3db5021e4f69cc1802e7b0.png

Make things works

Will be created a partition named EFI and mounted in Desktop.

- Replace the /Volumes/EFI/CLOVER/config.plist with mine attached below

If you have modded BIOS with Advanced Menu and enabled 128MB DRAM-prealloc use 128MB_DRAM-prealloc_config.plist.zip

If no, then use 32MB_DRAM-prealloc_config.plist.zip

- Put SSDT-L440.aml attached below in /Volumes/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/

Generate your Serial, MLB and SmUUID

- Open the replaced config.plist with Clover Configurator (used 5.3.2.0)

- Go to SMBIOS, click few times in "Generate New" in Serial Number and SmUUID.

Download those Kexts and put in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/

- Download the HWSensors 3 from here. I used the FakeSMC.kext, ACPIMonitor.kext and IntelCPUMonitor.kext inside of DMG version r196.

- Download the VoodooPS2Controller.kext from here. I used version 2018-1008.

Download the IntelMausiEthernet.kext from here. I used the version 2018-1031.

Download the Lilu.kext from here. I used the version 1.3.6.

Download the VoodooHDA from here. I used the version 2.9.1 and patched the sound volume (attached below).

Download the WhateverGreen.kext from here. I used the version 1.2.9.

Download the AppleBacklightFixup.kext from here. I used the version 2018-1013.

Download the USBInjectAll.kext from here. I used the version 2018-1108.

Download the ACPIBatteryManager.kext from here. I used the version 2018-1005.

- Download the VirtualSMC.kext from here. I used version 1.0.2. Replaced with FakeSMC of the HWSensors 3 r196 package.

Download the FakeSMC.kext from here. I used the version 2018-0915. Replaced with VirtualSMC.kext due 10.14.4 issues on update.

Download the AppleALC.kext from here. I used the version 1.3.4. Replaced with VoodooHDA.kext due mic not working.

Wifi and Bluetooth (DW1560 / BCM94352Z)

Unfortunately, some notebook manufacturers are currently blocking the replacement of wireless cards. They want you to only use the models sold by them. And of course, none of them from Lenovo for this notebook model is compatible with MacOS.

If you try to start with an unauthorized wifi card for them, you will receive a screen error:

1802: Unauthorized network card is plugged in - Power off and remove the network card.

Since this check is done directly in the BIOS, the only solution is to modify it.

But since nothing is easy in this life, there is one small big problem:

- The BIOS update procedure does not allow you to use modded files as it used to be.

- You will need to physically reach your BIOS on the motherboard and make use of a USB BIOS reader/writer.

So what you need to do:

1. Disassembly your laptop;
2. Dump your BIOS with an USB BIOS reader with SOIC8 clip (to not desolder from the motherboard);
3. Patch it (In addition to removing the whitelist, add the advanced menu);
4. Fix RSA signature;
5. Reflash BIOS;

6. Replace wireless card;

7. Remount your laptop;
8. Done.

Soon, I'll provide step by step in this process. Probably until end of this week.

In the meantime, if you need to, send me your dump that I do steps 3 and 4 for you.

I also add the Advanced Menu so you can increase to 128MB the DRAM-prealloc.

To fix a Modded BIOS to remove the 5 beeps on boot, you need this guide: https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/337333-guide-fix-insyde-h2o-bios-signature-5-beeps-on-lenovo (traduzido: pt-BR)

After replaced the wireless card. Download those Kexts and put in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/

Download the AirportBrcmFixup.kext from here. I used the version 2.0.0.

Download the BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext and BrcmPatchRAM2.kext from here. I used the version 2018-0505.

Download the BT4LEContinuityFixup.kext from here. I used the version 1.1.2.

Now you can start the instalation without problem (I guess).

How install

UEFI Setup Configuration and Installation

UEFI configuration

My BIOS is the latest: 1.93 (J4ET93WW) 

- Shutdown and insert the flash drive.
- Power on with F1 pressed to enter BIOS setup.
- Change value: Config - Intel(R) AMT - Intel(R) AMT Control to DISABLED

- Change value: Security - Security Chip to DISABLED

- Change value: Security - Anti-Theft - Intel(R) AT Module Activation to DISABLED

- Change value: Security - Anti-Theft - Computrace to DISABLED

- Change value: Security - Secure Boot to DISABLED

- Change value: Startup - UEFI/Legacy Boot to BOTH, Legacy First and CSM Support = Yes

- Save & Exit Setup (F10)

- Now, hold the F12

- In the list, select your flash drive.

The installer will start. 

Format destination disk

Format the disk with GUID partition mapping and name it "Macintosh".

- Select Disk Utility in the list, then press Continue.
- Click in View, then "Show All Devices".
- Select the destination Disk, then Erase.
- Name: HD, Format: APFS and Scheme: GUID Partition Map

Close Disk Utility.

Select "Install macOS", then Continue.
Follow instructions in screen.

After install

After first part install the system will reboot. Maybe you have to press F12 again and select the flash drive.

The second part of the installation will begin. This will take 16 minutes.

Post installation

Install bootloader

When the second part of install finish, the system will reboot again.

After performing the user initial setup and go to the desktop, you need to install Clover on internal disk.

Open the Clover installer inside flash drive that you copied before.

Use same options above but choose the system partition this time.

Now you need to replace the EFI folder inside your destination disk EFI parittion, with EFI folder inside flash card EFI partition.

If the flash drive EFI partition of your destination disk or flash drive is unmounted:

Mount with terminal "sudo diskutil mount /dev/rdiskXs1". To know what X is, use "diskutil list", most likely is 0 for destination disk and 1 for flash drive.

Then, eject the flash drive.

Last step

Move all Kexts from EFI partition to /Library/Extensions, with those commands in Terminal:

sudo mv -R /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/* /Library/Extensions/
sudo chmod -R 755 /Library/Extensions
sudo chown -R root:wheel /Library/Extensions
sudo kextcache -i /

Restart the system.

It's done!

Updates

System update 10.14.3

- Updated with success;

- Everything works perfectly after reboot;

image.png.c531b357abf70e4ee78a2a43ea4aa96c.png

System update 10.14.4

- Updated Clover to 4910.

- Updated Lilu.kext to 1.3.5 and WhateverGreen to 1.2.7.

- After first reboot the update progress stoped with:

GTrace synchronization point 4
Unsupported CPU
Unsupported PCH
hmm.. mismatch sizes: 3100 vs 20

It was still possible to start the previous installation, selecting "Macintosh" as opposed to "macOS Install" in Clover.

So I created a flash drive with Clover 4910 and put only my config.xml, SSDT-L440.aml, the updated Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext. And I decided to test VirtualSMC instead of FakeSMC.kext.

With this I was able to install update 10.14.4. After installation I can boot normally, even with FakeSMC.kext that already in /Library/Extensions.

I do not know what exactly happened, but now works everything like was previously.

image.png.0869dc2443995cf40221dbde4492783c.png

System update 10.14.5

- Updated Clover to 4934.

- Updated Lilu.kext to 1.3.6 and WhateverGreen to 1.2.9.

- After first reboot the update progress stoped again (like 10.14.4 update) with:

GTrace synchronization point 4
Unsupported CPU
Unsupported PCH
hmm.. mismatch sizes: 3100 vs 20

It was still possible to start the previous installation, selecting "Macintosh" as opposed to "macOS Install" in Clover.

I decided to rollback to FakeSMC.kext but this time with the version of HWSensors 3. Link above.

With this I was able to install update 10.14.5. After installation I can boot normally.

image.png.f159f35d1423ddd3f847a17ec7667575.png

System update 10.14.6

- Updated Clover to 5097.

- Updated Lilu.kext to 1.3.8 and WhateverGreen to 1.3.3.

- Make system update.

And last but not least

I would like to thank the following community members, by making these dream possible:
@crushers, @snatch, @apianti, @blackosx, @blusseau, @dmazar, @slice2009, @autumnrain, @phpdev32, @EMlyDinEsH, @RehabMan, @Scellow, @mitch_de, @Shailua, @Andy Vandijck, @maxfierke, @ArturXXX, @LexHimself, @brumas, @"Sniki" and all others members involved directly or indirectly.

Attachments

32MB_DRAM-prealloc_config.plist.zip

128MB_DRAM-prealloc_config.plist.zip

SSDT-L440.aml

VoodooHDA.kext.zip

AppleHDADisabler.kext.zip

Edited by ludufre
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, RandomTech said:

Excellent guide, I'm planning to get Lenovo X1 Carbon and sure this guide will make things easier.

Cool. 

As incredible as it seems the most difficult for me was not even to make the mod in the BIOS, was to configure the Frame Buffer for the miniDP port to work. It cost me a week! I even gave up and returned to the High Sierra,

but finally decided to try one last time and I did it.

If you need help on the mod to release whitelist in the BIOS give me a hello.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ludufre said:

Cool. 

As incredible as it seems the most difficult for me was not even to make the mod in the BIOS, was to configure the Frame Buffer for the miniDP port to work. It cost me a week! I even gave up and returned to the High Sierra,

but finally decided to try one last time and I did it.

If you need help on the mod to release whitelist in the BIOS give me a hello.

I will, thank you for the offer.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, tonton91 said:

Hey Thanks man for this awesome guide/config. installed it on my Lenovo L540 and it works pretty finde. ^_^

Nice! The L540 and L440 use the same motherboard I think (the BIOS I'm sure are the same).

Just now, ludufre said:

Nice! The L540 and L440 use the same motherboard I think (the BIOS I'm sure are the same).

@Lenovo Bios Update Website there is the same exe for l440 and l540, you are right i think. Only problems i got:

- Laggy touchpad (got the oem pad but swapped the 460 touchpad kext and it worked fine)

- when accessing webpages with video or streamingcontent the system is slowing down (i think it is the crappy mediathek driver with ralink usb dongle)

- sometimes it boots only at 3rd attempt (next time ill read the bootlog)

28 minutes ago, tonton91 said:

@Lenovo Bios Update Website there is the same exe for l440 and l540, you are right i think. Only problems i got:

- Laggy touchpad (got the oem pad but swapped the 460 touchpad kext and it worked fine)

- when accessing webpages with video or streamingcontent the system is slowing down (i think it is the crappy mediathek driver with ralink usb dongle)

- sometimes it boots only at 3rd attempt (next time ill read the bootlog)

- Laggy touchpad: You're right, I still have original (my T460 has not arrived yet) and I can confirm. Had not realized yet why use with keyboard and mouse connected on a second monitor at work.

- System slowing down: You sure the Speed Step is working? Why usb dongle? Why do not you replace a wireless card?

- Sometimes it boots at 3rd attempt: Do this, see at boot what's happening next. But if it's kernel panic it will not appear in the log, right?

22 minutes ago, ludufre said:

- Laggy touchpad: You're right, I still have original (my T460 has not arrived yet) and I can confirm. Had not realized yet why use with keyboard and mouse connected on a second monitor at work.

- System slowing down: You sure the Speed Step is working? Why usb dongle? Why do not you replace a wireless card?

- Sometimes it boots at 3rd attempt: Do this, see at boot what's happening next. But if it's kernel panic it will not appear in the log, right?

To the slowdown:

- Speedstep is working, Intel Power gadget shows the CPU clocking from 0.8 up to 3.1 Ghz (i5 4300m)

- when playing youtube videos the cpu clocks to 3.1ghz and 100% load for ~ 30sec-1min then it normalizes, when changing the video, windowsize or go to fullscreen its the same issue.

- plugged in an ethernetconnection and got the same problem, maybe its a faulty codec?

Wifi dongle:

- ordered a clip and a programmer, gonna flash the bios soon. (any recommends for a wificard-model?)

Boot at 3rd attempt:

- with enabling verbose it crashed not everytime and doesnt need 3 attempts (only one up to now)

- yes this are panics, i can send you 2 logs,efi and a bootlog

Abou the slowdown, I'm pretty sure you are not using WhateverGreen.kext, right? Try installing it. If you already have, run kextstat to see if is loaded.

You can order a DW1560, It's works very nice and have Continuity, AirDrop and Handoff. Only Instant Hotpot that sometimes don't work.

Send me the logs about the panics

1 minute ago, ludufre said:

Abou the slowdown, I'm pretty sure you are not using WhateverGreen.kext, right? Try installing it. If you already have, run kextstat to see if is loaded.

You can order a DW1560, It's works very nice and have Continuity, AirDrop and Handoff. Only Instant Hotpot that sometimes don't work.

Send me the logs about the panics

Thanks for the advice for the Card, ill order one once I successfully flashed my bios.

Whatevergreen is loaded with v1.2.6 (newest from repo)

ill prepare the pm sec

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, eldiego said:

Hi friend, thanks for this guide, all work flawless except de laggy touchpad

True, I was able to confirm this on Feb. 6 (post)

It turned out that I did not even try to fix it because I ordered a new touchpad of the model T460.

@ludufre, I followed your guide to create a USB Installer but when I boot using the installer, I don't see an option to start the macOS installation. It only shows the Windows EFI partition of the hard drive that has Windows installed. Any idea on how to fix this?

Also, I'm missing this option in BIOS:

Config - Intel(R) AMT - Intel(R) AMT Control 

EDIT: If anyone else has this issue, the fix was to put HFSPlus.efi file in the UEFIDriver64 folder. This made the installer show up in Clover.

Edited by CyCLoBoT

3 minutes ago, CyCLoBoT said:

@ludufre, I followed your guide to create a USB Installer but when I boot using the installer, I don't see an option to start the macOS installation. It only shows the Windows EFI partition of the hard drive that has Windows installed. Any idea on how to fix this?

In the Clover you need to install EFI driver called VBoxHfs-64

On 3/23/2019 at 7:36 AM, CyCLoBoT said:

So the installation was completed successfully. One question, in Preferences, when I open Trackpad, it does not show any settings. How do I fix that?

I can confirm that. Does not even appear ... I need to analyze about.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello

I Used This Guide Too Everything Is Fine Laggy Touchpad fixed Replacing VoodooPs2 from the one used on the thinkpad x220 which i have before and works just fine but the real problem is that Siri Dont Work No internal microphone works only one i connect with my headphones a handsfree only that way i have microphone using the voodoohda on this guide. i have used mojave patcher to install 10.14.4 on Hfs and works fine . i . used clover files . and i did a custom install at first i was using hackintosh mojave zone from niresh to install but not using any kext from niresh img just the macOS install then i installed on Hfs+ but cant upgrade from 10.14.1 so i installed on apfs and was too slow but finally found a torrent with install mojave app ver 10.14.4 and i used mojave patcher to create the usb and i installed on hfs+ this way using Clover Files And Kexts from here thank so much for this guide . please update more , and about Siri Any Way To Fix It ?

13 hours ago, CyCLoBoT said:

@ludufre, did you have any luck in figuring out how to get Trackpad preferences to show? I tried using different VoodooPS2 kexts but no luck.

No, because I use USB mouse. And since I'm using this hackintosh on a day-to-day basis at work, I could not stop trying to fix it.

13 hours ago, javashin1986 said:

not really dont work siri dont show any mic on system preferences all i get from siri is sorry 

Untitledsir2.png

Untitledsiri.png

Show me your Audio/Sound section in System Preferences.

The first screenshot shows the meter of input level because i was talking to the laptop with my handsfree 

the second one is without handsfree i was screaming and the levels dont move a bit and in google chrome when i do a facbook video call i have no mic.

i tried to use appleACL and dont work for me i just installed the kext and nothing no sound im back to voodoohda

this repo maybe be useful https://github.com/Snikii/Lenovo-ThinkPad-L440 but i dont know how to use this ....