42 posts in this topic

Copying this over from the other major forum as things seem pretty dead over there. Didn't see a dedicated "builds" forum here so hope this is the right spot. People on other social media recommended coming here. 

Alright, so the build has commenced, just waiting on the power supply (ended up not realizing that I bought the compatible power brick for the HDPlex 400w and then bought the PicoPsu 160, so that is going back and HDPlex is on its way) and monitor to get here.

Found a smoking deal on an Acer-K272HUL-Dbmidpx 27" IPS display through Newegg ($216 shipped to my door) that has gotten great reviews, be careful when looking for this as the EBmidpx (different model) looks the exact same but is a TN Panel and comes up in many of the searches.

Anyways, here is specs for final build...

- Mobo - ASRock Z370m-itx/ac [$120 amazon]

- RAM - Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 8gb [$49 amazon]

- WiFi/BT - Lenovo Broadcom BCM94352Z [$13 ebay]

- SSD - Samsung EVO860 1tb [$128 amazon]

- CPU - Intel Core i5 8400 [$185 newegg]

- Cooler - Noctua L9i [$40 amazon]

- Case - Wesena ITX4 v3 [$97 perfect home theater]

- PSU - HDPlex 400w [$95 hdplex]

- PSU Brick - Dell PA-9E 240w [$37 ebay]

- Monitor - Acer K272HUL 27" IPS [$216 newegg]

Total: $883 (shipping included in prices, most were free shipping)

This build will be mainly for your everyday computing needs, paying bills, watching YouTube videos and the occasional light photo editing session (have other expensive hobbies now so photography has fallen to the wayside). This is coming from a mid-2011 iMac 21.5" base model that is slowly dying (getting graphical artifacts on a constant basis now and the occasional sudden reboot). The iMac is no longer compatible with any new Mac OS upgrades (no Mojave) so I figured she had a good life over the last 8yrs and it was time to pick-up something new. Since I was fairly unimpressed with the specs for the money with regards to the new Mac Mini's I figured this would be a good chance for me to do a hackintosh.

Install will be a Vanilla High Sierra build, since that is the only version I have access to on my iMac. From my research I have downloaded the following kexts for install.

- Broadcom Fix (both the firmware repo and firmware patch)

- IntelMausiEthernet

- WhateverGreen

- Lilu

I am using the two following builds on the other forum as my baseline as they are very similar builds to mine.

Suneys Mini Cube from the other forum and the Tiny But Might build from the same forum. 

With that said, I plan to use Morgonaut's guide from YouTube to build the hackintosh up (hopefully next weekend). Once everything is running stable in High Sierra I will hopefully be able to update to Mojave without any major issues and then keep moving forward with life. So, am I forgetting anything?

Edited by mizznfizz
adding tags

Advertisement

Please see my signature for rules. Posting links to that forum isn’t a good idea.

As for your build, looks good but you will also need FakeSMC.kext or VirtualSMC.kext. This is a must have kext.

What audio codec does it have?

Lilu + AppleALC for audio plus the appropriate layout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks @savageAUS I removed the links. It is ok to link to YouTube videos? I did see the reference you were talking about but understood it differently.

I will definitely download the FakeSMC as that is the one the referenced builds use.

As for the Audio codec, it uses the RealTEK ALC892. Which one would I need for that.. Here is link to spec sheet for the board

since you have an imac.

1.carbon copy the hard disk to USB drive

2. install clover to backup disk

3. install kexts, edit config.plist

4. applealc.kexts with lilu will do your sound

5. boot your hack on the PC

6. find tune kexts and config.plist/smbios

your hack is ready, with all your data and apps

6 hours ago, millusions said:

since you have an imac.

1.carbon copy the hard disk to USB drive

2. install clover to backup disk

3. install kexts, edit config.plist

4. applealc.kexts with lilu will do your sound

5. boot your hack on the PC

6. find tune kexts and config.plist/smbios

your hack is ready, with all your data and apps

Thanks for the info but I have no way to CC the drive as I don't have a connector or external enclosure that will allow that. Plus this thing has been upgraded so many times I would rather to a clean and fresh install. Can I get all the apps and whatnot, no settings, from doing a timemachine backup or will that be just as difficult?

organise a usb drive, you will save yourself a lot of time in the long run.

when you do a hack it helps a lot to have a carbon copy.

i cant comment on time machine, i've never used it

19 hours ago, millusions said:

organise a usb drive, you will save yourself a lot of time in the long run.

when you do a hack it helps a lot to have a carbon copy.

i cant comment on time machine, i've never used it

Yeah that is what I am trying to do and be a little proactive however I am not quite understanding where some of these files go. From the stuff that I have read most talk about putting .kext files in the "other" folder within clover. Then there are those that talk about manually putting the file in the L/E/ folder. For instance, RehabMans FakeSMC file does not have a .kext file that I can seem to find on his github repository. Pretty sure that I need to do a bit more reading on this to understand where to put these particular files. 

Looks like from the one of those other builds this should be all I need to get everything functioning....

RehabMan's FakeSMC kexts
IntelMausiEthernet for Ethernet
Lilu.kext + AppleALC + CodecCommander for sound
USBInjectAll + XHCI-200 series injector in /L/E to get USB to work on initial boot
Rehabman's FakePCIID + FakePCIID_Broadcom_Wifi kexts
RehabMan's Broadcom Kexts (BcrmFirmwareRepo, BcrmPatchRAM2)

RehabMans github is the project page. You either need the butbucket link in the descriptions to download them or build them from master.
I prefer VirtualSMC.kext though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the help guys... @millusions Yeah have always loved Noctua stuff, and damn is that thing big. Could barely fit the ram stick in that slot as it's heatsink was rubbing against the heatsink. So threw it into the other slot and hoping that there will be no issues with that. If I ever decide to add another 8gb stick I may be screwed.

@savageaus any particular reason you like the virtualsmc.kext over the FakeSMC?

yea. i have same problem with Noctua cooler. can only fit in  2 x 8GB the other 2 would have to be low profile..

dude. trust me on this.. this is how i do all my hacks.

use a USB dock on your imac.

install Mac OSX on imac, update it, install all software you want, little snitch, total finder, spend some time.

then install clover.

install kexts

edit config.plist

then transfer it to your hack

it saves a lot of fking about

@millusionsSo you are saying purchase one of those external adapters and go through the install process for that drive on my iMac as though I were replacing that drive. Then once done installing as a "true iMac" go through the process of using clover, installing kexts, etc? Basically, dual booting with the soon-to-be hackintosh drive as though it were an actual mac drive?!Remember I am currently running a mid-2011 iMac base model that is no longer able to upgrade/update to Mojave. This is my first foray into the world of hackintosh's so still a little new to stuff like this, though I have built plenty of windows machines in the past. 

And if I am reading what you are saying correctly, it basically bypasses the need for all the kexts and other changes to be able to do the initial install. Is that correct?

Edited by mizznfizz

yea.

i find it a lot easier to do it like that.

the mojave thing could be a deal breaker, you decide :)

2 minutes ago, millusions said:

yea.

i find it a lot easier to do it like that.

the mojave thing could be a deal breaker, you decide :)

Meh... mojave ain't that big a deal for me. I could technically run down to the wife's salon and download the installer for Mojave from there. But was also going to see about using one of my time machine backups for the install (just do documents, etc., not settings from the backup) but I still need to do some research on that. 

Discrete gfx card recommendation (AMD only please)

Other thing that I wanted to add was that I may end up adding a discrete graphics card down the road (really really liking what I am seeing from the previous of Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen). Since I am in a mini-itx case (wesena ITX4 v3) I can take a low profile graphics card but the thing is that it really needs to be fairly thin, can't be much bigger than the single-slot size. Originally I was looking at grabbing something like a Radeon Pro WX2100/3100 but was wondering if you guys had any other recommendations. If/When Pantheon comes out that would pretty much be the only game that would be played on the machine. 

nah. forget time machine if it's documents/apps.

network them, copy over network.

as for discrete graphics. well, all i can say that i tried gaming on High Sierra, really would prefer to game on OSx, the windows interface is just so pathetic and annoying, but in the end gave up.

sure Diablo III runs very smooth, but that will run smooth on anything.  Basically my GTX 980Ti works like a 780 ti at best on Mac OSX in games, gaming graphics in windows are not just slightly better it's like night and day.

17 minutes ago, millusions said:

nah. forget time machine if it's documents/apps.

network them, copy over network.

as for discrete graphics. well, all i can say that i tried gaming on High Sierra, really would prefer to game on OSx, the windows interface is just so pathetic and annoying, but in the end gave up.

sure Diablo III runs very smooth, but that will run smooth on anything.  Basically my GTX 980Ti works like a 780 ti at best on Mac OSX in games, gaming graphics in windows are not just slightly better it's like night and day.

LOL... probably should have clarified at that point the system will then be given an m.2 SSD drive for a dedicated windows install that would be strictly used for gaming... no bootcamp garbage as I never had luck with that or VMfusion, etc.... More than likely when Pantheon comes out it will not be dual system compatible. 

5 minutes ago, millusions said:

ah ok.

why Radeon Pro? it looks {censored}house

64 bit?

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-pro-wx-2100.c2979

No mainly because of size concerns. I will take a pic tonight that will better explain. Can fit pretty much a full length card in the case but needs to be "low profile" and fairly narrow. Most everything I see on the Nvidia side of things ends up being considered "single-slot" only because it doesn't have an a fan intake/exhaust that takes up the second port. Would rather put something like and RX460/560 in there but most I can find are too wide (back of pcb to front of fan). 

Here is what I am talking about with the GPU...

The 1cm (10mm) mark is about dead middle of the PCI-E slot.. So I have about 23mm from the middle of the PCI-E slot to end of case and really that is not accurate as the way the top attaches to the full case there is about a 10mm block that is on the inside. 

32871056398_5c50c6b9e8_z.jpg

Then this came in the mail tonight..!

32871633198_dbfd081c49_z.jpg

46022228714_e4a2363402_z.jpg

sorry. no mini itx experience here.

but i think there's a few mini itx graphics cards around the place.

there's a guy here with a 1050ti https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/wesena-itx4-v3-hackintosh.1603/

but i reckon its the wrong type, need blower type that blows air out the back.

just saying. the one you picked looks like {censored} specwise

Yup that build was actually the one that turned me on to the Wesena case. Found out that Wesena is the US name for Streacom cases. I may have to change out to a large room case down the road if I do decide to do some gaming just so that I can actually handle a semi decent card. Only other slim profile ones I have found were older Radeon series cards like the HD 7k or HD 8k. There are apparently some R7 hard that are like that but they become harder to find with the newer gen cards. 

has to be single slot yea?

are you sure about this? about the 1cm thingo?

most of the bulk on graphics cards goes to one side, one side flat.

gtx katana 1070 is single slot blower. there's a few mini itx graphics cards but they look like double slot.

look here: https://pcpartpicker.com/builds/by_part/7HYWGX