Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cbabb

PCE-AC88

4 posts in this topic

First, I realise the PCE-AC68 (BCM4360) is supported. Don't want to spend the money on it when I have been given a PCE-AC88 (BCM4366). That said, I have managed to get the card detected with FakePCIID and it shows up in IOReg. That wasn't very difficult. So now I am trying to figure out how to get it to load BCM4360 driver. I am still relatively new at this (started in August) and learning. I did find this thread https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/asus-pce-ac88.213464/ which mentions spoofing. Which is basically what I have started. Just like how other cards are spoofed. Not sure what I'm missing. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

https://imgur.com/lDGyVeC

Advertisement
Posted (edited)

That spoofing could be done through Clover configuration, say using the device faking facility of the Clover Configurator's device tab. But I don't know what the associated wireless device is expected to be called; possibly ARPT, in which case you would have to rename your own ACPI/IOReg device RP08.PXSX to RP08.ARPT. This might be possible through the renaming facility of Clover Configurator's ACPI tab.

The easiest would probably to simply edit your DSDT where you would rename device PXSX under RP08 to ARPT and use a _DSM method to declare compatibility with Broadcom's BCM4360 chipset (14e4,43a0). See here for DSDT examples.

This being said, knowing that BCM4366 is a different chipset, it's highly unlikely to work and I really expect that card to remain totally unsupported...

If you don't want to spend reasonable money on a card such as the AC66 or AC68, why not opt for a mini-PCIe/M.2 to PCIe (x1) adapter in which you can fit a cheap compatible laptop's mini-PCIe/M.2 card? These adaptors cost around $10/10€.

adaptor1.jpg.dd80a2286c09ddb4a8bc5702ef347f24.jpg adaptor2.png.6a1ffa8f7f75efe6c4a91afb171fcd43.png

adaptor3.png.a861d082c76d4dbaf23cfd53a5e78ed8.png adaptor4.jpg.ddabf5ae555e2546e6a03bb1d7e65fca.jpg

Good experimentation though!

Edited by Hervé

1 hour ago, Hervé said:

why not opt for a mini-PCIe/M.2 to PCIe (x1) adapter

I don't have any laptop cards that will work. Two unused laptops both have Intel AC3160. A supported card is about $30 + tax. Add the adapter and it's nearly $50 total. Trying to not spend money. 

Anyway, thanks for the reply. I did get it renamed to ARPT instead of PXSX. Still shows as original device ID of 43c3. I read over the DSDT guide and I have no idea what to put for <your device here>. I feel like I'm in over my head as all of this gets confusing fast. I guess I'll just stick with ethernet.

Cheers

Clearly, in your case, the device would be PXSX, found under device RP08. That's where you'd inject the _DSM method. But, again, I don't think that'll be of any help, the card beign totally unsupported imo. If you had already renamed it ARPT, you may opt for the Clover id injection as explained above.

Then, there's always the alternative of a (cheap) USB wireless adaptor.