valueimagery

Is a New DSDT required after a BIOS update?

9 posts in this topic

Hey Everybody,

I was hoping that the recently released BIOS update for the ASUS Maximus X Code (version 1801) would resolve my two remaining issues of sleep/ USB 3.1 drives ejecting from the ASMEDIA controller.

I have a seperate thread here describing the problem in detail:

https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/337048-almost-successful-asus-maximus-x-code-i7-8700k-amd-rx-580/

As of yet it the update hasn't resolved the issue.  But could someone clarify if a new DSDT.aml file is needed once upgrading a motherboard's BIOS?

I am currently using the one from this thread:

I've already created a working SSDT file for my 15 USB ports, this is more in relation to the ASMEDIA 3.1 ports and sleep not working.

Cheers,

Shark

Edited by valueimagery

Advertisement
4 hours ago, valueimagery said:

But could someone clarify if a new DSDT.aml file is needed once upgrading a motherboard's BIOS?

I remember that Mald0n (the king of DSDT) mentioned in one of his articles, (new BIOS update needs new DSDT).

That being said, another Hackintosh God guy (I don't want to mention his name) said, that DSDT is only cosmetic and not needed at all as Clover has those necessary on fly DSDT patches which can be set in the DSDT section of config.plist.

requesting a patched DSDT for my builds at once was very important to me till I saw it causes me issues like;

1. Every new mobo BIOS update needed a new patched DSDT, otherwise it ran unstable.

2. I don't have the control over my Hackintosh if Apple changes something which always happens and I couldn't make changes on my patched DSDT so my systems ran unstable again.

3. Limiting me to change/add new hardware like WIFI card/another SSD or any other PCIe hardware which technically (imo) needed to be included in the DSDT as well.

Cheers,

Rob

To me, there's no straight Yes/No answer per sé; it simply depends on what changes may have been brought out in the BIOS and its ACPI tables.

I'll give you 2 x examples:

1. I was able to run various OS X/macOS versions on my Dell Latitude E6440 with a DSDT I had patched off an early BIOS version, even after several BIOS upgrades. I found no need to re-patch raw DSDT tables of later BIOS versions.
  2. I also run OS X/macOS on a Latitude E6230. I used a pre-patched DSDT that was available on forums and it was stated all over the place that, on that laptop, BIOS could not be upgraded beyond version A12 otherwise graphics just got all garbled on screen. I found that re-patching the DSDT of the latest BIOS version A19 cured that issue. Clearly the patched DSDT that was publicly available came from an given BIOS version that was no longer suitable beyond BIOS A12.

As RandomTech stated, Clover will help a lot through its on-the-fly facility. However, sometimes, Clover cannot patch everything and you still have to call on a patched DSDT. Imo, it really is a case-by-case basis but Mald0n's recommendation is good common sense.

Edited by Hervé

12 hours ago, RandomTech said:

1. Every new mobo BIOS update needed a new patched DSDT, otherwise it ran unstable.

2. I don't have the control over my Hackintosh if Apple changes something which always happens and I couldn't make changes on my patched DSDT so my systems ran unstable again.

3. Limiting me to change/add new hardware like WIFI card/another SSD or any other PCIe hardware which technically (imo) needed to be included in the DSDT as well.

Thanks for sharing.  Interesting way of seeing of both sides.

I can see the benefit of not having to implement a DSDT if Clover is able to fix it all on the fly.  The only benefit I've been able to see at the moment is the PCIE device showing in System Hardware Profiler.  It still hasn't resolved my remaining two issues.

Maybe I'll try removing this current DSDT patch and see if anything happens now with the BIOS since it has been updated and ASUS described this update did address a USB issue.

I guess my remaining question is, if I'm still experiencing issues with Sleep and USB devices ejecting on the Gen 2 ASMEDIA controller, is there another way to fix this problem without a DSDT patch?

Cheers,

Shark

13 hours ago, valueimagery said:

I guess my remaining question is, if I'm still experiencing issues with Sleep and USB devices ejecting on the Gen 2 ASMEDIA controller, is there another way to fix this problem without a DSDT patch?

This is Mald0n answer once I asked that in last Nov ''is a common problem in many cases, eject after sleep, now the error is back, apple change again''

Then I added USB power EC to my USB ssdt me thinking it'll solve the issue but it still didn't work.

So I still hope there is gonna be a solution for that because I'm facing the same problem too.

13 hours ago, valueimagery said:

Thanks for sharing.

Welcome Sir :)

Sharing ideas/thoughts is what makes our community more interesting and helpful to me too.

Okay so I can successfully say I have figured out the culprit for the wake from sleep!

After updating the BIOS to version 1801 and having no difference with or without the Patched DSDT I decided it was time to unplug every USB device in the Intel Chipset and see what happens.

With the DSDT patch removed, and all USB devices/hubs unplugged, the computer still immediately woke form sleep.

After disabling the preference "Allow Bluetooth Devices to wake this computer" the computer stayed asleep!

Not a deal breaker, but any idea why this would happen?  My SSDT-UIAC.aml does have the correct connection type (255) for the bluetooth controller.  At the end of the day I can live with pushing power to wake my computer, but is this normal for most Hackintoshes?

Then I tested each Device/Port by port one by one.  And found that one USB 3.0 to SATA adapter for SSD's/2.5" HDD's was another culprit.  Whenever a drive was plugged into this, the computer woke from sleep immediately.  Which I'm guessing can explain the wake reason I was constantly getting in my sleep log:

localhost kernel[0]: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: XHC

21 hours ago, RandomTech said:

This is Mald0n answer once I asked that in last Nov ''is a common problem in many cases, eject after sleep, now the error is back, apple change again''

On 12/31/2018 at 11:20 PM, Hervé said:

As RandomTech stated, Clover will help a lot through its on-the-fly facility. However, sometimes, Clover cannot patch everything and you still have to call on a patched DSDT.

However, the BIOS update did not resolve the issue of the ASMEDIA Gen 2 Ports ejecting devices after sleep.

I'm using Jettison to temporarily resolve the issue and safely eject those external drives.

But How would one create a patched DSDT for the ASMEDIA Controller?

9 hours ago, Hervé said:

Is this ASMedia controller integrated to the motherboard or an add-on card?

Please post your extracted BIOS tables.

Thanks Herve,

It is integrated into the motherboard.

I've attached the run me app zip.

Appreciate you looking into it.

Ioreg Reads for the ASMEDIA 3.1 controller as:

The 3.1 controllers for the back USB gen 2 ports are controlled by:
RP05@1C,4/IOPP/PXSX@0/PXSX@01000000
PRT1@01100000 (type C) (3.1 speeds)
PRT2@01200000 (type A) (3.1 speeds)
PRT3@01300000 (type C) (2.0 speeds)
PRT4@01400000 (type A) (2.0 speeds)

The 1 x 3.1 type C port on the front panel is controlled by:
RP07@1C,6/IOPP/PXSX@0/PXSX@01000000
HS01@00300000 (2.0 speed)
SS01@00100000 (3.1 Speed) 

There is also a SS02@0010000 under this controller, and as far as I can tell it does not have a function.

Send me Values-iMac.zip

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By cixque
      CLOVER.zipCLOVER.zipDell Venue 11 Pro 7140
      ------------
      Specification

Intel Core M 5Y71

Intel HD Graphics 5300

Intel Broadwell-U motherboard

8GB Ram

256GB SSD

Dell DW1850e WWAN + GNSS GPS

Intel Wireless 7265 + Intel Bluetooth

NFC

…..

Mojave 10.14.6

What works
      Native Power Manager (Generate Plugin type) Full Graphics with QE/CL Brightness (Add PNLF in Config.plist or DSDT Patch) — (Brightness slide bar) Touch Screen, and Pen (DSDT Patch + Voodoo I2C, I2CHID satellite KEXT) HDMI output with hot plug (Lilu + WhateverGreen) HDMI Audio with hot plug (Lilu + AppleALC) no Layout-id needed Front and Rear Cameras MicroSD slot - O2 Micro (I use Adding Arbitrary under Devices in Config file Method) Ref, Post #6 by Jake Jo https://osxlatitude.com/forums/topic/7346-applesdxc-driverdsdt-patch-for-o2-micro-sd-card-readers/ Battery Indicator (ACPIbattery by Rehabman) ——>To utilise both battery, SSDT (by Rehabman) is needed in order to combine 2 batteries as one.
      Travel Keyboard Dell K12a001 (USBinjectall KEXT) Native Keyboard keys (Brightness, volume keys) WWAN card Dell DW1850e (OOB) Bluetooth -------------------

What doesn’t work

Sleep Wake — I have no idea how to fix it as it is required DSDT patch I guess. GPS NFC Audio ---> Realtek I2S Audio (PG0.35 for DELL)

In DSDT entries is HDAUDIO\\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0282&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_1000\ Which indicates ALC282

Audio ALC3263 (As it shown in BIOS) - Broadwell rt286 - Card1/Codec#0 (Utilised in I2S Mode) there is nowhere in BIOS to change to HDA mode). Drop OEM HDA and Fix HDA don’t do anything, still show 3 HDMI Audio outputs. If there is a DSDT patch to force HDA Audio mode, Please do enlighten me.
      As a result Internal Speaker, Internal Mic, and Headphone Jack doesn’t work.

Touchpad on Travel Keyboard Dell K12a001 (Should work with DSDT Patch with pin configuration) I have no idea how. Obviously, Intel Wireless 7265 AC. For experimental purpose. https://github.com/daliansky/XiaoMi-Pro-Hackintosh/issues/330 — Knock yourself out. I managed to get it work for awhile but the real problem is kernel panic so I gave up. Ordering compatible card instead. ------------------

Config.plist got it from Rehabman laptop config.

BIOS version A20

Enable:

- Legacy Boot Rom

Disable:

- Secure Boot

- TPM 2.0

- Vt-d

------------

SMBIOS - I use MacBook8,1. —- MacBookAir7,1-7,2 (Min Freq is at 1.2 GHz) MacBookPro12,1 Min Freq is at 800 Mhz and it is the default this cpu should be. Again, there is a way to set it right somewhere in this forum.

------------

-->> DSDT Windows 8 patch

System sees only one I2C Controller which control Touch Screen.
      Touch Screen registers as Magic Trackpad 2.
      Pen as Mouse

-->> DSDT Windows 8.1 Patch

System sees two I2C Controllers which control Touch Screen and Accelerometer.
      Touch Screen registers as Magic Trackpad 2.
      Pen as Mouse

OOO>>> With Windows 8.1 patch which it should run with this one because it can see more of HID devices and controllers.

Problem is Accelerometer (SHUB).
      Device can automatically rotate screen as it should be BUT it flips the screen wildly even with slightly movement. It stops only when device stays completely still. Eventually it breaks internal screen graphic. It becomes grabble. I restored internal screen graphic by connecting it to external monitor and set rotation of external screen to 0 degree. Then it is back to normal. (I guess it conflict with rotation setting) I disable SHUB in DSDT.

---------------------

During Installation process Full Graphic acceleration can be activated straight away by Lilu and Whatevergreen. AppStore, iMessage and, FaceTime activate by NullEthernet and SSDT by Rehabman USBInjectAll needed for keyboard and other usb peripherals. Use other tool to keep certain ports active as Rehabman mention this KEXT is not good for a long run. Please do Correct me if I did something worng. Or any suggestions to make this thing runs better.
      CLOVER.zip
      IOReg_SysReport.zip
    • By kushwavez
      A really good motherboard with macOS compatible bult-in Wifi & Bluetooth

ASUS Z170-Deluxe (with Wifi)
      BIOS: v3801
      CPU: i7-6700K 4.0 to 4.2 GHz (w/o OC)
      RAM: 1x 16 GB Corsair DDR4 2400 MHz
      GPU: Intel HD 530 (Headless) & ASUS Radeon RX 5700 OC 8 GB
      Audio: ALC 1150
      Ethernet: I219V2, I211-AT
      WiFi & Bluetooth: Broadcom BCM94360HMB Half-Mini-PCI-E
      More Specs: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z170-DELUXE/specifications/

Catalina 10.15.4 - Windows 10
      What is working:
      BCM94360HMB Wifi and Bluetooth AirDrop, Handoff, FaceTime, Messages, App Store, iCloud, etc. Intel HD 530 (QE/CI tested, but now I'm using it in headless) Sleep RX 5700 (QE/CI with 2 1080p monitors connected) Sound USB Ports Two Ethernet ports macOS with a light OC (4.12 GHz - 4.5 Ghz, XMP, ASUS optimal) No problem so far ASUS HyperKit with a KINGSTON NVMe SSD - 250 GB  
      What is not working:
      -  

Not tested:
      VideoProc says that Hardware Decoding\Encoding is fully supported and enabled on both HD 530 and RX 5700 but I didn't test it Thunderbolt (no equipment)  
      Issues:
      None  
      BIOS Settings:
      Boot\CSM (Compatibility Support Module): Launch CSM: Disabled Boot\Secure Boot: OS type: Other OS Secure Boot State: Disabled Advanced\System agent (sa) Configuration: VT-d: Enabled Graphics Configuration: Primary Display: Auto iGPU Multi-monitor: Enabled RC6(Render Standby): Enabled DVMT Pre-Allocated: 128M Advanced\PCH Storage Configuration: SATA Mode Selection: AHCI HyperKit: Enable (if you have NVMe SSD with ASUS HyperKit) Advanced\CPU Configuration: Intel Virtualization Technology: Enabled CPU- Power Management Control: Intel SpeedStep: Enabled CPU- C-States: Enabled Intel SpeedShift: Enabled  
      Getting ready for installation:
      Download the bootpack (Clover v5107): Click here -> asus-z170_clover_5107.zip  
      Installation:
      Create an installer with any method you know (- Mac: createinstallmedia - Windows: Transmac, Vmware, Win32diskimager) Copy my Clover folder to the USB's EFI folder Boot with the Installer USB If you have any problem (kp or freeze) boot with config_debug.plist to see what causes the issue  
      Post Installation:
      Download Clover Configurator and generate a new Serial Number for yourself  
      Some pictures:

Catalina & Windows 10 Dual-Boot (clean install, on one drive):
       Boot into your Mac installer, Create 2 partitions in GUID table (1 for Win (I used FAT32 but I think it doesn't matter what you choose), 1 for Mac)
       Install Mac, boot with your USB, mount your EFI partition (use terminal or an EFI mounter app), create an EFI folder (if there is no folder), copy the CLOVER folder I attached to the EFI folder, restart
      Boot into your Win installer, Format the partition you created for Win, install. 
      Now, it's automatically booting into Windows. To use Clover open cmd in administrator, type: 
      bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\CLOVER\CLOVERX64.efi  
      You're done! It will booting into Clover when you start the system, and you can select Win or Mac (or another OS if installed on a 3rd partition).

IF YOU GETTING ERRORS DURING WINDOWS INSTALLATION (could not be formatted, etc):
      Make sure you have GPT partitions, and GPT (UEFI) installer, also disconnect all external storage drives (except the installer USB)  
      Mounting EFI from Windows:
      Open cmd in administrator mode and type: mountvol b: /s (This will mount your EFI) Open Total Commander or Explorer++ in administrator mode to manage EFI mountvol b: /d (This will unmount your EFI)  
      Notes:

2020.03.26: Updated to 10.15.4 -> Updated WhateverGreen, Lilu -> Updated Clover to v5107
      2020.03.23: Removed "EmuVariableUefi.efi" -> deleted, caused false nvram map, now it's native, updated Clover to v5106
      2020.02.11: Updated to 10.15.3 -> No problem when/after installing
      2020.01.19: Added ASUS HyperKit NVMe SSD to the "What is working" list
      2020.01.12: Tested system with OC, added more informations to BIOS settings
      2020.01.11: Added SmallTreeIntel82576.kext for 2nd Ethernet, Tested Ethernet ports
      2020.01.11: First upload

• By innerd
      Salve, ho da poco aggiornato il bios del notebook in firma alla versione 304, ma dopo averlo fatto non sono piu riuscito a farlo avviare.
      Ho cancellato il dsdt e gli ssdt (eccetto quello delle porte usb e pnlf, il resto ho utilizzato ssdttime con il nuovo dump).
      Credo che si blocchi nel momento in cui dovrebbe apparire la mela (con verbose) e quindi all'inizializzazione della igpu. Avendo il dubbio fosse un problema di framebuffer diverso (volevo anche creare una fake imei ma non ho trovato nessuna guida al riguardo) ho cancellato le vecchie proprietà nel config e provato manualmente tutti i valori mobile con igfxframe come flag, 2 volte sono stato fortunato con 0x1612002 ma senza riuscire a farlo partire piu di quelle poche volte. Con un framebuffer mobile e in safe mode riesco ad entrare ma in nessun altro modo, avete consigli?
      CLOVER.rar
    • By midi-sama
      After a long time of cooking this computer up with a lot of stuff, I'm finally releasing my guide for this P50 with OpenCore.

Lenovo ThinkPad P50 macOS Install with OpenCore

This thread may be used for questions/corrections/additions. Good Luck.
    • By Simon's InsaneMac
      Hi, I'm kind of lost when scrolling to Clover Configurator, so I decided to use an EFI from the web and just configure the most basic stuff. But that sadly didn't work, im always getting the attached screen IMG_0054.HEIC (and I don't know whether all the errors are listed, as I can't scroll). 
      Anyways I thought it'd be better to do a custom setup. Can anyone give me some help with what to choose in the settings? Here's my rig:
      i7 8700k
      Asus z370-G (Rog Strix)
      gtx 1060 6gb
      samsung ssd (SATA)
      WD hard drive

Your help would be much appreciated!