valueimagery

Is a New DSDT required after a BIOS update?

9 posts in this topic

Hey Everybody,

I was hoping that the recently released BIOS update for the ASUS Maximus X Code (version 1801) would resolve my two remaining issues of sleep/ USB 3.1 drives ejecting from the ASMEDIA controller.

I have a seperate thread here describing the problem in detail:

https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/337048-almost-successful-asus-maximus-x-code-i7-8700k-amd-rx-580/

As of yet it the update hasn't resolved the issue.  But could someone clarify if a new DSDT.aml file is needed once upgrading a motherboard's BIOS?

I am currently using the one from this thread:

I've already created a working SSDT file for my 15 USB ports, this is more in relation to the ASMEDIA 3.1 ports and sleep not working.

Cheers,

Shark

Edited by valueimagery

Advertisement
4 hours ago, valueimagery said:

But could someone clarify if a new DSDT.aml file is needed once upgrading a motherboard's BIOS?

I remember that Mald0n (the king of DSDT) mentioned in one of his articles, (new BIOS update needs new DSDT).

That being said, another Hackintosh God guy (I don't want to mention his name) said, that DSDT is only cosmetic and not needed at all as Clover has those necessary on fly DSDT patches which can be set in the DSDT section of config.plist.

requesting a patched DSDT for my builds at once was very important to me till I saw it causes me issues like;

1. Every new mobo BIOS update needed a new patched DSDT, otherwise it ran unstable.

2. I don't have the control over my Hackintosh if Apple changes something which always happens and I couldn't make changes on my patched DSDT so my systems ran unstable again.

3. Limiting me to change/add new hardware like WIFI card/another SSD or any other PCIe hardware which technically (imo) needed to be included in the DSDT as well.

Cheers,

Rob

To me, there's no straight Yes/No answer per sé; it simply depends on what changes may have been brought out in the BIOS and its ACPI tables.

I'll give you 2 x examples:

1. I was able to run various OS X/macOS versions on my Dell Latitude E6440 with a DSDT I had patched off an early BIOS version, even after several BIOS upgrades. I found no need to re-patch raw DSDT tables of later BIOS versions.
  2. I also run OS X/macOS on a Latitude E6230. I used a pre-patched DSDT that was available on forums and it was stated all over the place that, on that laptop, BIOS could not be upgraded beyond version A12 otherwise graphics just got all garbled on screen. I found that re-patching the DSDT of the latest BIOS version A19 cured that issue. Clearly the patched DSDT that was publicly available came from an given BIOS version that was no longer suitable beyond BIOS A12.

As RandomTech stated, Clover will help a lot through its on-the-fly facility. However, sometimes, Clover cannot patch everything and you still have to call on a patched DSDT. Imo, it really is a case-by-case basis but Mald0n's recommendation is good common sense.

Edited by Hervé

12 hours ago, RandomTech said:

1. Every new mobo BIOS update needed a new patched DSDT, otherwise it ran unstable.

2. I don't have the control over my Hackintosh if Apple changes something which always happens and I couldn't make changes on my patched DSDT so my systems ran unstable again.

3. Limiting me to change/add new hardware like WIFI card/another SSD or any other PCIe hardware which technically (imo) needed to be included in the DSDT as well.

Thanks for sharing.  Interesting way of seeing of both sides.

I can see the benefit of not having to implement a DSDT if Clover is able to fix it all on the fly.  The only benefit I've been able to see at the moment is the PCIE device showing in System Hardware Profiler.  It still hasn't resolved my remaining two issues.

Maybe I'll try removing this current DSDT patch and see if anything happens now with the BIOS since it has been updated and ASUS described this update did address a USB issue.

I guess my remaining question is, if I'm still experiencing issues with Sleep and USB devices ejecting on the Gen 2 ASMEDIA controller, is there another way to fix this problem without a DSDT patch?

Cheers,

Shark

13 hours ago, valueimagery said:

I guess my remaining question is, if I'm still experiencing issues with Sleep and USB devices ejecting on the Gen 2 ASMEDIA controller, is there another way to fix this problem without a DSDT patch?

This is Mald0n answer once I asked that in last Nov ''is a common problem in many cases, eject after sleep, now the error is back, apple change again''

Then I added USB power EC to my USB ssdt me thinking it'll solve the issue but it still didn't work.

So I still hope there is gonna be a solution for that because I'm facing the same problem too.

13 hours ago, valueimagery said:

Thanks for sharing.

Welcome Sir :)

Sharing ideas/thoughts is what makes our community more interesting and helpful to me too.

Okay so I can successfully say I have figured out the culprit for the wake from sleep!

After updating the BIOS to version 1801 and having no difference with or without the Patched DSDT I decided it was time to unplug every USB device in the Intel Chipset and see what happens.

With the DSDT patch removed, and all USB devices/hubs unplugged, the computer still immediately woke form sleep.

After disabling the preference "Allow Bluetooth Devices to wake this computer" the computer stayed asleep!

Not a deal breaker, but any idea why this would happen?  My SSDT-UIAC.aml does have the correct connection type (255) for the bluetooth controller.  At the end of the day I can live with pushing power to wake my computer, but is this normal for most Hackintoshes?

Then I tested each Device/Port by port one by one.  And found that one USB 3.0 to SATA adapter for SSD's/2.5" HDD's was another culprit.  Whenever a drive was plugged into this, the computer woke from sleep immediately.  Which I'm guessing can explain the wake reason I was constantly getting in my sleep log:

localhost kernel[0]: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: XHC

21 hours ago, RandomTech said:

This is Mald0n answer once I asked that in last Nov ''is a common problem in many cases, eject after sleep, now the error is back, apple change again''

On 12/31/2018 at 11:20 PM, Hervé said:

As RandomTech stated, Clover will help a lot through its on-the-fly facility. However, sometimes, Clover cannot patch everything and you still have to call on a patched DSDT.

However, the BIOS update did not resolve the issue of the ASMEDIA Gen 2 Ports ejecting devices after sleep.

I'm using Jettison to temporarily resolve the issue and safely eject those external drives.

But How would one create a patched DSDT for the ASMEDIA Controller?

Is this ASMedia controller integrated to the motherboard or an add-on card?

Please post your extracted BIOS tables.

9 hours ago, Hervé said:

Is this ASMedia controller integrated to the motherboard or an add-on card?

Please post your extracted BIOS tables.

Thanks Herve,

It is integrated into the motherboard.

I've attached the run me app zip.

Appreciate you looking into it.

Ioreg Reads for the ASMEDIA 3.1 controller as:

The 3.1 controllers for the back USB gen 2 ports are controlled by:
RP05@1C,4/IOPP/PXSX@0/PXSX@01000000
PRT1@01100000 (type C) (3.1 speeds)
PRT2@01200000 (type A) (3.1 speeds)
PRT3@01300000 (type C) (2.0 speeds)
PRT4@01400000 (type A) (2.0 speeds)

The 1 x 3.1 type C port on the front panel is controlled by:
RP07@1C,6/IOPP/PXSX@0/PXSX@01000000
HS01@00300000 (2.0 speed)
SS01@00100000 (3.1 Speed) 

There is also a SS02@0010000 under this controller, and as far as I can tell it does not have a function.

Send me Values-iMac.zip