X-platform IM'ing

Mr.Sticky

6 posts in this topic

Hey Guys,

After a few months of messing around and going from stable setups to nuking my system (involving more reloads than I'd like to think about), i think I finally have my dual boot system settled -well, until 10.5 is out at least :(

Like many of you, I have my Mozilla suite (Firefox/Thunderbird/Sunbird) profiles shared between XP and OSX. The last program which I rely upon in both environments is instant messaging.

So far I've been using Trillian in Xp and Adium in OSX, however I recently gave winGaim a shot and was fairly happy with what I saw. Being an Open Source project which currently runs on a few platforms I was hoping to get it configured for both of mine.

So, i've done some googling, and started working on getting the program running, (I have DarwinPorts and Fink installed so far) but figured I'd give a call out to see if others have successfully gotten such a project working.

Anyone? Anyone? :thumbsdown_anim:

IAN

Yeah, I read about that somewhere. I think both Fire and Adium do use Gaim code. However, using a central profile is my goal. I'm in the process of getting GAIM working, and i'll tell ya.. it's a pain..

I might write up a manual once i get it figured out for those interested.

IAN

Adium is good.. but there's a few things that just dont rub me the right way about it.

In particular, it doesn't mute audio when you're away. So in the middle of the night my computer is going 'ding-dong' when people go online/offline (i set it to use Trillian sounds which i'm used to).

The plugins are there, and people have done some good work to put together a bunch, but i find they're kinda mickey-mouse (the icon sets and such) and dont really have any 'that's cool!' ones.

Dont get me wrong, it's a great program for sure. However, i've warmed to Gaim really quickly and like its cross-platform nature.

Anyway, I'm making progress, but I think i'm going to end up being an 'OSX Coder' myself by the time I get this sucker running. :)

IAN

Ok, so i spent a few hours downloading and compiling a whole bunch of libraries in order to try and compile Gaim only to come to the realization that GTK+2 (the gnome desktop window manager) doesnt run on OSX -yet. Basically you need X11 in order to get it going.

The long and the short of it is, download darwinports:

http://darwinports.opendarwin.org/

Follow the instructions for getting that updated and running fully, then open Terminal and run

sudo port install gaim

and you should get a functional Gaim v2.0 beta 3. It's not up to the beta 5 release on Gaim's site, but in order to get that updated i think someone at MacPorts <http://www.macports.org/> has to get on that.

Anyway, to get your home directory shared, in Windows Gaim set your environment variable with these instructions:

http://www.lib.unc.edu/reference/eref/gaim/env_var.html

Then in OSX you'll need to create a symbolic link in your User directory.

Run Terminal

cd ~/
mv .gaim .gaimold
ln -s /Volumes/[drive name and full path] .gaim

Now Gaim will be running off of a shared profile. It seems to share the profile fine between beta 3 on OSX and beta 4 on Windows (i had problems with beta 5). The only problem is that sound doesnt work -which i think has to do with the X11 interface. I havent had a chance to figure out adding plugins, but the included ones are pretty good.

The whole process should take only about 15 minutes to do so i'd recommend giving it a shot. Until GTK+ is ported (which could be a while to never) i think this is the only solution for getting Gaim to run, unless anyone out there has more experience compiling apps, and in particular finding a way to get GTK hacked together.

Cheers!

IAN