USB 3.0 Problem Hackintosh Mojave 10.14.1

rdall96

10 posts in this topic

Hello everyone!

I am fairly new to the world of Hackintosh. I recently moved my previous build into a smaller form factor. However, I am running into a series of problems with the USB ports on the new case and the new motherboard.

Part List:

- i7-7700k

- Gigabyte Z270N Gaming 5

- 16GB Trident Z RGB 3200 MHz

- Sapphire RX 470

- NZXT Kraken x62

- NZXT H200 for the case

Everything in the Hackintosh works just like it did before, nothing changed in the hardware department other than the motherboard (previously a gigabyte Z20X Ultra) and the case.

This motherboard does not have any USB 2.0 ports in the back, there is only one header on the board, currently taken by the Kraken x62. The rest of the ports are all either USB 3.1 Gen1 or USB 3.1 Gen2, and the front of the case has 3.1 Gen1 ports as well.

This is my current problem:

When I plug something into either the type A or type C Gen2 ports, it works fine as a normal USB 3.x device with normal speeds, but when I plug something into any other USB port, it only works at lower 2.0 speeds. This is a big problem for me, since I have a few external devices that need the 3.0+ speeds and I don't know what to do.
I tried to follow many different guides on how to patch USB ports, remove the limits, etc... But nothing seems to work.

Please someone help me!

4 hours ago, styrian said:

Hello and welcome!

You could try this solution: https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/335018-intel-fb-patcher-v163/

Have fun.

I tried this, but with zero success. The problem persists and when I plug in a USB 3.0 drive and run a speed test, it still goes at 2.0 speeds.

Any other ideas of what could be causing this?

Hello!

Platform search give this matches: https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/search/?&q="gigabyte z270n"&search_and_or=or&sortby=relevancy

An other suggestion: I would try to get the device fully running with, let's say, High Sierra. For 10.13 there should be more to find for solving problems, even on similar hardware. Should be perhap easier to do for a newcomer.

Have fun.

14 hours ago, styrian said:

Hello!

Platform search give this matches: https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/search/?&q="gigabyte z270n"&search_and_or=or&sortby=relevancy

An other suggestion: I would try to get the device fully running with, let's say, High Sierra. For 10.13 there should be more to find for solving problems, even on similar hardware. Should be perhap easier to do for a newcomer.

Have fun.

I'm not sure what I am looking for in that link, most people are having issues with sleep, which works just fine for me.

And I had a fully working high sierra before, but that was before I changed the motherboard, so it could generate the same issue. Would a reinstall of Mojave 10.14 help?

3 minutes ago, rdall96 said:

And I had a fully working high sierra before, but that was before I changed the motherboard

Hello!

That is the reason for your not correct working system.

6 minutes ago, rdall96 said:

I'm not sure what I am looking for in that link

Many users are naming their threads withasking for halp too common, like you did in this case. Therfore you can´t get the most time no concret solutions for the problem. The answers now are as common as you have  named your thread.

As you can see it is hard to find a solution for your problem in the by me linked matches.

There are many users, who are cherrypickers, giving no so support to anybody, or are only interested in the type of device ,which they by themselves own.

If I were you, I would add the name and type of motherboard in the thread title like this: ......Gigabyte ZN270, for having more chance to get concret support.

Have fun.

13 hours ago, styrian said:

Hello!

That is the reason for your not correct working system.

Many users are naming their threads withasking for halp too common, like you did in this case. Therfore you can´t get the most time no concret solutions for the problem. The answers now are as common as you have  named your thread.

As you can see it is hard to find a solution for your problem in the by me linked matches.

There are many users, who are cherrypickers, giving no so support to anybody, or are only interested in the type of device ,which they by themselves own.

If I were you, I would add the name and type of motherboard in the thread title like this: ......Gigabyte ZN270, for having more chance to get concret support.

Have fun.

Okay, thank you!

I will keep that in mind for the next time I will run into an issue. I didn't think of it and now that you said it it makes a lot of sense.

Anyway, I was gonna come here to say I fixed it! I ended up reinstalling fresh from Mojave 10.14 and cleaning my EFI Folder as well, which I then copied into the fresh installation. And done! USB ports all work as they should now, don't know the reason, but I'm happy.

Thanks to everyone who responded on the topic trying to help!