Fraught

Mojave 10.14.1 Breaks Radeon Hardware Decoding (no IGPU)

36 posts in this topic

Hi,

i am on 10.14.2 final and use SMBIOS iMac 18.3 and have the dummy141.kext, lilu installed and have a deactivated IGPU. My GPU is the RX580.

I can confirm, that with the dummy141.kext iTunes DRM is fine and also Airplay Mirroring is possible.

But I still cannot use the HEVC or H264 hardware encoding. If I do the test in Videoproc my system is hanging and needs to be rebooted. 

Anything I can try to fix?

Already tried with and without WEG, tried with active IGPU and without - still not success.

Regards,

Florian

Advertisement
20 hours ago, fzahn said:

Hi,

i am on 10.14.2 final and use SMBIOS iMac 18.3 and have the dummy141.kext, lilu installed and have a deactivated IGPU. My GPU is the RX580.

I can confirm, that with the dummy141.kext iTunes DRM is fine and also Airplay Mirroring is possible.

But I still cannot use the HEVC or H264 hardware encoding. If I do the test in Videoproc my system is hanging and needs to be rebooted. 

Anything I can try to fix?

Already tried with and without WEG, tried with active IGPU and without - still not success.

Regards,

Florian

Have you the last clover's and lilu's versions ? iGPU must be active (not auto). Pour ma part j'ai le même smbios que toi, pas d'ACPI (à part Rename HDAS), pas de patch kernel, juste intel et ati cochés dans graphics. Pas de WEG... Le minimum quoi !

Edited by Gradou

Thanks for your help.

Yes, have latest clover and lilu.

If I have IGPU active, then VIdeoproc works, but seems to use IGPU and also then iTunes DRM is broken

If I disable IGPU, then iTUnes DRM is working, but Videoproc not.

Regards,

Florian

On 12/9/2018 at 10:24 AM, fzahn said:

Thanks for your help.

Yes, have latest clover and lilu.

If I have IGPU active, then VIdeoproc works, but seems to use IGPU and also then iTunes DRM is broken

If I disable IGPU, then iTUnes DRM is working, but Videoproc not.

Regards,

Florian

As I understood, reading various forum threads, it's one or the other unfortunately: DRM correct, no HEVC. HEVC correct, no DRM!

Maybe someone will eventually find a workaround.

5 hours ago, JuniorGump said:

This problem persists on 10.4.4.

Same here, i am on original Mac Pro 5.1 and RX 580 8gb Pulse.

I've been able to keep the 10.14.5 AppleGVA framework (ITunes DRM ok, don't know about encoding/decoding) issuing the following commands in terminal:

defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA gvaForceAMDAVCDecode -boolean yes
defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA gvaForceAMDAVCEncode -boolean yes
defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA gvaForceAMDKE -boolean yes

Yes i mentioned this new flags a couple of days ago in the WEG Support Topic , although the first two GVA Flags didnt do much  the main driver here is the 3rd one -> 

gvaForceAMDKE

with that flag  im getting H264 En / decoding to work and HEVC Decoding  but not HEVC Encoding  on an iMac18,1 smbios. (igpu disabled)

and iTunes DRM as well working but Netflix HTML 5 is broken again for that i would have to rollback to the previous version of GVA like i proposed.