Naki

Confused with new VMware Workstation 15 VMware Tools

5 posts in this topic

TWO issues here:

Unlike older versions, somehow Automatic VMware Tools update is broken now, was fine in versions 14.x and 12.x. (as you maybe know, the unlucky 13 version number was skipped :))

In those, I could easily & correctly update VMware Tools for my Mac OS Guests - my Host OS is Windows 10 64-bit Enterprise.

However, in VMware Workstation 15 it seems VMware Tools for Mac has now branched off into TWO versions - for Mac OS X 10.11 or higher, and for those older.

So, issue #1 is this:

1) On all kinds of Mac OS Guests I tried, automatic update now offers a very old VMware Tools from Sept 2016, and not the recent one from 2018! Why?

2) Okay, I used my Evernote skills :) and found the FTP for direct manual VMware Tools ISO download after a bit of digging around. This works, but only on mac OS 10.11 or newer Guests.
I still use Mac OS X 10.10, 10.9 and 10.8, however, so I need this for those also.

What is the latest VMware Tools version for those? Will this be not updated by VMware anymore? :(

Edited by Naki

Advertisement

I assume you use my unlocker. Get the latest version 3 and run gettools.exe. You should end up with the lastest iso images for macOS in the VMware installation folder. You will need to manually load these as attached CD-ROM in the guests and then update.

The "Install VMware Tools" menu item and auto update never ran reliably as Workstation and Player are not supposed to support macOS as a guest.

Edited by Donk

18 hours ago, Donk said:

I assume you use my unlocker. Get the latest version 3 and run gettools.exe. You should end up with the lastest iso images for macOS in the VMware installation folder. You will need to manually load these as attached CD-ROM in the guests and then update.

The "Install VMware Tools" menu item and auto update never ran reliably as Workstation and Player are not supposed to support macOS as a guest.

Yes, I do use latest Unlocker, thanks. Okay, thanks - will try.

Nope. :) These function indeed used to work not reliably as you say - I am using VMware Workstation+Unlocker for over 4 years now - but for the last 1, maybe 2 years this was just fine for me.  :)

It IS still fine on newer macOS versions for me recently. I will try what you said on the older ones.

One more thing, so that I do not create a 2nd thread, please. Is there a way to check the VMware Tools version I have installed on my Guest OSes?
With Windows guest OS, I know how to check but not so on Mac.

I see there IS a way to see latest installed versions in the Installed software info, which is kind of what helps, but not exactly. 

Edited by Naki

You can open Terminal in macOS and run:

/Library/Application\ Support/VMware\ Tools/vmware-tools-daemon -v