Jump to content
MinusZwei

APFS support is coming!

21 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi guys,

 

I was really frustrated when Mojave got released, since the installer did not let us the possibility to control the APFS conversion...

...so I started to google around and found out that:

1. Apple finally released some kind of high-level APFS specification for read-only access (https://developer.apple.com/go/?id=apfs-file-format-spec)

2. An APFS driver for FUSE was already available on github (https://github.com/sgan81/apfs-fuse)

 

Using both, I was able to write a pre-alpha-unstable-whatever APFS driver that is:

- able to parse the first non-encrypted volume of an APFS container

- supports ASCII path lookup

 

Basically, a driver that is able to boot (at the moment) macOS High Sierra installed inside an AFPS container.

I still need to clean my code, but I will publish a patch for Enoch pretty soon....

 

Stay tuned!

M. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advertisement
17 hours ago, MinusZwei said:

Basically, a driver that is able to boot (at the moment) macOS High Sierra installed inside an AFPS container.

 

After adding the missing patches for the kernel patcher from CrazyBirdy, I can also confirm that Mojave is booting.

So, long story short, no Enoch is not dead yet :P

Edited by MinusZwei

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 10/8/2018 at 9:44 AM, MinusZwei said:

 

After adding the missing patches for the kernel patcher from CrazyBirdy, I can also confirm that Mojave is booting.

So, long story short, no Enoch is not dead yet :P

giphy.gif

Edited by Pavo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Pavo said:

 

giphy.gif

 

Hey! That's unfair:

I personally did not let it die... but I saw many forum posts that were basically saying "Enoch's dead since it will never support APFS"

 

I am using Chameleon/Enoch since day 1, and I even made several commits that helped supporting newer macOS versions :P

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, crazybirdy said:

I'm waiting for the final APFS enoch release.:thumbsup_anim:

 

Should be coming pretty soon...

I am cleaning my code as we speak, but it looks like the file-system layer of Enoch is "leaking by design" :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, MinusZwei said:

Should be coming pretty soon...

I am cleaning my code as we speak, but it looks like the file-system layer of Enoch is "leaking by design" :D

 

By the way.

Now I have two CPU, E8400 vs i3-2100.

on E8400, Enoch r2909, r2910 boot fine with 10.12.6, 10.13.6, 10.14.0

on i3-2100, Enoch r2909, r2910 boot fine with 10.12.6, 10.13.6, but 10.14.0 gets panic, reboot after some boot log as pictures(take 10.13.6 boot log for ex.) below.

 

panic after apfs_module_start, and reboot

it could be mcache, mbinit issue, right? still don't know how to solve it.

 

So, I'm wiating for your new APFS boot file, and hope to be lucky to boot my i3-2100.:)

 

1014.thumb.gif.163acf64fb946e053c8ee275b711a371.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, crazybirdy said:

panic after apfs_module_start, and reboot

it could be mcache, mbinit issue, right? still don't know how to solve it. 

 

This sounds completely independent from my modifications...

 

My changes does patch nor affect the behavior of Mojave itself:

It is nothing more than a read-only APFS driver for Enoch so that it is able to find and load files on an APFS volume.

Nothing that would affect the way macOS reacts after boot is started.

 

Just out of curiosity, which machine are you emulating in your smbios.plist?

It might well be that the APFS module is expecting some CPU features based on the SMBIOS data that your i3 does not have...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, MinusZwei said:

 

This sounds completely independent from my modifications...

 

My changes does patch nor affect the behavior of Mojave itself:

It is nothing more than a read-only APFS driver for Enoch so that it is able to find and load files on an APFS volume.

Nothing that would affect the way macOS reacts after boot is started.

 

Just out of curiosity, which machine are you emulating in your smbios.plist?

It might well be that the APFS module is expecting some CPU features based on the SMBIOS data that your i3 does not have...

 

I set imac13,1 for both E8400, i3-2100, clover, enoch work fine all, except i3-2100 10.14

all right, never mind.

I can still use E8400 test your new boot with APFS later.:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, MinusZwei said:

First set of patches has been sent to ErmaC for integration.

... , there will also be a fix for a regression that prevented old OS X to boot (black screen issue)

 

done! https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/231075-chameleon-24svn-official-pkg-installer/?page=173&tab=comments#comment-2640888

 

23 hours ago, MinusZwei said:

Among APFS support

 

Stay tuned :) 

 

Here we go :D

 

Enoch_2922_APFSv1.zip

 

All credits go to MinusZwei.

 

Cordially

ErmaC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, ErmaC said:

All credits go to MinusZwei.

 

Untrue:

Credits also goes to Apple that released a very nice PDF describing APFS internals but more over to Simon Gander that created a very nice APFS FUSE driver.

I have _only_ took both as basis and implemented what was needed to boot a "classic" un-encrypted APFS volume.

Edited by MinusZwei

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, ErmaC said:

Other test V2

--> Enoch_2922_APFSv2.zip

Courtesy of MinusZwei

 

This version is very close to final :)

Would appreciate if you could give it a try (with either HS or Mojave) and let me know any issue you might face...

 

<troll>Enoch will have APFS support even before NVIDIA release new web drivers...</troll>

Edited by MinusZwei

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am receiving a Memory allocation error when attempting to use this revision.

 

The error text is "Memory allocation error! Addr: 0x0, Size: 0x40, xml.c Line: 1176"

 

This is a non recoverable error! System HALTED!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×