A plist patch that's not working in Mojave

J Lamp

9 posts in this topic

I have an Areca 1882 raid card in my rig. It's natively supported under OSX by the /Library/Extensions/ArcMSR.kext.

Under High Sierra I used a plist patch to change

<key>Physical Interconnect Location</key>
			<string>External</string>

to

<key>Physical Interconnect Location</key>
			<string>Internal</string>

Not a big deal, it simply changes all the drive icons from orange to silver (all the drives are not removable.)

Anyway, worked great under High Sierra and prior versions, but no longer under Mojave.

The patch I'm using is 

<dict>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>Areca Raid Internal Icon Patch</string>
				<key>Disabled</key>
				<false/>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>
				PHN0cmluZz5FeHRlcm5hbDwvc3RyaW5nPg==
				</data>
				<key>InfoPlistPatch</key>
				<true/>
				<key>Name</key>
				<string>com.Areca.ArcMSR</string>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>
				PHN0cmluZz5JbnRlcm5hbDwvc3RyaW5nPg==
				</data>
			</dict>

My plist patch for the Fresco USB 3 ID works, so I know the issue isn't Clover. The ArcMSR.kext was updated in Mojave, but the basic info seems the same. Can anyone offer advice on what's wrong? I was wondering if perhaps Mojave is handling third party extension from /Library/Extensions differently than earlier versions.

Kext is loading for sure. I recently edited the plist directly (External > Internal) and repaired permissions to get rid of the orange icons, it worked.

The only thing I can think of is that perhaps Mojave is handling kexts in the Library/Extensions folder differently from S/L/E. As I said, my plist patch for FL1009 USB 3 ID is working, so Clover is doing it's thing, just not for this kext.

Edited by J Lamp

If the plist is not in the cache then Clover can't patch it.

I may propose to use codeless kext for this purpose or use well-known binary patch "External"->"Internal".

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 10/11/2018 at 6:49 PM, J Lamp said:

Kext is loading for sure. I recently edited the plist directly (External > Internal) and repaired permissions to get rid of the orange icons, it worked.

The only thing I can think of is that perhaps Mojave is handling kexts in the Library/Extensions folder differently from S/L/E. As I said, my plist patch for FL1009 USB 3 ID is working, so Clover is doing it's thing, just not for this kext.

Did you ever figure this one out? I'm having the same issue with the HighPointIOP and HighPointRR kexts for my RocketRaid card.

• 3 years later...

Yes, I had started injecting the parameter I needed through FakeSMC, but I've now moved on to VirtualSMC. In the end the fix was quite simple, I simply created an injector kext that added the parameter I needed (I've attached an example, which you can likely adapt for your own use.)

For the Areca card I simply copied the info from the actual plist for the Areca kext, made my modifications and gave it a higher IOProbeScore.

( I really should turn on email notifications for my posts, this is 3 years after the fact. Sorry about that.)

Anyway this may still be useful to you or someone else with a similar question.

X299-USB-Port_and_others.kext.zip