wstrohm

Boot Camp on Mac 10.13.6

1 post in this topic

Cannot install Windows 7 on MacBook Air (13" mid-2013) running MacOS 10.13.6. Long story here. Originally, using the OEM 128 GB NVMe SSD, had one success with Boot Camp Assistant and a 36 GB Boot Camp partition. But it left only 8 GB free for apps. The partition could not be sized other than 8 GB or 36 GB because the Boot Camp Assistant software was failing in some way. I wanted more storage anyway, so I replaced the OEM SSD with a Kingston 480 GB NVMe SSD (+ Sintech adapter). That SSD worked (and works) fine, under Mac OS. Tried installing Windows 7 Ultimate once again using same process, but the partition sizes available were still only 8 GB and 36 GB.

I reinstalled MacOS 10.13.6 and that fixed the Boot Camp partitioning and allowed me a "Divide Equally" choice, so now I had (and have) 240 GB for Mac OS and 240 GB for a Windows partition. But now after the partitioning, and using either my original Microsoft download of the Win 7 ISO or a re-download of it, the Windows installer on my Kingston USB2 "Traveler" flash drive (which worked before) fails. Boot Camp Assistant takes me through the steps choosing the Windows installer as the startup disk, the computer does restart, I can see the screen light up to a dark (but not black) display, but the USB2 flash drive LED light is off (no activity compared to when it was/is used on Mac OS), and nothing else happens. If I manually choose the Windows installer by powering up with the Option key pressed, I get the choice of "Windows" or "MBA SSD" (the Mac OS partition), I can select the "Windows" icon, but although the computer restarts as I mentioned, the USB2 drive acts dormant. But this is the same flash drive I used to install Windows on the 128 GB OEM SSD earlier!

Anyone? Thanks for reading!

Advertisement

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By goodflood
      Hello!

I am struggling to install Windows 7 64 bit on a new computer. The storage is M2 and it has 8 GB RAM.

The system is assembled by a company and not much information about the mobo is available.

I simply want to install windows 7, preferably only... but I could leave an untouched Mac version on a partition if needed.

Is this something Clover will be able to help me do?

I have read many guides but a lot of them talk about dual-booting with macOS.

Thanks!

• By Mr.Harambe
      After a week of sleepless nights and reading guides, I've finally got a working hackintosh with full QE/Cl on hd5500 on Broadwell (will post a guide soon). thanks to RehabMan , Andres ZeroCross and many others.
      The only problem left is dual booting. Please consider the following points before suggesting a possible fix.

I have to boot on same drive I had Windows 7 (legacy) already installed I made a partition in Win7 then formatted it using Gparted to hfs+ on the same drive (that makes the partition scheme GPT/MBR hybrid?) then installed MRB patch on my clover USP install drive I am willing to replace windows 7 with win10(UEFI) as a last resort but I can format only the c drive instead of whole disk. Now I cant boot to mac without my clover usb no matter legacy mode or UEFI.
      Please Help?
      Specs:i5 5200u(broadwell), hd 5500 and gt940m,Intel 8 series mobo, Hp pavilion 15 ab205tx

• By dbonyad
      Hi,

I have a new 2016 iMac 5k 27", so it's got a fresh install of El Capitan. I have a fusion drive with 128GB flash and another standard hard drive.

I'm trying to use Boot Camp to install Windows 10. I have a Windows install USB, which Boot Camp detects and accepts, but every time it goes to format the hard drive for the windows install, it fails. This error is shown. This happens when trying to format either hard drive, the SSD or the HDD.

Your disk could not be partitioned. An error occurred while partitioning the disk.

I have tried all the online help about repairing the disk using Disk Utility and doing /sbin/fsck -fy in single user mode, but it makes no difference. The disk is not damaged, it's brand new!

NB: the error occurs only a few seconds into the disk formatting progress.

The only thing that I've changed on my iMac is that I've split my fusion drive into two individual hard drives (the SSD and the standard HDD) using these steps. This might be the cause of the issue, but it might not have any effect, I don't know. Even if it is causing it, there must be a work around -- I want to be able to control what I put on each hard drive myself.

Is there a work around for this?
      iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015), OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)
    • By fusion71au
      For those wanting to try Windows 10, I thought I would create a short guide on how to create a Clover/UEFI Windows 10 installer with Rufus and clean install.  This guide is tailored for legacy BIOS machines but should also work in systems with native UEFI firmware.

Prerequisites
      1.  Access to OSX and Windows to run Rufus and install Clover
      2.  Install Rufus: Download from here
      3.  Download the Windows 10 insider preview ISO (build 10074) from here. 
           Edit 29/7/15 RTM build 10240 available!:  Download MediaCreationTool.

Making the UEFI Windows Installer
      1.  In Windows, Insert a 4GB or larger USB and start Rufus with the following settings

Partition scheme and target system device = MBR for UEFI computer File System FAT32 2.  Click the “Create a bootable disk using ISO image” checkbox and the CDROM icon to browse/choose your downloaded ISO
      3.  Click Start & OK to burn the image to the USB.  Notice the USB takes on the name of the original ISO.

4.  After the image has been burned to the USB, copy bootx64.efi from the /efi/boot folder of the Windows ISO/DVD into /efi/microsoft/boot.  Rename the file to "bootmgfw.efi" and also rename cdboot.efi to cdboot.bak.

For Windows 7, you need to extract bootmgfw.efi from "install.wim" eg using 7-Zip, open the iso and navigate to \sources\install.wim\1\Windows\Boot\EFI\bootmgfw.efi and copy to efi\microsoft\boot on the USB.  
      Installing Legacy Clover (for legacy BIOS machines to boot the installer in UEFI mode)
      1.  Install Clover onto the USB drive (in OSX) with the “use alternative booting PBR” option ticked as shown below.

Note - you can also install legacy Clover onto the USB in Windows using the Bootice program - see post#23
      2.  Copy the config.plist, DSDT/SSDT.aml file(s) which are specific to your system into the Clover folder
          - Put config.plist in /EFI/CLOVER directory

- Put DSDT.aml in /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched
          - Put FakeSMC.kext and other kexts required in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.x (where x is your version of OSX)

Installation of Windows 10
      1.  Create free space on the target hard drive for Windows 10.  This can be done in OSX using Disk Utility or in Windows with Disk Management/Diskpart.exe.
      2.  It is recommended to temporarily disconnect all hard drives except the target hard drive when installing or updating Windows 10.
      3.  Boot the computer with the Installer USB, pressing <F12> (or whatever your system’s BIOS boot selection key is) to choose the USB and then pressing the number <6> key when you see Clover’s flashing underscore
      4.  At the Clover Main Menu, choose “Boot Microsoft EFI boot menu from your_USB_name” ---> start the Windows 10 installer GUI

5.  Follow the rest of the steps in this guide - http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

Notes
      Choose the “Custom: Install Windows only (advanced)” option and just select the Unallocated Space for the installation —> the correct partitions will be automatically set up At the first reboot, boot to the USB again but at the Clover Main Menu, select “Boot Microsoft EFI boot menu from EFI” As the final step, don’t forget to install Clover on the hard drive . Major version upgrades through Windows Update (as opposed to a clean install) may overwrite the bootsector so legacy Clover might need to be re-installed.  I recommend clean installing instead of letting Windows update perform an upgrade. If you run Windows 10 or 8 with Windows 7, you should turn off "Windows Hybrid Boot" to avoid chkdsk running every time you change from booting Windows 8/10 to Windows 7. Chameleon/Clover Emergency Boot Disk
      As an added bonus, by adding the attached Chameleon boot file to the root of the USB, you can use the installer as an emergency boot disk for Clover or Chameleon:

Set your BIOS to boot first from USB ---> when you see the flashing underscore, press <1> to boot with Chameleon or <6> to boot with Clover .
      Chameleon v2737_boot1.zip
      Chameleon v2795_boot1.zip