USB bricked after being used to make Sierra boot USB

piscesalbafica97

2 posts in this topic

I used my Kingston 3.0 USB as a boot USB for Sierra. I created this by VMWare with Yosemite virtual image by xbytez. I still can access it untill I turn VMWare off, then I restart computer to boot in my USB. But I can't. I opened VMWare again to check the USB but it said "The disk you inserted is not readable by this computer" and has 2 options: Ignore and Eject. 

The Disk Utility options for my USB is greyed out (verify, repair, erase, partition... every single thing). I can't format it by Windows 10 too, it said that the USB is write protected. I tried every method to format my USB but nothing worked.

I set VMWare in 2.0 USB support but I pluged it to 3.0 port. May it make error?

Please help me. Thx

• 4 weeks later...

Two things you need to consider. 1 is if you were using a GPT formatting and you lost the first partition, this will happen. Windows and Mac both assume the first partition to be EFI/ESP so they will write protect it. If it disappears in a way that splats the drive, and the repair process 'fixes' the pointer to the first drive, they can assume the next partition (your data probably) is the ESP.

Try booting in OSX, verifying that your drive is present in Disk Utility (but not mounted), then close DU, open terminal and type  "sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdX bs=512 count=1" replacing hdX with the number that is your drive. You can use "diskutil list" to find that out. PLEASE BE CAUTIOUS. It will start with block 0 on any drive you point it at, meaning basically it will have killed your access to the data on the drive in the first second of wiping (block 0 will point to the partition record, so no partitions). Please make sure that you picked the right drive.

This is as close to a factory format as a PC will let you go. Essentially it's zeroing the drive, including the boot blocks.