Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
StevenToast

Overclocking i7-2600K, Asus P8Z68-V Pro Gen. 1 in High Sierra

6 posts in this topic

If someone can help me, I spent days already trying to get my system to work. I installed latest High Sierra on my current pc (see signature) and there is a list of things that don't work. Most important are two: - CPU stays flat at 1.6 GHz according to Intel Power Gadget (although it's base is 3.4 with default Turbo to 3.8)

- sleep is only working (resuming) if the wake is minutes later. overnight sleep results in coma basically (I need to turn off and turn on the PSU)

So first of all: how can I make this CPU to run at stock speeds then to go further and macOS to recognize the BIOS overclock at 4.4? (Tested in windows, works fine at this clock speed).

I can provide EFI / whatever diagnostic reports, my lady is going to kill me if I spend another day glued to the desk. 

More progress (1): I patched the bios with this (https://github.com/LongSoft/UEFITool/releases/tag/0.25.1) and removed from clover boot both DSTD and generated SSDT (because with this one installed, system hangs at boot). Now I have the overclocking working but still can't figure out how to enable sleep function.

Installed kexts: IntelMausiEthernet.kext, Lilu.kext, WhateverGreen.kext, GenericUSBXHCI.kext, USBInjectAll.kext

Edited by StevenToast

Advertisement

Thank you for the reply, I was not even aware of hibernation vs sleep thingy, this is the output of pmset -g

pmset -g
System-wide power settings:
Currently in use:
 hibernatemode        0
 halfdim              1
 womp                 1
 networkoversleep     0
 sleep                0 (sleep prevented by mds_stores, mds)
 Sleep On Power Button 1
 ttyskeepawake        1
 hibernatefile        /var/vm/sleepimage
 autorestart          0
 disksleep            15
 displaysleep         5

and after running the commands to disable hibernate

pmset -g
System-wide power settings:
Currently in use:
 hibernatemode        0
 halfdim              1
 womp                 1
 networkoversleep     0
 sleep                0 (sleep prevented by mds, AddressBookSourceSync, coreaudiod, coreaudiod, coreaudiod, REAPER, mds_stores)
 Sleep On Power Button 1
 ttyskeepawake        1
 hibernatefile        /dev/null
 autorestart          0
 disksleep            15
 displaysleep         5

I tried sleep /wake after one minute. Seems to be working although all USB drives popup error that they were not ejected properly. I'll try in the next hours to see if it can recover after one hour of sleep (as I read that is a frequent issue).

Edited by StevenToast

The messages about USB devices (drives or keys) is perfectly normal. Power is cut off USB ports during sleep. But many computers offer a BIOS option to retain power to USB ports during sleep (only if mains are plugged in on laptops).

For the rest, well, it appears you already had hibernation disabled. Check the settings of the Energy Saver PrefPane now...

Edited by Hervé

I’m away for one hour so I left the pc in sleep mode. I’ve also noticed that audio drops (it becomes intermittent when I have Spotify playing for example) when the power settings are configured to put monitor to sleep after x minutes. I have a usb audio card. I didn’t even tried to make onboard audio to work because I don’t use it.

Edited by StevenToast

I'm back.

So waking up after sleep takes minutes (2-3) - I can see the HDD activity LED blinking, and as I said, i turns on the display after 2-3 minutes of crunching.

I still think my CPU is not working properly as it jumps between 4.40 GHz (the overclock value), 3 GHz and 1.6 Ghz - always between these 3.

Thing is, I generated with F4 in Clover/Acpi/origin a lot of DSDT and SSDT files but I can't find anywhere instructions on what to do with these files. I generated an SSDT locally with SSDTprgen but as soon as I place the file inside /patched the system hangs at boot

I've read English, German, French and Russian forums on P8Z68-V Pro and I could not get answers from anywhere. Help?